Rizin - New Years Eve MMA (Mayweather vs. Nasukawa)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

If Cro Cop's going to fight on then I'd like to see him in Bellator. There's fun to be had with Mirko and Bellator's cast of heavies. 

But...in Japan he can juice so there's that. 

I love the bastard but outside of a Fedor rematch and possible fights with Wandy and Rampage, I'd rather he just retire for good. 

I hope he goes in the UFC Hall of Fame at some point. I know he didn't have the best of UFC careers but neither did Sakuraba and he's in. He's a legend in the game and he's always been on good terms with Dana and them from what I can gather so I'm hopeful he goes in at some point. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

well, we are 3 days away from Mayweather in Rizin, does anyone give a fuck?

im interested to see how it pans out, the mood between both parties is very different. Mayweather is half arsing it (or he appears to be), Nasukawa is taking it very seriously.

The fights an exhibition but that just seems to be in place to protect Floyd's record. Im expecting Nasukawa to go balls out for 3 rounds attempting to take Floyds head off, whilst Floyd jockies back to the corner and bounces most of it off his shoulder. Its a strange one but i wanna see it, Rizin have forked out silly money to put it on (so much so that they had to sacrifice funds to fill the rest of the card with its notable fighters) and id love to know big of a deal of this is in Japan amongst the media. Even with the inevitable draw at the end i'd imagine Rizin will claim some kind of morale victory and use it to make Nasukawa more of a star.

• Paid Members

I’m not that arsed but I’ll watch it. I’d fucking love to see Nasukawa take Floyd’s head off but it’s not happening. 

Read something in the week that KID Yamamoto’s sister Miyuu is on the card. Nothing big in itself, but also her son Erson Yamamoto is on the card. Got to be a combat sports first that hasn’t it, a mother and son fighting on the same show? It’d be a nice moment if they both win, given KID’s passing this year. Erson is fighting Kazuyuki Miyata as well. The guy his uncle KID knocked out in 4 seconds with a flying knee years ago! 

BDFF0C60-FB10-4AB7-B642-2F91A2D5D631.gif

Just looking up the rest of the card now and there’s some fun stuff on there. 

Kyoji Horiguchi vs Darrion Caldwell is a legit amazing fight at 135. Rizin GP winner vs Bellator champ. Can’t wait, I completely forgot this fight had been announced. You’ve got Gabi Garcia providing the freak show element. The mother/son Yamamoto fights as mentioned above. Daron Cruickshank and Justin Scoggins are on there. Enjoyed watching both of them in the UFC. Jiri Procházka vs Brandon Halsey sounds like a fight I should be looking forward to but not sure why. Think Procházka impressed me in Rizin last New Year maybe? And Halsey rings Bellator bells. I see he has a win over Shlemenko on his record so must be that. Not a bad card in all. If Nasukawa somehow waffles Mayweather into oblivion it’ll go from ‘not bad’ to maybe ‘favourite show ever’ though. 

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

well, we are 3 days away from Mayweather in Rizin, does anyone give a fuck?

im interested to see how it pans out, the mood between both parties is very different. Mayweather is half arsing it (or he appears to be), Nasukawa is taking it very seriously.

The fights an exhibition but that just seems to be in place to protect Floyd's record. Im expecting Nasukawa to go balls out for 3 rounds attempting to take Floyds head off, whilst Floyd jockies back to the corner and bounces most of it off his shoulder. Its a strange one but i wanna see it, Rizin have forked out silly money to put it on (so much so that they had to sacrifice funds to fill the rest of the card with its notable fighters) and id love to know big of a deal of this is in Japan amongst the media. Even with the inevitable draw at the end i'd imagine Rizin will claim some kind of morale victory and use it to make Nasukawa more of a star.

Yeah, I'll be watching. I don't think the fight could really be considered a proper pro boxing bout with it being three rounds and no judges. Don't think it's to protect Floyd either, as if it was a proper boxing match I'm sure Mayweather would win comfortably. The thing is, at this stage he can't be fucked with full training camps, and fair play to him.

It'll be interesting for what it is, although a loss for Floyd will undoubtedly result in something else happening no doubt, such as a rematch in a proper boxing match in the US.

Some decent other scraps over the weekend, with an old favourite of mines in Tatsuya Kawajiri fighting on the December 30th card. he's 40 now, hasn't fought in over a year and is well past his prime, but still, it'll be good to see him get in there again.

• Paid Members

There's a link to the full card. Like i said previously, Rizin blew most of its budget on Mayweather so they are lacking the types of names they may have filled out the card on a usual NYE. Still when you really look it there's a load of recognisable names there. I still ain't too familiar the Rizin homegrown stars like i was with Pride's but im gonna cherry pick my way through this before i get to Mayweather.

Do love how Daron Cruickshank has gone to forge a real solid career in Japan though. He went from being a UFC curtain jerker to being a bit of a star in Japan, not quite sure how it happened but he always seemed a good guy and has done well for himself so props to him.

Archived