The Celebrity Sexual Harassment and Rapists Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I have to declare my Punk band of choice as The Stiffs, and not just because the bass player is a regular in my mum's pub. 

• Paid Members

The “me or the devil” meme about Hankey will have to be retired officially now. The devil was truly in charge. 

It had long been rumoured amongst the dart community before he got nicked in September about what he’d been doing and who with. It’s a real grim and horrible situation. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

I've watched the Jimmy Savile documentary on Netflix twice already. I'm trying to figure out why I find his whole situation fascinating. If you were born in the 70s he was omnipresent, on everything TV and radio, and so recognisable. He has always just been there. Watching all these clips back of him makes you realise - hopefully - how far we've come. All the lewd comments and references to being the terror of girls' schools just wouldn't fly today. And the Internet tracking his movements would shut him down? Wishful thinking maybe. 

He was an incredible character. I couldn't reconcile the enormous volume of charity work with the disgusting acts. Was it truly kind hearted or was it a penance to balance out everything else he did, as a perverted Catholic? He was famously a wrestler in the 50s and so much of kayfabe and keeping up appearances from pro wrestling translates to his everyday life. His ability to always present the 'Jimmy' character in public is impressive, always with the shock of white hair, always with the cigar, always giving the wide eyes, dressing like a January sale in Sports Direct. Nobody appeared to really know who he was. He referred to himself as 'tricky' and 'odd' which is something of an understatement. 

I think it's good this documentary exists to keep the conversation moving forward, to give voice to some of the victims, to be aware. I found watching both of Louis Theroux's documentaries afterwards good companion pieces (When Louis Met Jimmy is easy to find on Vimeo, and the post-death Savile is on iplayer). 

he wrestled in the 1960s and was disliked in the dressing room and it showed in the ring, he got some right pastings . A horrible bastard   he used to have a team of 'minders' pushing people out of the way at the high profile half marathons, He was the starter at the Great North Run one year and was subject to nearly all of the runners telling him to fuck off as we ran past the starting line.

He lost a Rolex on the run one year  someone found it and it turned out to be a £30 knock off.  A pure oxygen thief.

Edited by powerlock

10 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

I've watched the Jimmy Savile documentary on Netflix twice already. I'm trying to figure out why I find his whole situation fascinating. If you were born in the 70s he was omnipresent, on everything TV and radio, and so recognisable. He has always just been there. Watching all these clips back of him makes you realise - hopefully - how far we've come. All the lewd comments and references to being the terror of girls' schools just wouldn't fly today. And the Internet tracking his movements would shut him down? Wishful thinking maybe. 

He was an incredible character. I couldn't reconcile the enormous volume of charity work with the disgusting acts. Was it truly kind hearted or was it a penance to balance out everything else he did, as a perverted Catholic? He was famously a wrestler in the 50s and so much of kayfabe and keeping up appearances from pro wrestling translates to his everyday life. His ability to always present the 'Jimmy' character in public is impressive, always with the shock of white hair, always with the cigar, always giving the wide eyes, dressing like a January sale in Sports Direct. Nobody appeared to really know who he was. He referred to himself as 'tricky' and 'odd' which is something of an understatement. 

I think it's good this documentary exists to keep the conversation moving forward, to give voice to some of the victims, to be aware. I found watching both of Louis Theroux's documentaries afterwards good companion pieces (When Louis Met Jimmy is easy to find on Vimeo, and the post-death Savile is on iplayer). 

I've watched the first episode and found it really hard going tbh. He, like Rolf was pretty much ubiquitous on Telly growing up and seeing some of the interviews like the 'tricky' and 'odd' and the very weird speech pattern are alarming looking back with adult eyes there's red flags everywhere and in plain sight. 

I thought the first part was also heavily hinting that he and Margaret Thatcher had an affair but stopped short of saying it outright. 

The stuff with Stoke Mandeville isn't that difficult to get as it's all about attention, whether good or bad and same with running etc. There's a need to have attention, be adored and give the impression of being fine and upstanding it's not uncommon in people who abuse either. The two are very easily either compartmentalised (abuse/helping)  and the help isn't coming from a genuine place either see this https://psychcentral.com/blog/psychology-self/2020/05/narcissists-generosity#5 for further insight, and once spotted it is almost a by the book approach. 

Finding the courage to watch the rest, which will be a very difficult watch going by the first part. 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

I always think back to the episode of Have I Got News For You that aired after all the accusations really went public - they played a clip of his appearance on the show that was really unpleasant, and Hislop remarked that he got away with by hiding in plain sight, disguised as a paedophile. I'm not sure how much of the persona was carefully constructed and how much of it was an extension of whoever he really was, but being that carefully considered "eccentric" seemed to disguise a lot of ills, because you either assumed it was all an act, or assumed that nobody would be daft enough to be so outwardly creepy if they were hiding anything like what he had to hide. Obviously that downplays that the majority of what he got away was a result of colossal failings of authority, abuse of position and outright corruption far more than because of his personality, though. Baffling how a slimy northern DJ got himself in that position in the first place.

By the time I was conscious of him as a kid, he was already seen as a bit more of an oddball and a relic of a previous age of light entertainment, rather than the ubiquitous presence he'd been in the '70s. My Dad had lived in Leeds, and a lot of his mates in Scarborough, and they had seen him around and heard all sorts of stories, but at the time they were never really of the ilk that came out about him. Most of what my Dad said about him was around connections to organised crime and some really violent nutters, and using those connections to bully people and get his way, whereas the gossip in Scarborough was always about him sneaking into morgues and being a necrophiliac - there might be some truth to that, but even as a kid it seemed like such an insane urban legend that it couldn't possibly true. Nowadays, I wonder if he welcomed that sort of thing as a means to handwave allegations away as being clearly silly rumours, and to distract from what he was actually up to. It ties in with all the stuff about his mother as "The Duchess" and the stuff on Louis Theroux's show where he was keeping her room and all her clothes perfectly preserved, like some kind of Kray Twins/Norman Bates hybrid - it almost felt like being creepy enough in different ways would distract from the real crimes.

I haven't watched the Netflix show yet - I intend to, just haven't really been in the right mindset to approach it yet. 

• Paid Members

Outside of the subject matter and the creepy slowed down horror version of the Jim'll Fix it theme, I really wasn't a fan of the documentary. ITV and Louis Theroux both managed to cover much more in less time and I have a feeling it was made for an American audience who might not be as familiar with the subject matter and there was so much more they could have covered giving the unlimited potential for a run time. It was very careful not to go down the 'The BBC protected him' route, glossed over the family life, never dwelled on his obvious lack of freindships and seemed to rely on his creepy comments on tv to keep hammering home the hiding in plain sight. To a generation who never saw him on TV, they really could have dived into how a man without any likeable qualities was at the forefront of TV for so long. Who was his fan base? Ian Hislop again pointing out that 'We all heard the same rumours' isn't the same as 'We all knew it was happening' which seem to be interchangable when people talk about him.

On a side note it was very weird to see a Netflix documentary go the Vice / Dark Side of The Ring route to use BBC footage through fair usage and use an weird low res cropped rip of the Louis Theroux interview