Survivor Series 2017 Reaction Thread

NoUseforaUsername

37 minutes ago, boytoy said:

Something about the shield match didn’t feel right…almost as if it was wasted on the occasion. I was also irrationally annoyed by the half and half t-shirts. It seemed weird that in their first proper match back that they wouldn’t all be in their iconic gear.

Main eventer Roman Reigns selling for the fucking NEW DAY.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Generally, I enjoyed the show.

But echo the thoughts that the Shield - New Day match was a big disappointment, it seemed so far removed from the chaotic all-action outings the Shield had in their first run, or indeed New Day have recently had with the Usos.

The other thing that struck me about the show was how often there were moments where people just wandered around looking lost for 30 seconds - I think there was at least one incident of that in pretty much every match, with the exception of Brock/AJ. Unusual for that to happen so frequently on a WWE show, and I wonder what was different to make that so prevalent?

And yeah, Booker T, two minutes into the opener "You won't see much entertainment tonight guys...", for fuck's sake. I know Cole is pretty much in charge of the announcers these days (and it's clear even on air that he find's Booker's idiocy funny) but you have to assume that Vince either a) isn't in the commentator's headsets these days, b) doesn't listen to the commentators at all, or c) also finds it hilarious. Because surely he wouldn't still be out there given how quickly Foley & Striker were drummed out once they started to draw Vince's ire on a regular basis.

3 hours ago, Statto said:

And yeah, Booker T, two minutes into the opener "You won't see much entertainment tonight guys...", for fuck's sake. I know Cole is pretty much in charge of the announcers these days (and it's clear even on air that he find's Booker's idiocy funny) but you have to assume that Vince either a) isn't in the commentator's headsets these days, b) doesn't listen to the commentators at all, or c) also finds it hilarious. Because surely he wouldn't still be out there given how quickly Foley & Striker were drummed out once they started to draw Vince's ire on a regular basis.

What I want to know is why Booker is heel, like when and why did this happen, when all along he has been that dopey oaf babyface. Well, I say heel, he had a bromance moment with Cena pre-match that was fucking weird.

I don't know what Graves is, he's shit, flitting from face to heel to face, to Vince's voice to the masses. He could be helping Elias get right over, Graves is a music guy and he should be raving about it every time Elias sings. He hates Enzo.

I'm absolutely baffled by the commentary, I can't listen anymore, I want an option for just crowd noise.

I don't know whether it's because I go in with low expectations or because I don't care enough about the newer guys in the main event, but it didn't fuss me that much. Or I was too tired to care maybe.

On paper, I can see why people are shitting on it but it didn't create much in the way of any emotional response. Nakamura going out early was odd and the match went pretty shit afterwards but it was just 'meh' for me.

However, I also felt Styles and Lesnar was about the quality I expected. I enjoyed it but didn't expect anything less despite Lesnar's recent matches. It's AJ Styles. Of course it's gonna be good.

Again, maybe fatigue made me dead to it.

• Paid Members

What I felt at the time, and what I’m thinking more after reading a lot of these comments is that this really did feel ‘on the fly’, with so much sloppiness and lack of reason to some of these matches.

Only a week ago we were all chatting about the amount of random changes to the card and random decisions being a bit head scratching.

If there was an out and out plan for this event, it did feel a bit like crayon on the back of a tab packet. Very little felt rehearsed, unfortunately, very few got away with it.

Slightly disappointing main event aside I had a wonderful time watching this spread over yesterday afternoon/evening. So, so, so, SO much better than the last two PPV's. Considering how this show was looking before all the changes it ended up on paper being a severely stacked line-up which mostly was either very good or at least reached MY expectations. Up to the entrances of the main event it only sank in what an incredible couple of teams had actually been assembled. But then the bell rang and it occurred to me that they'd booked themselves into a corner and how on earth were half these guys going to be eliminated and protected at the same time. But I don't want to dwell on that too much. I don't think it hurt Nakamura and Roode too much by being eliminated by Strowman. Better than they take Pedigrees from their creator. And just having Triple H in there was a spectacle enough for me. I've experienced the last 10 years of Angle so I don't really give a toss what he does. And in the end Strowman got his moment that lasts in our memory more than the contents of the bout and hopefully makes everyone forget he incorrectly lost to Lesnar (my opinion).

I'm a little confused by all the hope and expectation in this Shield reunion. 2/3 of them are absolute shit and the other is pretended to be hated by the audience. Their triple powerbomb big finish somehow manages to be less impactful than a standard one man powerbomb by any of the men who made that move famous unless it's through an announce table. 

The Miz did probably the best thing he's ever done with a promo on a mobile phone.

Styles/Lesnar was of course brilliant. I had a horrible feeling Jinder was going to fuck this whole thing up.

Everything else was at least good.

Show needed more Goldberg though. Kudos for not shoe-horning Kane or Ziggler into it for any reason.

Certainly felt like a 'BIG 4' PPV to me. Did they do this last year because I can't remember any of it Lesnar/Goldberg aside?

Triple H in that match was baffling. He screwed over Angle. Setting something up down the line. I did think he was going to aim for Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn as part of Shane's feud with them and help him out in a potential match. But nope. Another swerve. Eliminates Shane, goes into business for himself to get Raw the win. I was waiting with bated breath for Strowman to Powerslam him. I wasn't disappointed.

Another thing with this Raw v SmackDown thing they've made Survivor Series into since Brand Split II, makes you wonder why they didn't bring Bragging Rights back to serve that purpose. They have the Big 4 as we all know, but why not a couple of B-list dual brand shows? MITB for one, you know? Don't have an issue of it being one that alternates which is what they've been doing.

5 hours ago, Jon-Carr_92 said:

Another thing with this Raw v SmackDown thing they've made Survivor Series into since Brand Split II, makes you wonder why they didn't bring Bragging Rights back to serve that purpose. They have the Big 4 as we all know, but why not a couple of B-list dual brand shows? MITB for one, you know? Don't have an issue of it being one that alternates which is what they've been doing.

What would be the hook of Survivor Series without the Raw vs SmackDown element? It was a pile of shit for years, and had been overtaken certainly by Elimination Chamber (and probably Money in the Bank too) in the PPV hierarchy. If Survivor Series didn't have the brand vs brand thing, and another PPV did, that PPV would be bigger than Survivor Series would.

3 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

What would be the hook of Survivor Series without the Raw vs SmackDown element?

Tag matches playa.

Nah Pitcos is right, plus having more dual brand B-shows runs the risk of watering down the split til it's meaningless like they did last time. And I don't want MITB briefcase holders pissing about on both shows, especially now they've introduced it for women - 4 briefcases hangin about would be a nightmare

I just have to laugh at everybody calling Smackdown the B show when they will do a draft pick in the next few months and they will all switch around anyway. 

I get that the shows want to think they are better than each other but this whole B show thing goes back so many years now since "Triple H didn't want to work Tuesdays." (That hasn't changed). 

Archived