UFC on FOX: Lawler vs Dos Anjos - Dec 16

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Your point would maybe be stronger if Lawler's record during the USADA era didn't immediately include back-to-back two of his most famous title victories (and a win against Cerrone), where as RDA immediately lost two back-to-back when it was introduced. I'm not saying Lawler hasn't taken nowt ever, but people are going to be less suspicious of you when you kick off your USADA run with those wars against MacDonald and Condit, by comparison.

Anyway, sucks that Lawler was basically fighting on "half a leg" for the last two rounds. I had RDA winning the first two, but the 3rd was close and it was clear something terrible happened to Lawler's left leg right at the end of the 3rd. Fair play to Lawler, he's as game as anything ever to exist on earth, but he had no chance after that. Shame too, because I felt RDA slow down, but Lawler just couldn't maintain his output and game plan with two bad legs.
All credit to RDA, who is once again terrifying and I can't wait to see RDA v Woodley. Mostly because RDA will never give Woodley the sort of rest periods he requires to maintain his explosiveness and cardio, which can also mean it forced Woodley to engage more - win win.

A shame for him Ngannou is a thing, because Emmet would be in with a shout of KO of the year. You could immediately see the power difference, but it was as clean a connection as you'll get.

Gutted for Mike Perry. It was a thrilling 2 rounds, but the difference in quality told in the end. Perry needed that, but hopefully he can get back on a run. Ponz just had a bit too much about him and, while Perry's power is undeniable, he was off a lot with his power punches.

Enjoyed that show.

• Paid Members

Yeah, it was a really good show. The UFC have had a really strong year for show quality. Slow first couple of months but from about April onwards it's been consistently very good-excellent. 

RDA looked tremendous again. He's on fire at 170. Nobody's beat this second UFC stint Lawler at 170 quite like that. Hendricks barely squeaked by him in an absolute war the first time they fought. And Woodley caught him early. RDA beat him thoroughly for the bulk of a 25 minute fight. Lawler as always was game but he was really up against it anyway here, in with an RDA who's firing on all cylinders. The fact he never had a leg to stand on for the second half of the fight was the nail in the coffin. Gutted for Lawler. Chuffed for RDA though.

RDA must be getting the title shot after that, right? I'd love to see him beat Woodley. And if he does he joins the '2 weight UFC champ club' as well.

Oh and I'd book that Lawler vs Perry fight now. 

Emmett vs Lamas didn't really go how I expected. I knew Emmett was decent but never would've called him to put Lamas out cold like that. Lamas is a funny one. He'll legitimately look like a potential champ one fight then it gets undone next time out. There's no consistency. Emmett continues the 'last minute replacement' curse of guys coming in on short notice and flipping the script. 

Ponzinibbio vs Perry was good. Not quite the crazy fight many were expecting but I thought it was enjoyable. Ponz is just too sharp a striker. It's the same thing that happened with Perry when he lost to Alan Jouban last year. If you throw down with Perry you're more than likely getting knocked out at some point. But Jouban and now Ponzinibbio have shown that he can be largely shut down on the feet with the right approach. Ponz was patient and attacking in an intelligent way. He wouldn't allow himself to be dragged into a brawl, although there were moments, and Perry couldn't really get his shit off. Guess that derails Till vs Perry. But I'd be well up for Till vs Ponzy now as co-main to Bisping vs whoever on the London card in March. I think that'd be a strong top of the bill for that one. 

Was pleased to see Glover get that win and stoppage. He needed that. And Cirkunov isn't exactly an easy guy to do that to. Scared me a bit at the start when he was getting cracked with some big shots but he came through it well. He's not getting a title shot off that though. Even as shallow as 205 is you've still got Oezdemir getting the shot first. And then there's no way Glover skips ahead of Gustafsson. Especially given that Gus smashed him earlier in the year. Glover's going to need another win or two, I think. 

If you usually skip the prelims then make sure you at least watch the Julian Marquez vs Darren Stewart fight first. I'd seen little bits and pieces of Marquez and I saw his headkick KO on Dana's Contender thingy, but any hype on him has kind of passed me by. Until now. What a fucking fight. It was nuttier than a squirrel's turd. Credit to Stewart as well, taking it on short notice and bringing it the way he did. Thought Marquez came off great in the post-fight interview as well. Showed a bit of personality, named a couple of realistic potential opponents, named a couple of upcoming cards he wants to get on, got a little bit of a rub with the Woodley beard thing and even got a little dig (unintentional or not) at Luke 'Lockhold' in there as well. I like him already. 

• Paid Members

Forgot to mention Glover. Was very impressed with his quick change in game plan, after quickly realising he was getting battered standing up. Proper crafty move the way he managed to get it to the ground and was flawless from that point on. I agree Glover can do with another win, because he feels like an upper midcard jobber to the stars, due to his most recent losses.

