The Celebrity Sexual Harassment and Rapists Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, robinbobs said:

People attacked police cars. Gathering no masks no social distance. End of the day these are the same people that complain about the death rates etc etc, all lives matter until it comes time to make a tragic situation all about themselves. The vigil could have easily have been done over Zoom.

Sick of it, just want normality back.

I’ll also add you’ve questioned the validity of my appearance at the March. I was there as I have written that I was there and that makes it true.

You weren’t there. I’ve written it so it’s true. Because your account matches nothing anyone else has said

• Paid Members

I've no idea if you were there or not, but your account doesn't even match the statement issued by the police, and "they attacked our cars" would have been exactly the justification they wanted.

I'll have a butchers on YouTube later. There's bound to be footage of the cars being attacked.

• Moderators
19 hours ago, The Maestro said:

Whether there are clauses in place or not, its still fairly irresponsible for people to gather in large numbers when we are in the midst of a pandemic, despite the cause. I understand there would have been things in place but that still doesn't sit right with me.

Yeah, tbh I thought the same thing last year during the BLM protests and was quite conflicted as the cause is clearly very important.

But that said, the newer research has shown that it's something like 20 times less likely to be transmitted when congregating outdoors compared to indoors, with the same proximity. So with appropriate measures I'm a lot more comfortable with the idea of it than I was in the past.

9 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Yeah, tbh I thought the same thing last year during the BLM protests and was quite conflicted as the cause is clearly very important.

But that said, the newer research has shown that it's something like 20 times less likely to be transmitted when congregating outdoors compared to indoors, with the same proximity. So with appropriate measures I'm a lot more comfortable with the idea of it than I was in the past.

Irrespective of transmission rates outdoors, it sets a dangerous precedent to start allowing these kinds of things whilst in the midst of Covid. We've all missed out on things during the pandemic that we can all justify would be okay to do. What makes a vigil any more important? And I say this as someone who is on board with the right to protest and to hold memorials. But when so many people have given up so much, including time with loved ones they'll never get back, I cannot get on board with it.

• Moderators

I disagree. We're a few weeks away from shops and pubs reopening and that's a greater risk with less value as far as I'm concerned. This reaction coupled with the measures against protests the Tories are pushing through show this is clearly more about the content of the gathering than the transmission risk.

• Paid Members

this one's slightly different because it's a vigil - a lot of us have lost people, though admittedly not under such harrowing circumstances, and not been permitted to grieve together, or have attended funerals over Zoom - but I do think it's important that protests have been able to go ahead in spite of the pandemic. And to a lot of the women there, this was a protest as much as it was a vigil.

True protest has always been about putting the issue at hand ahead of your own wellbeing, comfort or safety. They wouldn't work if they weren't about that, and it's why so many of the middle class Extinction Rebellion type protests are largely ineffectual placard-waving and little else - the most effective protests are those which make it clear that this is an issue bigger than yourself, and that you value above your own safety. Something like the BLM protests, I can see why people deemed attending them more of a pressing issue than the risk of catching Covid-19.

That said, you can't expect everyone to draw the line in the same place, so there will always be disagreements. If this was a pro-fox hunting protest, I'd probably be complaining about them being irresponsible. And, of course, if there is a Covid risk than it's not just those in attendance that are being put directly at risk. So it's always going to be a messy situation. 

But as Chest said, this was clearly more about the gathering itself than about any risk of transmission. And, actually, as the Tories are currently attempting to get a bill giving police more power to clamp down on protest (and to shift the definition of "protest" altogether), and may well extend pandemic-time measures against public gatherings as part of that, anyone with an interest in retaining the right to assembly and right to protest should be at least prepared to weigh up their options at the moment.

7 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

That said, you can't expect everyone to draw the line in the same place, so there will always be disagreements. If this was a pro-fox hunting protest, I'd probably be complaining about them being irresponsible. And, of course, if there is a Covid risk than it's not just those in attendance that are being put directly at risk. So it's always going to be a messy situation.

This. In no way, shape or form disagree with the right to protest and am concerned about whatever bullshit legislation the government will try to put through to stop people's rights regarding these kind of issues. However allowing one thing and not the other isn't fair as we all have different feelings on different matters. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, The Maestro said:

This. In no way, shape or form disagree with the right to protest and am concerned about whatever bullshit legislation the government will try to put through to stop people's rights regarding these kind of issues. However allowing one thing and not the other isn't fair as we all have different feelings on different matters. 

You're responding to 'complaining about irresponsible' by responding to 'what is allowed and not allowed'. You're also continuing to turn this into a lengthy discussion about whether a vigil or a protest should be allowed under Covid rules, which I'd suggest is more appropriate for the Covid thread. 

I've seen it pointed out a few times elsewhere that this is something frustratingly typical with conversations about harassment and rape, and also about things like Black Lives Matter - people absolutely cannot move fast enough to change the conversation to something different they can argue about. Because it's much easier to go 'this isn't actually a conversation about what happens to women - really, the more important thing here is crowd sizes, and the free speech aspect of whether you agree with a protest or not'.

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I've seen it pointed out a few times elsewhere that this is something frustratingly typical with conversations about harassment and rape, and also about things like Black Lives Matter - people absolutely cannot move fast enough to change the conversation to something different they can argue about. Because it's much easier to go 'this isn't actually a conversation about what happens to women - really, the more important thing here is crowd sizes, and the free speech aspect of whether you agree with a protest or not'.

This has happened a lot in the Speaking Out thread in on-topic as well.

• Paid Members

There have been a lot of protests and marches and the like during covid.  You can argue right or wrong but I don’t think, given the circumstances, that the ones to get stopped should be the ones relating to women.  Everyone else can protest/pay tribute even if it’s wrong, but not the women.   Sort of proves some of the wider points being raised doesn’t it?

What else would you like them to do?  Sit home and do nothing in fear of consequences?  Writing online and it getting them nowhere?  
That’s what’s been happening for a long time already.  That’s part of the situation.  They were there to make a point by doing something different because they feel things have to change and what they’ve done do so far hadn’t helped to keep us safe.

Anyway, good to see this promising discussion isn’t getting derailed by men discussing what they think women should be doing to highlight the issues they face.  Oh wait... 🙄