The Celebrity Sexual Harassment and Rapists Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Probably best to tread carefully here lads, re: former posters.  I don't disagree with the points being made, just probably best to veer away from real life examples of people who posted here (for a variety of reasons including ongoing legal actions). You also never know who might be reading this etc. 

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

I'll also point out that it's likely many of us thought similarly years ago. I don't know about anyone else, but social media (and twitter in particular) has been an amazing thing for understanding other viewpoints in a way I just didn't before. Hearing them normalised, and seeing discussions between women or between people in a particular ethnic group - it was really, really eye-opening. I've always been liberal and tried to be empathetic, but in terms of learning about people without my privilege in a real-time basis has been amazing.

Wholeheartedly agree with this. A rare example of social media working for the better.

Twitter was the place I started to appreciate and learn what things I can do to help women feel less threatened, e.g. crossing the road, taking a different route etc. 

3 hours ago, Chris B said:

Having heard this from a fairly large number of women as well, it's notable that they're not talking about being catcalled by age-appropriate kids either. They're talking about older teenagers and (far more commonly) adults.

Yeah I think more often than not, its adults. I'm not sure of the age of the perpetrator in my case but he was driving a van so was likely an adult.

• Paid Members

My 14yo was also first catcalled when they were 11, also when wearing a school uniform at the time.

Other things that they've experienced have been:-

* Stalked home from the bus stop when they were 12 and having to take a really long way home so that this bloke didn't see where they lived.

* When they attended the BLM demonstration in Manchester last year, were asked personal details including their name and address by plain clothes cops who asked the same thing of their female friends but not the male ones.

And those are just the ones they've told me about.

• Paid Members

@Devon Malcolmthat is horrible. Mine is only 7, but I’m already fearing big school for that reason. The thing about the police is worrying though because similar to this case, there seems to be a trend of people impersonating as plain clothed officers to commit crimes. I remember being approached once by plain clothed police and they started questioning me and I didn’t for a second even question if they were who they said they were (they were genuine which was unfortunate for them when I complained about their conduct to the complaints commission), but I think you just don’t want trouble so you probably do let your guard down.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, deathrey said:

@Devon MalcolmThe cops asking for their personal details is particularly alarmingly. 

Fortunately the organisers were aware beforehand that there would be plain clothes cops present and were handing out cards with legal advice on how to handle such approaches, but perhaps even they didn't expect the specific approach these cops were taking.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

Some good points made in here.

And yet we still have threads on this very forum based around the objectification of people.

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest to see you play the deflection game.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest to see you play the deflection game.

I am not deflecting anything, just pointing out that there is a thread on this very forum that labels women (or men) that are posted within it as "hotties" which can easily be construed as offensive and objectification.

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

Some good points made in here.

And yet we still have threads on this very forum based around the objectification of people.

Pointing out that someone in the public eye is attractive is not the same as cat calling, stalking or harassment. 

But you know that. Well I hope you do, because you'd have to be pretty thick not to be able to tell the difference. 

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

I am not deflecting anything, just pointing out that there is a thread on this very forum that labels women (or men) that are posted within it as "hotties" which can easily be construed as offensive and objectification.

I think it says a lot that your first contribution to this discussion was essentially "But Vintage Bintage!"

Which would be strange enough if you weren't a cop, but the fact that you are one makes it far, far worse.