UFC Fight Night: Bisping vs Gastelum - Nov 25

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yep. Updated the original post and the poll. Can't believe Bisping's getting back in there so soon. Fighting GSP and Gastelum back-to-back within 3 weeks is insane.

Guess he just wants to get back in the win column ASAP. Plus he's been inactive all year so he's making up for lost time. But I don't know if I like this. Seems really dangerous. 

Bollocks the size of watermelons on that chap. GSP and Gastelum within three weeks of one another? Huge respect for Bisping, his wasn't a name I even vaguely considered stepping in when Anderson was pulled out.

I don't see this ending well for him though. It's no secret he's been contemplating with retirement, and who knows what he'll be like coming off such a high-profile loss? Combine that in with the fact he's going in short notice against a killer in Gastelum and things aren't looking too bright for him.

• Paid Members

I think mentally he'll bounce back fine from the loss to GSP. He's got form for that. He's basically the poster boy for dusting yourself off after a loss and not letting it keep you down. People talk about his toughness, and rightly so, but I think his mental toughness is the thing that's kept him around so long. Not many in the game could've come back from the losses he's had to become world champion. Plus there's little things he can tell himself to make peace with the GSP loss - he was fighting probably the greatest ever, he was coming off an injury and layoff himself, there was the thing with his protective cup breaking mid-fight. Things like that will probably make it easier to live with and come back from. 

It's physically I think he might struggle. He probably feels fine now he's had a week to relax. But 3 weeks still isn't going to be long enough of a break from a hard fight like that. And now he's got to get straight back in the gym. It's not like he'll have actually had a 3 week break between fights. He's basically gone straight from the 217 post-fight presser, had a few days off and now he's back in camp. It's not good. 

The fight with Gastelum is definitely winnable. Especially if Bisping can drag him into the later rounds. But even then, will Bisping's cardio be what it usually is if he's coming in banged up and possibly overtrained? Meanwhile Gastelum will be fresh as a daisy. It's a big ask for Bisping but I really hope he pulls it off. 

• Paid Members

I think possibly a big part of Bisping jumping straight back in is that he sees the end of his career approaching, so he's trying to get as much in as possible to earn the best money he can while he can still go, before cashing out. Maybe the GSP fight money wasn't as good as he was expecting, so he feels he needs a few more paydays.

• Paid Members

I don't even think he'll know what he made from the GSP fight yet though. He can't do really, can he? All he'll know he's getting for certain is his contracted fight purse, whatever that is. But on top of that, he'll have also gotten a cut of the PPV for this so it won't be until the buys are totted up that he'll know the final figure. From bits I heard and read after UFC 217, the show was estimated to have done better than expected and the buyrates were thought to have cleared 1 million. So Bisping should've cleaned up on the GSP fight. Should easily be the biggest payday he's ever had to date. 

• Paid Members

Fair enough. I was just trying to find some rationale as to why he's signed up for another fight so soon. Maybe it's just the career thing, that he wants to DO ALL THE FIGHTS before he's too old to continue at the top level.

• Paid Members

Nah, I get that. I think it's most likely just a case of him wanting to wash that feeling of the GSP loss away by getting back in there and winning a fight again. Of course, that could blow up in his face if he loses again, then he's 0-2 this year, but you get the logic of him wanting back in there. Another thing, which Jon Anik touched on last night, Bisping also has a Chinese Visa from when he fought Cung Le in Macao a few years back. So the paperwork and all that stuff that would've been a headache for getting a last minute replacement in, that's a non-issue with Bisping. 

I'm just really not sure he's made the right move. Gastelum is a handful at the best of times. Taking that fight on short notice and coming off a loss where you were rocked and choked out makes it even more of an uphill battle. 

And unless he really fancies being mega active, this also potentially takes him out of that London card in March. Maybe not. I mean, November-March is 5 months so certainly doable. But 3 fights in such a short period is fucking brutal. Especially at the level Bisping is fighting at and his age, etc. 

Ideally, Bisping would've rested up over Christmas and came back in March against Yoel Romero in London or something. But MMA, isn't it? Nothing runs smoothly. 

Gastelum is a really good fighter. He's dangerous both standing and on the ground. He has power in his hands, as he showed when he dropped Weidman and butchered Belfort. He's not the most imposing grappler at 185lbs, but he's still very strong in that area. 

Bisping is going to have to be at his best to beat him. I think he can do it if he keeps the fight standing, and overwhelms Gastelum in the mid/late rounds. However, if I was a betting man, I would be tempted to bet on Gastelum by TKO. 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Fair enough. I was just trying to find some rationale as to why he's signed up for another fight so soon. Maybe it's just the career thing, that he wants to DO ALL THE FIGHTS before he's too old to continue at the top level.

I think you're overlooking the fact that he's just a bit of a mad bastard. When Bisping's fight career is done & dusted then you'd have to think he's got a job with the UFC for life? I know they're known for treating their employees like shit but he's been a fucking trooper for them.

I'm sure he has a job for life as a pundit unless he has some major scandal. He doesn't need some fake Hughes/Liddell office job.

I liked seeing him do the mainstream media circuit for the GSP fight. Two interviews stood out for me the Breakfast Club (New York Hip Hop Radio) and Colin Cowherd (Fox Sports). Both are difficult interviews for different reasons but both will ask difficult questions and try and trip you up. Bisping breezes through both easily giving them what they want. Neither are anything ground breaking but show how savvy Michael is with the media. 

• Paid Members

Bisping is that perfect blend of genuine fighter and savvy self promoter. The Gastelum fight is not one you'd expect to see him take on short notice at this point in his career but hes a proper 'any time, anywhere' type guy.

Michael Bisping would have been a perfect fit for Pride.

Archived