That Star Trek thread somebody was talking about

Jazzy G

• Awards Moderator
2 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

When they've cultivated a fan base to the point that the lore is so established that they sell official canon encyclopedias and timelines the amount of retconning in Discovery grates.

Who will buy it regardless. And someone will wave a hand and say "oh, it's the Lorca-verse" and it'll all be fine. I'm a Star Wars guy and I just watched 30 years of history evaporate when Disney swept in. It just doesn't matter.

It's fairly clear these mushroom drives are going to be trouble. You know they have a solution in the bag to retcon it away.

6 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Worst of all is attaching the protagonist to existing characters.  Were they ever discussed in TOS, TNG, the movies etc?  I'd have thought that they may have come up at some point what with it being a unique situation.

See: Lorca-verse. Even if they don't, I just can't see that how it prevents you enjoying an episode. Sarek is still being Sareky.

Either way, I'm more surprised they didn't set it about 20 years after TNG and reap the lovely cameos they could've had. They could use all the same storylines and could even use a belligerent Klingon house as the bad guy.

• Awards Moderator
2 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

It does matter to some people.  Star Wars books don't count ;-)

I'm in total agreement about setting it beyond the scope of the TNG-era.  It would have eliminated almost all of the niggles.

Who doesn't want to see Admiral Picard or Riker III (PS I've forgotten everything about Nemesis if they have in fact dealt with all that)?

Seems like a missed opportunity, not exactly going to wheel out Shatner as a rookie are they? "Who's that fat old Starfleet kid? Did you hear about his Kobayashi Maru?"

• Paid Members

I've been avoiding Discovery so I can binge-watch it, but if that article is correct about the Klingons - that they've not just changed the look, but everything about them, including culture - then that's really fucking stupid. Sorry, Onyx, but that is a big deal. There are whole storylines in all the other series based on the warrior culture of the Klingons, and how it affected both individuals and the galactic powers of the time. It was a significant element of the motivations and developments of some of the major characters and how they interacted with others. Some of the best Klingon episodes were about the legal wrangling and the political landscape of the Klingon Empire. Changing the look is bad enough when it was already done once and had a story arc to explain what happened, but changing the entire bloody civilisation? They might as well have just made a whole new species. 

It's not like the Klingons are some peripheral species that a bit of tinkering wouldn't go unnoticed. They're one of the Federation's main and most frequent antagonists, and, later, allies. I could understand if they fiddled around with the Breen, the Tholians, or maybe the First Federation, but this is just mystifying. 

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

I love all things Star Trek except Enterprise's god awful theme tune, Janeway holodeck episodes in 'Irish Pubs' and Bashir pre discovering he was actually GMed to be an obnoxious tossload, after that reveal his character made sense.

Discovery is doing well, and I hope it ties things together. The Klingon looks need to be explained and linking it to TOS Klingons would be the best way.

• Paid Members

Chief O'Brien is the absolute man anyway, so these scenarios are easy to imagine him in. He's such a fantastic everyman. A series based around him could have been brilliant, and because of how down to Earth he is nobody would have batted an eyelid at him dropping casual "F bombs" all over the place.

I couldn't get into Hell On Wheels after I began seeing it as one of O'Brien's fucking holodeck stories.  I kept expecting Dr Bashir to turn up.

Discovery is definitely getting better.  I completely agree with Carbomb on the last page that they've just fucked around with Star Trek history too much, particularly in relation to the Klingons.

It's an issue entirely of their own making as someone else commented - they could simply have made a new series set after Voyager and done whatever they wanted.  It's almost as if they chose a scenario most likely to cause issues.

Speaking of other series... I was hoping for some cameos.  Archer could conceivably still be alive, and T'Pol almost certainly would be.  Again, choosing to set the series in between two others would seem suited for showing older Enterprise guys or younger TOS characters (as they've done already with that trader chappie).

It's not helping that The Orville is in many ways a better Star Trek series despite the hit and miss comedy.  The look, music, episodical nature, retro Roddenberry positivity is all bang on.

• Paid Members

Yes, @Loki! My man. The Orville has been a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine as TV snobs seem to hate it. This week's episode was great and the first episode where they've finally got the balance between humour and drama and story right. I mean, there were barely any joke jokes in this episode but when they did have humorous moments or lines, they fit right in. Whereas in previous episodes, those moments didn't quite land. 

Oh, boy. If this was /r/StarTrek we would be getting flamed for daring to mention The Orville in a Trek discussion because it's NOT TREK!!!!! Except, it really kinda is. It's a 21st century, weekly episodic sci-fi show that's like a mix between TNG and VOY but also still it's own thing. Honestly people, especially if you're a Star Trek fan and pine for that 90s/00s style of Trek, give it a chance. At least the first, say, four episodes.