That Star Trek thread somebody was talking about

Jazzy G

I really like Discovery as well. It's always felt like Star Trek to me, but I've always been more of a DS9 guy than TOS or TNG.

When I was a kid it never really registered how bat shit Avery Brooks was as Sisko. That said Brooks in real life is the definition of eccentricity. If you've seen the 'Captains' documentary that Shatner did a few years ago the Brooks bits are my favourites. He makes Shatner look like an accountant.

• Paid Members

I'm thinking of going back and watching through Discovery again before the 7th. I have the time, so why not?

On the subject of Star Trek, but not Discovery, I found this article about an old Star Trek trading card game super interesting: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/12/how-a-star-trek-card-game-quietly-continues-10-years-after-its-official-end/

On 15/11/2017 at 8:28 PM, johnnyboy said:

Just into season 2 of Voyager which means I should be over the worst.  I'd forgotten that the first season was truncated due to it launching mid-season, so that came as a pleasant surprise.  That planetary landing CGI though~!

There's some utter shite in the final 2 series. Clearly bereft of ideas, lumbered with Harry Kim, also Kate Mulgrew wanted out before S7 but they wouldn't let her. They should have, would have reinvigorated it loads. 

Finally caught up with Discovery in the last 2 weeks, it's so great. That pilot was hard work, though. I'm not bothered about canonical aberrations too much, as long as we can all agree JJ Abrams star trek doesn't really count. 

• Paid Members

I was all-in for Star Trek: Bridge Crew until I realised it was the JJ Enterprise. I would probably kill a few people for a VR (or VR capable, at least) Bridge Crew type game that would allow me to play as an officer on the bridge of all the Enterprise's, Voyager, Defiant and somehow get DS9 in there as well.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, hallicks said:

There's some utter shite in the final 2 series. Clearly bereft of ideas, lumbered with Harry Kim, also Kate Mulgrew wanted out before S7 but they wouldn't let her. They should have, would have reinvigorated it loads. 

Finally caught up with Discovery in the last 2 weeks, it's so great. That pilot was hard work, though. I'm not bothered about canonical aberrations too much, as long as we can all agree JJ Abrams star trek doesn't really count. 

I like AbramsTrek - sort of like the Star Trek equivalent of the MCU. One of the beauties of it is that you don't have to count it if you don't want to, because it doesn't interfere with canon (at least until they make a series pre-dating even Discovery).

• Paid Members

Looks like they're setting up a really interesting finale arc for this season of Discovery.

The "faceless" Emperor has fanservice cameo written all over it, whether it be Hoshi to tie it into the Mirror Universe episode from Enterprise or could it be Mirror Universe Harry Mudd?

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Making my way through DS9 and Iggy Pop showed up as a Vorta.  Nice cameo and I guess it freed up Jeffrey Combs to play Brunt for the episode.

"I...hate...Ferengi..."

*slumps*

• Paid Members

Discovery has been all business since it came back last week. Lots of big reveals this week, but where some reveals have taken place there's still plenty of "what now?".

That was a great episode  and in theory a great reveal at the end there. But

Michelle Yeoh is terrible. Simultaneously wooden and overly hammy. The acting style of a fictional character with no acting experience trying to act, like The Simpsons "Mr. Plow" commercial. A pantomime villain, but less threatening. Makes Hux in The Last Jedi look like Hannibal Lecter.

• Paid Members

I finally started Discovery, last week. I'm about 5 episodes deep and I really like it, thus far. The move to make it a bit less flossy could have went either way, but they've done a solid job with the more serious tone. Not a big Anthony Rapp's fast talky smart guy routine, though, but it's a minor issue.