That Star Trek thread somebody was talking about

Jazzy G

• Paid Members

Considering the writers loved a 'heres a normal thing and now its changed and the character struggles' trope, its a surprise they didnt take the genetic changes away to make him 'normal'.

But alas. Damar is awesome too by the way. 

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Sisko is a great captain, but the real star of DS9 was Miles Edward O'Brien. The true everyman of Star Trek.

Oh, it did my nut every time I realized I was stuck with an O'Brien episode, they seemed to come around like one in three!!

My highlight of DS9 upon a rewatch is definitely the appalling behaviour of Dr Bashir, intergalactic sexpest.

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, BrodyGraham said:

Wait until the next season of The Expanse hits.

I really like The Expanse, but anyone comparing it with Star Trek is being silly. They're both sci-fi, but they're not all that similar.

8 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I really like The Expanse, but anyone comparing it with Star Trek is being silly. They're both sci-fi, but they're not all that similar.

I know. Back when the Discovery chat was in the TV thread, it got hijacked by people basically ragging on it because it was neither Old School Trek or The Expanse. The concept of apples and oranges seemed alien to them.

I'm a big Expanse fan myself, but likewise, the comparison infuriates me.

Edited by BrodyGraham

12 hours ago, air_raid said:

Oh, it did my nut every time I realized I was stuck with an O'Brien episode, they seemed to come around like one in three!!

My highlight of DS9 upon a rewatch is definitely the appalling behaviour of Dr Bashir, intergalactic sexpest.

My one consolation was that O'Brien's wife clearly found him as annoying as I did.  She really fucking HATED him, she spent most of her time on the planet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

How nice was the little "previously on Star Trek" thing before this week's episode?

On 3/8/2019 at 6:26 PM, jazzygeofferz said:

How nice was the little "previously on Star Trek" thing before this week's episode?

It was the first little morsel in a buffet of general aceness for me.

As much as Discovery improved last season, it really feels like it's getting better and better. 

I'm double posting by default, but fuck it! The last two episodes of Discovery have been absolute stormers. 

My only gripe is that this week's pay off would be even bigger if we knew the Bridge Crew a bit better. 

You know you're getting a good one when they bust Frakes out to direct.

I feel like we know a half dozen characters really well and the rest of the Bridge Crew are essentially Tracy the barmaid from 'Enders though. I honestly feel like as much as I like her, I could know Burnham a little less if it got me a little closer to Airiam, Detmer, Oyo and the communications guy whose name I seem to have missed.

It's a common complaint and sometimes feels like a petty one but the payoff this week would've hit a lot harder with just a little more investment in the secondary characters. That said the work they did within the episode was excellent.

• Paid Members

If it had been more an "ensemble" show like the other Star Trek series and not just Michael Burnham and friends this episode would have potentially been heartbreaking. Instead it kind of felt like an episode of Black Mirror, but it managed to get you somewhat invested in Airiam in order for it to have its potency. 

The problem is that rather than being a show about the ship and crew they decided that it needed a protagonist and in doing so even the episodes about other characters almost all pretty much have to be seen through Burnham's eyes. Hopefully the new showrunner for next season understands this and can try and shift the focus away from that. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• 4 weeks later...