The Celebrity Sexual Harassment and Rapists Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

the full clip of that segment is cringe worthy. Imagine pushing for one of your mates to appear on your show and they do that. Absolute Bellends 

Diamond pacing, waiting to go off air looks ready to chin him.

Edited by chokeout

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

So, maybe not celebrity, but a second harrassment/assault thread seems like too depressing an idea.

There has been some #NotAllMen talk, especially in the media, in the wake of the Sarah Everard story (if you've missed it, a woman in Clapham who was out at 9.30pm and went missing - a policeman has been arrested under suspicion of kidnap, and the team investigating it have announced they've found human remains in a wood in Kent). 

A lot of women have found this particularly upsetting, and a lot are discussing the harrassment/assault they've undergone. Some conversations are about how men can better make women feel safe when out and about (crossing road, being on phone, etc etc). And there are a lot of calls for men to step up and be part of the conversation as well. Some are talking about that, some are responding with 'Not ALL men'.

So, where are you falling on this? Do you think you can talk about it with family/friends? Do you feel comfortable pushing back on people when they're being weird about women? 

12 minutes ago, Chris B said:

So, maybe not celebrity, but a second harrassment/assault thread seems like too depressing an idea.

There has been some #NotAllMen talk, especially in the media, in the wake of the Sarah Everard story (if you've missed it, a woman in Clapham who was out at 9.30pm and went missing - a policeman has been arrested under suspicion of kidnap, and the team investigating it have announced they've found human remains in a wood in Kent). 

A lot of women have found this particularly upsetting, and a lot are discussing the harrassment/assault they've undergone. Some conversations are about how men can better make women feel safe when out and about (crossing road, being on phone, etc etc). And there are a lot of calls for men to step up and be part of the conversation as well. Some are talking about that, some are responding with 'Not ALL men'.

So, where are you falling on this? Do you think you can talk about it with family/friends? Do you feel comfortable pushing back on people when they're being weird about women? 

I've been having an interesting conversion with a male friend about it since last night. I said that we need to step back and listen more, while he thinks we should be actively pushing to do more about it. I guess the ideal "solution" would be a middle ground between the two. I guess it depends on experiences really. I personally fall on the side where a lot of my female friends feel like people don't take them seriously and don't listen to them and are more than happy to just brush stuff off with a "you'll be fine" or whatever, when really it's not just one specific incident but a general feeling they have throughout their entire life.

I haven't personally come across too many men that have acted like that - I don't go out much, I don't drink and I consider myself lucky that I've not really been with any friends who have ever actively acted like that. So I don't feel like I've had too many opportunities to 'step up' or whatever you'd want to call it. Would I feel comfortable doing so if I was out and saw that behaviour? Comfortable would be the wrong word but I wouldn't want to sit back and watch it happen either.

A lot of this stuff does happen behind closed doors though. Or online, through DMs etc. And the 'not all men' stuff certainly doesn't help, because that selfish attitude of 'well I must make sure no one thinks badly of me!' is completely oblivious to the conversations that need to be had. It's not about defending yourself. It's about listening to the situations that have happened and acknowledging the men that have acted badly etc.

I'm certainly aware that if I'm out at night and there's a woman alone and it's dark, I definitely want to keep my distance or cross the road etc because I can only imagine what that situation feels like. Hell, I feel uncomfortable myself out and about at night, so I can only imagine how difficult it is for them. And I guess that's the thing - it's impossible for us to put ourselves in that position and truly understand it, but it's imperative that at the least we acknowledge it and raise awareness.

It's also little things that we take for granted.

I have no issue going for a run at 10pm. I don't feel scared. Same if I want to pop down for a fag at midnight.

The back of my block is pitch black with 3 possible ways for someone to appear but I dont have an issue.

Those are both things women can't do. Which is horrific. 

Its also about appearance. I was thinking about this the other day. If it's dark (or not even) and I'm wearing a beanie and a mask (which I sometimes keep on or forget to take off), then you can only see my eyes, which can be really intimidating for some. So maybe I shouldn't do that?

"Yeah but you should be able to wear what you want" the NotAllMen bellends cry. Well no, it doesn't work like that?

I have no problem calling out people as I would expect someone to do to me. Someone was being an absolute cunt in the football group chat the other day following the Meghan Markle/Prince Harry interview (slightly off topic granted) the other day and he got told where to go.

Made the school run the next morning a bit awkward, but that's one less twat I have to speak to at drop off.

Men need to address this in a calm and rational way. Which almost certainly they can't as they see any of it as a direct threat. They need to grow up. 

Some berk I used to work with always goes on the not all men defence. As you’d expect he is a self proclaimed good guy. I liked and retweeted a lot of stuff yesterday and he’s replied to practically every single one with a not all men. The arsehole gets annoyed when he gets no replies and doesn’t realise it’s because he locked his account years ago when he said “Let’s the fuckers drown” after the floods in Pakistan and got in trouble at work for it. 

2 minutes ago, Millard Rausch said:

I really don't know why there has to be a national debate every time a one off tragedy happens now, it kind of has a numbing effect when there's a different debate every other week, to the point where you hear it on the radio and aren't as shocked as one should be. 

It’s not a one-off though is it

Obvious troll is obvious. 

Regarding that curfew thing, it’s switching the narrative. Since forever, it’s always been about what women and girls can do to prevent getting attacked and not what men and boys can do to stop attacking. It starts with toddlers. You see a boy pulling a girls pigtails and it’s all “Ah he likes you”. Boys will be boys (not the song, you funny lot) has a lot to answer for.