That Star Trek thread somebody was talking about

Jazzy G

• Paid Members

This week's episode felt a bit like the women's match before the main event at pre women's revolution PPVs. It had to be there as something of a wind down from the previous episode, especially if the series is being watched in one session. I'm guessing budgetary constraints required a bottle show as well. It did the charactery stuff and was a respite ahead of next week's finale. Georgiou getting stuck in the Captain's chair at the end was a heck of a moment. It brings the series around full circle as I have a feeling Burnham may have to betray her again next week in order to broker some kind of peace with the Klingons. The Neutral Zone will be set up and the Federation will be a lot smaller than it seemed to be in Discovery, more in line with how the Federation felt quite small in TOS as they start to explore back out from where they've ended up pushed back to. 

Apparently based on the distances Stamets mentioned when talking about Starbase 1 and Earth, Starbase 1 is on the edge of the solar system. I wonder why the Klingons wouldn't have just attacked Earth.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Apparently based on the distances Stamets mentioned when talking about Starbase 1 and Earth, Starbase 1 is on the edge of the solar system. I wonder why the Klingons wouldn't have just attacked Earth.

He said Starbase 1 was 100AU from Earth. Well within our solar system. Voyager 1 is currently further away that 100AU. When they came out of warp in the wreckage of Starbase 1, it was above a very Earth-like planet where there is definitely no planet.

If I was to put some form of logic into it then i'd say that perhaps the klingons made a surprise attack on Starbase 1 but didn't have the fire power or troops to take down Earth which I guess is heavily guarded but they'll be back.

I always thought Starbase 1 was in orbit around Earth but then i'm also not sure if this is the same Starbase 1 as they show from the first movie onwards.

12 hours ago, simonworden said:

If I was to put some form of logic into it then i'd say that perhaps the klingons made a surprise attack on Starbase 1 but didn't have the fire power or troops to take down Earth which I guess is heavily guarded but they'll be back.

I always thought Starbase 1 was in orbit around Earth but then i'm also not sure if this is the same Starbase 1 as they show from the first movie onwards.

Assaulting a starbase of 80,000 people is one thing, mounting a full planetary attack would be a much larger scale plan, as they said the Klingon houses are at odds with each other trying to score points over who can do the most damage, I don't think they'd have the resources individually to manage something like that.

tbf anyone coming in the Star Trek thread the day the finale hit without watching it first has only themselves to blame.

So, a great series overall, paced themselves a bit wrong though spending a little too long in the mirror dimension and having to rush the final resolutions; all very quick, neat & tidy but I guess ultimately necessary to serve Burnham's redemption arc and end the war by the end of the series like the creators had promised. Hopefully it's not the last we see of the Burnham/Tyler dynamic because those 2 were fantastic on screen together, the ending, plus the prospect of future appearances of Georgiou and Mudd sets things up nicely for season 2.

Plus - Fucking Clint Howard as an Orion! Such a nice easter egg, might have been some shameless pandering to trek fans but I care not.

The Enterprise reveal was lovely,  the tease of the ship's code on the screen then hail from Captain Pike would have been a great way to end but the final shot of the two ships face to face and the original theme playing us out just made it so much better.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Divorced Dad said:

Just watched the season finale of Discovery and jumped for joy at the end when the Enterprise turned up!

Yeah, got as far as "NCC 17" and shamelessly squeaked.

• Awards Moderator
17 minutes ago, hallicks said:

I don't give much of a toss about TOS

Aaargh, I was going to write that.

I agree with all your post. All a bit "let's get this sorted by the end of the series, OK?" but overall a very satisfying show.

Ladies and gentlemen, Clint Howard through the years:

Xturneu.png

• Paid Members

The ending to me felt like they thought this would be a one season deal, so they'd finish on their big fan service moment to send people off with a nice feeling of nostalgia. It'll be intriguing to see where they do go with the second series.

Things have been left dangling to be picked up on with the Emperor out there and the Klingons doing their Klingon thing. I guess we find out next year. Plus there's always the chance they pick right up from here and have to fix whatever's happened on the Enterprise although I hear that aside from Sarek and Mudd the show's crew were given express orders to not use any TOS characters. I also saw a Trill getting the animated tattoo and apparently if you have a particularly keen eye there's a scene of a Klingon taking a leak and it's now canon that they have two dicks.