The Celebrity Sexual Harassment and Rapists Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

That was a horrible read. I'm not just saying this, but there's always been something off with him. Never thought anything to that extent, but he comes off as desperate and overbearing around women on both Talking Dead and Nerdist/Id10t podcasts.
In particular, if you listen to the 'Keanu Reeves Returns' one (which has been a mainstay on my phone), his female colleague mentions a product/company named 'Burly Fellow' and he goes creepily, cringingly OTT  with his reaction to finding the her delivery/phrasing of 'Burly Fellow' hilarious.
It's about four or five minutes into the podcast. Has always unnerved me. Now I know why.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I think it's really upsetting that people cannot see this as abusive, just because it isn't physical. This is CLEARLY psychological abuse. I've worked with so many women that have been in situations like this in the past, it's awful.

Yeah, it's textbook abuse - but unfortunately there's a world of people out there who see anything less than physical, penetrative rape as not being sexual abuse, and that's the uphill struggle that #MeToo etc. has to fight against, that far too many people see this behaviour as, if not normal, then at least excusable.

I don't really know Hardwick beyond having seen the name around, but I have a couple of friends who work the convention circuit, and on their Facebook the mood seems to be very much "I was waiting for his name to come out".

• Paid Members

Hardwick's "Brand Nerd" bullshit has always got stuck in my throat. I love people who are into old retro shit, dont get me wrong. I've got a collection of ex-rentals the size of my wardrobe that I cant part with. So that's not the issue. It's his "being a nerd's a way of life, brah. Here's the 10 step guide" shit that I hate. Something so unnatural about it.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, BrodyGraham said:

Which females are prominent within Nerdist? I know Jessica Chobot does a lot of stuff there, but I 'd hope she's not the woman referred to here.

Reddit said Michelle Morrow. I don't know who any of these people are though, so I don't know how likely to be accurate that is. He's the only one I'd heard of.

Hardwick has issued a statement:

Nerdist CEO Chris Hardwick is denying claims from ex-girlfriend Chloe Dykstra that he sexually assaulted her.

In a statement Friday night, Hardwick said, "These are very serious allegations and not to be taken lightly which is why I’ve taken the day to consider how to respond. I was heartbroken to read Chloe's post. Our three year relationship was not perfect — we were ultimately not a good match and argued — even shouted at each other — but I loved her, and did my best to uplift and support her as a partner and companion in any way and at no time did I sexually assault her.”

He continued: "When we were living together, I found out that Chloe cheated on me, and I ended the relationship. For several week after we broke up, she asked me to get back together with me and even told me she wanted to have kids with me, 'build a life' with me and told me that I was 'the one,' but I did not want to be with someone who was unfaithful."

"I'm devastated to read that she is now accusing me of conduct that did not occur. I was blindsided by her post and always wanted the best for her. As a husband, a son, and future father, I do not condone any kind of mistreatment of women," he concluded.

Was a hard read when I seen that. Been a massive fan of Nerdist/ id10t podcast and got Me into things and people I’d have had no intro to otherwise. 

• Paid Members
On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 5:36 PM, Astro Hollywood said:

It's good to enjoy things and be a fan, but Hardwick and co always made me feel like this.

That's my problem with a lot of "nerd culture" in general, though - people thinking that there's something exceptional about being into, say, Star Wars and Marvel, thinking that makes you a member of some kind of privileged elite, rather than a fan of some of the most widely consumed media ever produced.

• Paid Members

Hardwick has released a bunch of screenshotted messages from Chloe Dykstra to him following his "breaking up with her due to her cheating" which show her begging him to forgive her, take her back etc.

He's released those messages as if they somehow prove that what Dykstra said couldn't be true, yet it seems to me that someone who'd been in the sort of controlling relationship she described might very well react in that manner, especially at first.

What it does do is contradict some of her statements; which unfortunately calls into question her entire testimony. Whether this is creative tuning of events, forgetting how things transpired or flat out lies he has provided proof that part of it isn't true, she has said she has evidence and it may be that she needs to put that out there because this gives apologists and non-believer a large platform to defend Hardwick.

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Louis CK has decided he's suffered enough and has started doing comedy again. Standing ovation. What an absolutely devastating blow his career took.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/aug/28/louis-ck-first-standup-set-sexual-misconduct-allegations