Survivor Series 2017 Reaction Thread

NoUseforaUsername

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I know people say, "Vince is losing it," all the time, but Jesus Christ. The booking of that main event was something else. I can't think of anything in recent memory that they've booked worse. It was absolutely tone deaf. The start of that match was awesome, seeing all those new guys mixed in with the older talent, it was genuinely exciting to imagine all the different combinations of guys who've never faced each other in a WWE ring getting to mix with each other. It felt like you couldn't go wrong with that lineup. The crowd clearly felt the same, considering the big reactions when Nakamura and Roode were in there with Triple H, but then everything fell off a cliff. I genuinely can't imagine how you could book it any worse. 

It was almost comical at one point, when all the exciting new talent had been eliminated, it was as if they called an audible and sent Sami and Owens out there just so the McMahons had more new talent to beat up. Those final few moments were the worst. You could hear a pin drop by the time Triple H turned on Kurt. Proper, "oh, fuck off," silence from the crowd. Someone on Twitter said it better than I ever could; it's 2017 and three of the four guys left at the end were featured in WWF No Mercy on the N64. Unbelievable. Worst of all, I couldn't give a fuck about Kurt vs. Triple H at Wrestlemania. It feels like a waste of both of them. Just a terrible, flat ending that left an awful taste in my mouth.

The real tragedy is that until the main event this was a good show. Brock vs. AJ was all kinds of awesome. Much like Velveteen Dream the night before, AJ managed to come across spectacularly even in defeat. It's also evident how Brock has two different gears depending on if he's motivated by his opponent or not. He had his working boots on here, even if they were drenched in his sweat along with everything else, and AJ styles is legitimately one of the best ever. It made for such a great match that I'd love to see them rematch at Mania. Shame they've got The Plan.

Shield vs. New Day was good fun. Perhaps not as good as New Day vs. Usos, but still really enjoyable. I feel they could have even better matches if they were given the chance. Hopefully one of the teams switches brands soon to allow it.

That twenty second period during the women's match, where Alicia Fox and Naomi were fucking everything up, then Saxton was shouting about how it was now 2-on-2 despite it clearly being 3-on-2, was some of the worst stuff in ages. I'd love to have seen Vince backstage going crazy.

Tag match was really good. Usos are the team of the year by far.

• Paid Members

Seriously disappointed with 2 of the 3 bits I was really interested in. I thought Sheild/New Day was the most disappointing match I can remember for ages. Something with real potential that just never meshed. The FUCKING HORRIBLE commentary really hurt it. Booker was all over it talking shite. Michael Cole said at one point something like "If this becomes a brawl, you've got to go with the New Day". Honestly. It wasn't bad, don't get me wrong but it could have been special.

Brock/AJ was really good. Brock had his working boots on and let AJ shine. Really enjoyed this.

Wasn't arsed about the other title v title matches. So just the main event which was a bit of a shocker. I thought at the start that they let you know who the real stars are when Triple H and Shane have got custom red & Blue gear and all the other jobbers are in those shit red & blue T-Shirts. I just don't think they could have booked it any differently to what I would have done. The only redeeming feature was that it was Strowman left standing at the end but it was a star-making opportunity and the only one who came out strong was the only one who went in strong. That's a waste of time.

• Paid Members

Haha. In summation (Astro's post).

It wasn't just me then. I love Triple H and Kurt Angle, and if you were to tell me the ending was to set up a match between the pair, I'd be up for it, but I just felt really deflated come the end. Realistically, I doubt they can do anything with a McMahon family feud that doesn't feel like we've been on a loop for 18 years. Roode, Finn and Nakamura are bums, going on this. They continue to make Braun strong, which is never bad.
Should have been better, this. It was ok (with a rubbish finish), but you looked at everyone walk out and you realised how great WWE's roster is, but just felt a bit of a let down.

Lesnar v Styles was brilliant fun. Logical and exciting; even the couple of mistakes worked. Thing is, this is the first time these two have touched, so I think another effort would be miles ahead of this. I liked that they started out working it just like every other Lesnar squash, but soon had Styles fighting the odds, like every great babyface should. That Calf Crusher spot was absolutely perfect.
I also appreciate they've protected the F5 for ages now - usually only takes one now. I assume it's because Roman is kicking out of 50 of them.

