Blimey! They're still alive

Gus Mears

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Arn Anderson's Darb said:

Image result for david bellamy

I remember this face (and that voice) on telly all the time when I was very young, and then he just wasn't, so I just assumed he'd pegged it. Still around! Says he was kicked off BBC because he didn't believe in global warming from what I can gather.

I met him about 6 years ago doing photos for a PR thing in Lancashire and he was great entertainment. He told a story about running in swinging his arms trying to hit anyone he could during a protest at a wind farm. I'd be shocked if it wasn't stuff like that which was the reason the BBC sacked him off. 

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

This is slightly removed from the main point of this thread, because I know he's alive, but Shane MacGowan is celebrating his 60th birthday on this fine day. After the extended celebrity massacre of the past two years, I struggle to wrap my head around the idea that someone who looked on the way out in the mid 80's is about to collect his Diamond Bus Pass. I'm also struggling to believe that he is only 60, when I assumed he was about 85 when I first got into the Pogues yonks ago. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

It's a minor miracle that he's still around — when I lived in London, me and this girl I was seeing went to the Boogaloo in Highgate, and McGowan was there. He was wearing a ribbon around his neck, and the lass said that she liked it, so he gave it to her; he was generally a really charming bloke. As we left, though, we saw that he'd stored up all the drinks that had been bought for him, and he was going to go for it in fine style after they'd locked the plebs out, because he had about 15 shots at minimum lined up.