The Celebrity Sexual Harassment and Rapists Thread

Devon Malcolm

Yeah it was clearly for the US audience. We already know all of the stuff about how entrenched he was with the establishment and his charity work etc. The one thing it did well was the archive footage of his interviews, which I felt were very well done.

It would have been good to have at least tried to see WHY he was like what he was. I know its speculation but nobody seems to have really dug into that. Same with his time in the clubs during the 50s etc.

Also why was Mark Lawson constantly staring into the camera in slow mo?

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Misread this as Mark Lawrenson. Could have given the doc some much needed comic brevity tbf.

Would've needed some Belinda wipes

• Paid Members

https://screencrush.com/cuba-gooding-jr-forcible-touching/

Cuba Gooding Jr has pleaded guilty in the case he was accused of a while ago about forceably touching a while man in New York. He has avoided jail time by doing so, the good old American justice system.

Edited by Nick James

• Paid Members

I don't think he'd have ever gone to jail, though - I get the impression that they were relying on the fact that he, as a celebrity, has the luxury of being very likely to be shown leniency, and therefore they could send a message, via pretending that was an option that was avoided by him pleading guilty, to non-celeb males that they could go to jail, without having to send someone to jail in actuality.

• Moderators

I watched the Netflix doc with my Yankee missus and I found it very slow going, but she found it fascinating. She did actually say "Why do the British love weirdos like this?" which I think is a very fair point.

The other thing that really stuck out to me was that they showed a lot of stuff that now you'd look at and go "fucking hell that is iffy" but back then was totally ok and not rapey at all. All the "come here and let me have a look at you" and the grabbing and nastiness like that. Does remind you that as fucked up as things are these days at least we seem to have made some progress there.

The documentary also reminded me what a banger the Jim'll Fix It theme tune was.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Like Saville before, I had seen stories about Tim Westwood in things like PopBitch, so it isn't a surprise. What is more of a surprise is why nothing was done sooner yet again. Doesn't exactly make the BBC look like the shining beacon of our broadcasting output in this country with these types of people employed.

• Paid Members

His dad must be spinning in his grave. 

@Hannibal Scorchsomething like this coming out nowbgives the government more ammo to attack the BBC, and also the demographic Westwood's show is aimed at. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz