Survivor Series 2017 Reaction Thread

NoUseforaUsername

Echo the comments made in this thread. I quite enjoyed the WWE PPV up until the main event but a few things.

Positives:

- Triple H vs Strowman to me sounds better than Triple H vs Angle. Hoping this one goes to Wrestlemania but you know the WWE will do the authority thing and cost him at every opportunity (e.g. Rumble) and we will all be bored come WrestleMania with it all.

- Styles/Brock - Great match and wouldn't mind seeing this at WrestleMania if they can make it possible. Styles just looks better with every passing week.

- Thought most of the card was solid and given how every match appeared big there was no real piss break match so fans would be burned out naturally I think, this is where they could of thrown the Cruiserweight match between Styles/Brock & Main Event.

- Corbins promo & Nia Jax's hair.

- Strowman - I did love him at the end.

Negatives:

- Order of the card. I thought Styles/Brock should have gone somewhere on the card where the outcome was less predictable, yeah we knew Brock would never lose but when it was 3-2 to Smackdown it was obvious the decider would go to the final match (although lets be honest we all knew it would be tied going into that anyway) so I think this took away something slightly from the match. 

- Cena - Everyone was pretty much dressed in red & blue and he comes out in Green looking like a total pleb.

- Angle - Seems really slow and has aged terribly, have always been a fan but he looks like he is struggling, not convinced I want to see him against Triple H at Mania now after last nights showing. 

- Given all the siege stuff that has gone on, you would have thought at the end there would be more interference & shenanigans going on (I don't really include Owens/Zayn in this) to try and win the match, where was Jason Jordan when Kurt was taken out? No Daniel Bryan? No rosters fighting? 

- There needs to be something on the line in these matches, I still think an incentive towards the Rumble would work here, whether thats guaranteed more numbers, winners having slots 16-30 etc. 

I thought it was a decent show, just the main event towards the end ran out of steam, they could have even done something during the show like a womans MITB cash in, having that match end in no contest and the tag match ending in a tie/going into overtime and then Jason Jordan coming out to save the day or something....(or screwing Raw over). 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

One of the four wrestling things I watch a year.

The Shield vs The New Day - it was alright, not really vintage Shield. The New Day don't really suit their style, they're better off against someone they can ponce around with.

Women's Raw vs Women's Smackdown - the crowd were as flat as a witch's tit until Asuka got involved. She seems to be great, as all reports have suggested. Alicia Fox is still terrible. Naomi is still crap although her entrance is good. I really fancy Carmella. This was pretty good.

Alan Shearer vs The Miz - The Miz did his best but Corbin is still shite.

The Usos vs Sheamus / Cesaro - cracking match, this. I've always liked The Usos. Why does Cesaro always have that stupid tape on his shoulder?

Charlotte vs Alexa Bliss - Charlotte is the business. Alexa Bliss is great. They should find a way to make this into a long-running feud, at least the Rumble when I watch wrestling again.

Lesnar vs AJ Styles - probably the best of the event. Still think AJ must be gutted he spent all those years in shitty TNA. He'd have about 12 or 13 proper world titles by now.

Everyone else vs Everyone else - Angle should retire, he looked awful, I'm really sad to say because he's one of my favourites ever. Cena obviously can't be bothered anymore, which is fair enough, he's more than done his bit. Shane should stop being in matches now, the novelty has worn off. Everyone else was pretty good. Why wasn't Cena wearing blue? Why wasn't Jinder Mahal in this match? I'm glad he wasn't because he's dreadful, but from world champion to not even on the event? I'm assuming lots of people are crying that Nakamura's being buried because he lost first, that's how wrestling fans used to be. Shite ending though.

Cena wore green cos he was reppin' Velocity. He loves those Paul London v Akio matches.

AJ/Brock should've gone on last, terrific match. Surpassed my expectations, though it wouldn't have if Brock actually turned up to work when he has a match, as when he can be arsed he is truly one of the best around. Wish the Joe and Braun matches felt this competitive.

Usos/Bar was great, that fucking leap tag by The Usos. New Day & Shield was also really good but didn't quite match my expectation. I put some of the blame for that on those terrible half-and-half shirts that Rollins & Ambrose put on (not helping Roman's case by making him seem like he's above wearing it either, even though he obviously is; they all are) and the "you still suck" nonsense from the Bullet Club fans, but once it got over that it got a good rhythm and was very fun. Love me some Big E.

Everything else was pretty consequential. The survivor series matches were terrible. Was well up for the men's match when entrances started to hit, and it started off very fun but once Naka and Roode went the crowd went with them. Terrible job of making the current generation look good. And that fuckin pedigree on Kurt Angle, damn, that match is gonna be a banger ey?

• Awards Moderator
6 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Seriously disappointed with 2 of the 3 bits I was really interested in. I thought Sheild/New Day was the most disappointing match I can remember for ages. Something with real potential that just never meshed. The FUCKING HORRIBLE commentary really hurt it. Booker was all over it talking shite. Michael Cole said at one point something like "If this becomes a brawl, you've got to go with the New Day". Honestly. It wasn't bad, don't get me wrong but it could have been special.

Brock/AJ was really good. Brock had his working boots on and let AJ shine. Really enjoyed this.

Wasn't arsed about the other title v title matches. So just the main event which was a bit of a shocker. I thought at the start that they let you know who the real stars are when Triple H and Shane have got custom red & Blue gear and all the other jobbers are in those shit red & blue T-Shirts. I just don't think they could have booked it any differently to what I would have done. The only redeeming feature was that it was Strowman left standing at the end but it was a star-making opportunity and the only one who came out strong was the only one who went in strong. That's a waste of time.

Get out of my head Rick! You've echoed my thoughts pretty accurately there.

