That Star Trek thread somebody was talking about

Jazzy G

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, SpursRiot2012 said:
  Hide contents

Mirror Stamets and Prime Stamets aren't in each others bodies. Mirror Stamets needed Prime Stamets to get them both out of the spore coma, but they didn't switch places. 

I was pretty sure Lorca was Mirror Lorca for weeks now. So it wasn't a huge swerve. But this is shaping up to be an excellent Star Trek show.

That was an incredibly short episode. Less than 40 minutes. 

Re: spoilers. I think we should just go to town and anybody who doesn't want to be spoiled shouldn't check this thread until they've watched the latest episode. 

Just from this episode they can go so many ways, it's as if they looked at Voyager and thought how they could make it a decent show.

There just isn't a comparison there, really. Early Voyager was decent enough but it's not like they had the depth of Discovery in terms of characterisation or story arc. It was basically 7 seasons of reset button episodes, with a few exceptions. Also, Janeway is a dick. 

• Paid Members

Early Voyager was guff, there's a civil war, ooh let's be friends, insert stupid alien for comedy affect, insert new attempt at Wes Crusher but he's Chinese.

It only started to peak when Seven came into it, and that was mainly through joy of watching the worst crew assembled getting battered most weeks.

The perfect end would have been the whole crew falling foul to a long con deception, where the Irish pub owner stole the Docs hardlight abilities (stealing from Red Dwarf ... jesus) and went on a mass killing spree, bludgeoning everyone with a shillelagh and other assorted Irish clichès.

Edited by Teedy Kay

• Awards Moderator

When's a good moratorium then Houchy? While we're in the thick of a new series it's hard to maintain spoiler tags, given the lack of new DS9 things to discuss. 

And get it cleared off your watch list, it's fantastic. 

• Paid Members

I think I'd agree with @Onyx2. I know not everybody may be able to watch the day of release but, as he says, given that most discussion at the moment is going to be about Discovery, it's not really a great reading experience to spoiler tag everything for days after. 

I have to say, I think Burnham is the least interesting character on the show. I'd be quite happy with a season two that focuses on Prime Lorca as Captain of Discovery. Not going to happen though. 

• Paid Members

I'm late to the Discovery party, but I love it! Just binge watched and caught up to the latest episode. Can't wait until nest Monday now!

It's no surprise, but how much better does a Star Trek series feel with the modern(ish) style of long, series wide story arcs, instead of the old "baddie of the week" style that we used to get?

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

It's no surprise, but how much better does a Star Trek series feel with the modern(ish) style of long, series wide story arcs, instead of the old "baddie of the week" style that we used to get?

That's why DS9 is so good. Yeah, DS9 always had the alien of the week/Quark and Family get up to shenanigans type episodes but once the Dominion story kicked in? Best Trek series overall for me. 

• Paid Members

Agreed, the fact things in the last episode can be traced to the very first episode highlights the wonderful storyline that show produced.

The odd holodeck baseball, Bashir is good at darts, Ferenghi, O'Brien or Garak episode thrown into the mix was always a nice relief here or there to be honest. And the majority of the characters were so well rounded (especially for Star Trek) that they were all quite enjoyable.

Being stuck at one location really did work, but it had worked for Babylon 5, and if you'r going to copy any sci fi show and even water it down a tad and get results, Babylon 5 was the show to copy.