JDS was training at  ATT when he popped and Florida isn't that far from Cuba and I would assume you might get good PED's in a communist country whose only sports they participate in are Olympic sports, I would assume it's just the person gets offered it by someone dodgy hanging around the gym and if you think everyone else is, you may as well try it.

I doubt people like Greg Jackson would have anything to do with that stuff as it could ruin his gym but Jones probably did, these super gyms have hundreds of fighters, Overeem & Arlovski fought while training at the same gym, just different trainers, then you have guys who break away, Lawler & Henry Hooft left ATT, RDA has been at Kings and is now with Bispings coach Purillo and Bisping is the poster boy for not taking PEDs, hell Conor McGregor was slagging him for being American as hes lived there for years. Aldo has never popped either and he's the only big Brazilian fighter who hasn't trained in the US.

• Paid Members

Glover did well to change the gameplan quickly and to end things swiftly after that. Probably not the best result for the division overall, but pleased for Glover as he always seems like such a nixe guy. 

Josh Emmett completely flattened Lamas with that left hook, a crazy KO. He looks to thick for the division as he is right now though. He'll have to slim down in order to make that weight on a regular, sustainable, basis. 

Ponzinibhio fought the way he needed to. The last thing you want to be doing with Mike Perry is brawling, or else you're saying Goodnight Sweetheart. Ponz looked good here, and the gulf in class, as expected, was evident. Perry can put anyone to sleep with a big shot, but skill wise, he's nowhere near a top fifteen fighter in that division. 

The main event was one of those fights that I didn't want anyone to lose in. If Lawler had healthy legs left then I think he would have been able to push on and win the last two rounds, as he was winning the third in my book up until his knee went. However as things emded up playing out it was a thoroughly decisive victory for RDA, with a clear No. 1 contender now established for what should be Woodley, but I think could be an interim title fight between RDA and Covington. Lawler vs Maia might make sense as well coming out of this I think, depending on how serious Lawler's leg injury is. 

The only other things I've seen on the show so far are Jordan Mein getting a good win over Silva, Bambose getting laid flat on his chin, and Nordine Taleb's beautiful head kick TKO finish. Thumbs up for everything that I did see on this show. 

RDA vs Woodley doesn't sound half bad does it? 

I generally don't mind D.C on commentary, but he dropped a clanger last night. During the RDA vs Lawler fight, he claimed that the opening 3 rounds were all close. I had them all pretty clearly for RDA. It's true that Lawler was doing okay in the third, but I think his knee went due to RDA landing a vicious elbow in the clinch, and Lawler falling on it funny when he went down. Lawler is tough as nails though. Even in the 5th round, I half expected him to land something big, just like he did against Manhoef many moons ago. 

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, WeeAl said:

I think could be an interim title fight between RDA and Covington. Lawler vs Maia might make sense as well

Ahh come on. It's Christmas. Don't talk like that. 

If they take RDA at arguably the absolute hottest he's ever been and chuck him into an ice cold fight with Colby Covington...I think I'll actually cry. No interest whatsoever in Lawler vs Maia either. Although that one could be a possibility. 

This is how I'd like to see 170 play out over the next few months; 

- Tyron Woodley vs Rafael Dos Anjos for the title 

- Darren Till vs Santiago Ponzinibbio 

- Robbie Lawler vs Mike Perry 

- Wonderboy Thompson vs Condit/Magny winner

- Gunnar Nelson vs Condit/Magny loser 

- Jorge Masvidal vs Usman/Meek winner 

- Demian Maia vs Usman/Meek loser 

...and if Colby Covington wants a fight drop him in the favelas of Brazil. Sure it won't take long. Just get him off my telly. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Ahh come on. It's Christmas. Don't talk like that. 

If they take RDA at arguably the absolute hottest he's ever been and chuck him into an ice cold fight with Colby Covington...I think I'll actually cry. No interest whatsoever in Lawler vs Maia either. Although that one could be a possibility. 

This is how I'd like to see 170 play out over the next few months; 

- Tyron Woodley vs Rafael Dos Anjos for the title 

- Darren Till vs Santiago Ponzinibbio 

- Robbie Lawler vs Mike Perry 

- Wonderboy Thompson vs Condit/Magny winner

- Gunnar Nelson vs Condit/Magny loser 

- Jorge Masvidal vs Usman/Meek winner 

- Demian Maia vs Usman/Meek loser 

...and if Colby Covington wants a fight drop him in the favelas of Brazil. Sure it won't take long. Just get him off my telly. 

Ha any wonder I'm considered a bit of a Grinch in general at this time of year, talk like this furthers that kind of accusation! I'm just not overly sure how long Woodley will take to come back. Surgery for a torn labrum would have, what, 4 1/2 to 5 months recovery time and then a fight camp after that? Maybe they hold off on RDA for one of the July shows against Woodley. I just wouldn't be shocked to see them create an interim belt in the mean time if they are short a title fight around March/April, especially with both the Heavyweight and LHW belts not likely to be defended again until late summer after the January defences. 