You're spot on with the disappointment of Shield - New Day. Felt really let down by that one, maybe I was expecting too much.

Brock and AJ was incredible, so pleased Brock decided to put the effort into it. AJ was a masterful underdog, had me rooting for him completely. Phenomenal has never been more accurate. Lesnar's best one on one match in years (excepting the first Goldberg spectacle). It felt like a proper fight while still feeling like a proper wrestling match, if that makes sense.

The main event started off great with all the cool combinations of people who'd never met in the ring before, but devolved into a pile of shite once it went down to the part timers and the pace slowed to whatever's slower than a crawl. Glad Braun was the last man standing, but talk about a match falling off a cliff. From the excitement of seeing Joe, Nakamura and Roode in with Angle, Orton and HHH to the last portion - I know what I'd rather be watching.

On the rest of the card - tag match and Flair/Bliss were good, didn't really pay attention to women's match and Miz/Corbin.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, simonworden said:

Did anyone else find it really annoying when Cole kept refering to Nakamura as Shin. Not sure why but it got utterly on my nerves. 

I wouldn't say it annoyed me but it made me think too much about whether it was normal and I've just missed it or whether he just started doing it at the behest of Vince because he wants to sell some T-Shirts with it on or something.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, simonworden said:

Did anyone else find it really annoying when Cole kept refering to Nakamura as Shin. Not sure why but it got utterly on my nerves. 

It really annoyed me. I was kind of glad in a way that Nakamura got eliminated so I didn't have to hear that anymore. 

I was so looking forward to that main event and was let down by that shitty ending. And those eliminations wouldn't have been so bad if they match had gone a bit longer first. It all felt very anti climatic. 

Lesnar vs AJ was very good. AJ really is the best in the world. 

Shield/New Day was good but nowhere near the level of Shield vs Wyatts which I thought it would've topped. Only other good match of note was The Usos vs The Bar.

• Paid Members

It wasn't a bad event by any stretch, but for such a strong looking card I wouldn't say any of it properly delivered aside from AJ vs Brock, but that was marred by obvious booking due to the point-keeping. The main event looked to be something special but they ruined it by eliminating all of the new blood except Braun. It was hard to digest a 2017 Main Event that came down to Kurt Angle, Triple H, Randy Orton, John Cena, Shane McMahon and Braun Strowman. Admittedly they're some of the names that probably drew interest in the first place because nobody surely is tuning in to see Finn "Oi love me Legos" Balor or Bobby Roode, but they shouldn't be the focus of the show.

Watched it round my mate's and we could see the finishes and results coming a mile off, but it was still fun to watch for the most part. Nothing more confusing though than a company slagging off one of its shows as a B Show and then booking it to lose every important match on the card. It'd be like if Gary Linekar told everyone not to bother watching the second half of Match of The Day because all the shit teams were playing.

One thing I will give it though is that Braun Strowman came out of it looking like the scariest man alive when he was choking HHH and HHH looked like he was legit crying and terrified. I felt bad for him!

• Paid Members

If you wanted Braun to look even more like a monster, have him go through people like Diesel did in 1994. There's no reason why he should have beaten Roode, Nakamura, Orton and Cena. Then have HHH take the glory by pinning Shane, leading to the end angle with HHH shitting himself. Just odd booking alround in the main event.

Impressed at how hilariously inept the booking in the main event was. Fucking hell. 

It's just incredible how short sighted WWE are. They are literally only capable of having one spotlight, one focus, one scrap of attention focused on one thing at the time. The guys that looked good, and motivated were amongst the first chucked out. How could you look at an apron containing Cena, Orton and Shane McMahon and give a flying fuck? Has Cena ever seemed like more of a spare part? Granted, he's already gotten one foot out of the door, but he felt so incredibly out of place in there. Orton looked totally lackadaisical as per, and the initial niche of having Shane wrestle has worn right off. I'll go into more detail later but yeah, a stupendously weird match in a solid enough show.

AJ is by far the best worker the company has at the moment. One of the few guys who can attain something good no matter what, or who he's working with. Comedy stuff with Ellsworth? Go on then. Go out and make Jinder Mahal look good? No worries. Bump around the arena for Brock? Easy work. He's so versatile and awesome.

I enjoyed most of it but fucking hell that crowd were awful. I feel awful saying that because I moan about quiet crowds but booing Reigns but then the whole crowd doing the "HOOOOO-HAAAAA" (tm Pacino in Scent of a Woman) is just pitiful as were the New Japan chant and the "woop woop too sweet" (I've assumed that chant based on hearing it a few times but not knowing the actual chant) 

I knew they'd be insufferable from the start. 

Booker T:Well you've never won any tag titles. 

Graves: I have actually...was lol

Cole saying it's the one year a night when they all compete. It's not though is it you berk 

The Uso's are the absolute bollocks aren't they? If you'd told me 2 years ago they would be my favourite act in wrestling, I'd have said you're mental. 

I get that the whole point of the booking was Shane getting a taste of his own medicine for being overly cock but ffs how do you put together a team containing 4 guys with a total of 32 heavyweight titles between the main roster and NXT and have the non wrestler be the last man standing. Same on Raw's side, two of the biggest stars from NXT and the biggest monster on your team and the part timer COO gets the win? Having said that, you could almost see the look of a proud dad on Triple H sharing the ring with 4 of his signees 

Overall the PPV was decent, AJ/Brock was match of the night by a mile, nice to see Lesnar in a long match, first time it's happened since, I wanna say the Taker match in the Cell last year?

I hope this puts an end to Kurt having a singles match at Mania he looked like his body was ready to pack in any second. Thank fuck for AJ/Brock that match went above expectations, the New Day/Shield & The Bar/Usos were good matches but fell short as what I'd hoped. The main event yeah that  started well and best not saying anything else

Archived