• Paid Members

I despise Shane McMahon as a wrestler. He's just like Stephanie, hes just not as obvious about it. He has to be the biggest star and the most important person. I was infuriated when I realised he was going to be the last guy on the smack down team, even more annoyed when he made his own comeback against two of the top heels on the brand.considering how long he was standing in the ramp like a twerp, it would've actually been better if he'd just sold the beating, but hes so short sighted...

Triple H, at least, took a kinshasa and went evens with bobby Roode. 

Also, wear your brand's t shirt Shane. You're the captain. 

Positives:

- They set up HHH v Angle and ultimately HHH v Shane for the company (whenever that happens).
- Braun looks like a monster.
- We got a little taste of HHH v Roode

Negatives:

- Look, I like HHH.  I like Angle.  I like Shane.  I have no issue with these guys being on camera, in matches, I accept and embrace that ultimately WWE is the McMahon version of Dynasty.
  But this match could have been used to set up SO much more of the next 12 months of programming, and the future of WWE ultimately.   Guys like Roode, Nakamura, Balor all needed significant pins and potential future rivalries set up.  I'm not going to fantasy book but you could quickly jot down a script that sets up HHH v Angle and also primes the pump for future dream matches.

- Orton and Cena, the two largest stars of the past 15 years in WWE, look completely burnt out.  No desire, no enthusiasm, no spark with the younger guys.  I can't blame them, they've done everything and worked super hard for years, but they could both do with a couple of years off, completely off.

- Kurt Angle is probably my favourite wrestler of all time, and I'm pumped he's back and have been assuring myself he can still go, but... let's be truthful, he has aged significantly since the last proper match I saw him in (probably against Roode in 2016).  It's probably because he's genuinely clean and not doped up with painkillers but he's finally lost the intensity and precision that he still retained all the way through TNA.  His mobility looks significantly impaired.  They need to be super careful who they put him in with, and limit his performances despite his wishes.

Still and all... really fun match and PPV.  Add this to Takeover and you can see a company that is absolutely stacked with talent and that feels dynamic and interesting.

• Paid Members

Just had the thought that my first PPV after I started watching wrestling again was Summerslam 2000, in which Triple H and Kurt Angle fought each other in the main event. Thank God we've moved on in 17 years, eh?

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

you realised how great WWE's roster is, but just felt a bit of a let down.

Funny you mention this, because I was trying to work out what WrestleMania could look like the other day, and had great difficulty doing so. They have so much talent that you would expect to see at WrestleMania that even with a couple of clusterfuck matches, quite a lot of decent talent will surely miss out. At the moment, they don't have any major long-term injuries (other than Cass- wotevs) either.

The even more worrying thing is that other than Brock/Reigns and Angle/HHH I can't think of any other likely and potential matches that have had build so far. Everything being up in the air is one thing (which is becoming a trend in recent years in the months leading to Mania), but having so few guys with a bit of heat and momentum is another. Other than those two matches, Strowman has momentum and potentially AJ. The rest of the roster? Pfft.

3 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Seriously disappointed with 2 of the 3 bits I was really interested in. I thought Sheild/New Day was the most disappointing match I can remember for ages. Something with real potential that just never meshed. The FUCKING HORRIBLE commentary really hurt it. Booker was all over it talking shite. Michael Cole said at one point something like "If this becomes a brawl, you've got to go with the New Day". Honestly. It wasn't bad, don't get me wrong but it could have been special.

I don't watch much WWE nowadays but I thought it was a really good match, despite the horrendous commentary. If they had cut the team down to three (and ensured Booker T was one of the two removed) it would have improved the whole show.

Michael Cole isn't a good commentator, and I was mystified by the line you quoted too, but at least he's tons better than Booker. When Booker said "you won't see much entertainment in this match" or something to that effect in the opener I was surprised that wasn't the end of him there and then.

Archived