I like your idea more of Maia vs Meek/Usman as opposed to Lawler though. Lawler vs Perry would definitely be fun, Lawler to win by UD would be my pick there. Hopefully Lawler's knee injury won't require surgery though. 

• Paid Members

You raise good points on the injuries, to be fair. Has there not been any word on a timeline for Woodley's return yet? And who knows what the state of Lawler's leg(s) is now? He could be off a while. 

Another thing to consider, and it's a big one that we both neglected to mention when mapping out the future of 170...the little matter of GSP. Him relinquishing the 185 belt can only mean he's either retiring or he's coming back to reclaim welterweight.

If GSP does come back to 170 soonish then I could easily see him getting the crack at Woodley (as he rightly should, IMO) and RDA could be left out anyway. If that scenario plays out then maybe your RDA vs Covington fight happens after all. 

I'd be disappointed if RDA ends up having to waste his energy on that dickface but I suppose they could stick it in Brazil and let RDA exact revenge for his country there. Send the fans home happy and that. 

• Paid Members

Oh absolutely, if GSP decides to fight again (and if he does, then it's got to be 170) then he instantly walks into a title shot at WW which he fully deserves. If you relinquish the belt on top, and are the best ever in the division and the GOAT in many peoples eyes, then you're entitled to leapfrog the rest in my opinion.

GSP vs Woodley would be an interesting fight for sure. The whole division is interesting these days. It's funny, I was thinking how stacked with depth 155, 170 and 185 are, and then DC and Anik had the LHW rankings on the screen ahead of the Glover fight and I just thought 'Jesus christ'. It's so shallow and there's such little new blood in there at 205.

Really good show. Prelims were fun apart from England going 0-3 :-(

I would actually like the big three Welterweight prospects of Till, Ponzinibbio and Usman kept apart at this point. Give Till Covington or Wonderboy.

Dos Anjos must have earned a Title shot here. Very impressive, dominant win.

• Paid Members

There is new blood at 205, it just needs time to develop as the ones who look promising are all just starting out in the UFC really. 

Obviously, Volkan Oezdemir sits on top of the pile. But you've also got; 

Dominick Reyes - 27 years old, 8-0 with 7 finishes. Destroyed Joachim Christensen in 29 seconds in his UFC debut. Won his second fight by first round submission at UFC 218. 

Gokhan Saki - 34 years old, 1-1 record but has nearly 100 kickboxing fights under his belt and has been in with the best of the best. Still lots of questions to be answered but he's new blood and exciting to boot. 

Ion Cutelaba - 24 years old, 13-3-1 record, 12 finishes. Exciting and aggressive as fuck. And marketable with the whole 'Hulk' thing he's got going on. Unfortunately he just got USADA'd but hopefully he can do something down the line. 

Aleksandar Rakic - Austrian, 25 years old, 6ft5, 9-1 record with 8 finishes. Looked good in his UFC debut dominating Francimar Barroso. 

Khalil Rountree - 27 years old, only a 6-2 record but he's looked really good in his last couple of fights scoring first round knockouts. I like him and I think he's got some potential. 

Tyson Pedro - Australian. 26 years old, 6-1. He just lost a decision to Ilir Latifi but it was the kind of loss that I think will improve him in the long run. Good boxing, likeable and potentially marketable. 

These guys could all fizzle out but there's potential there and I wouldn't be shocked if one or more of this lot become a real contender over the next couple of years. They're all exciting and seem to have something about them where I can see them possibly catching on and getting a following as well. All of them but Saki are under 30, which is promising. And even Saki, he has all that kickboxing experience. 

It feels like a proper Mother Hubbard's cupboard division at the moment because the top of the division is either all rematches or the last remnants of the old guard on the way out. But give it a bit of time and this might be the new wave of 205 headliners. 

• Paid Members

You're right it really could be the next crop along the way, and hopefully a few of them break through and 'arrive' so to speak, rather than just show some potential. Cutelaba is a mad man, so hopefully he returns from a USADA suspension with the capability to put a run together. 

I like Till vs Covington but the interim title fight between CC and RDA wouldn't be the worst way to go.  

Watched this card on a massive hangover so was drifting in and out of consciousness.  But RDA vs Lawler was a gripping watch.  It went pretty much how I thought it would go.  Does RDA have the power at 170 to beat Woodley though? I'm not sure he does. Tyron is looking all the more a formidable champion every day he doesn't fight.  I think the way he brushed Maia and somehow solved the Wonderboy puzzle shouldn't be played down. GSP may be a factor - but I don't think he is peak GSP so I'd still back Woodley there too. 

Archived