jazzygeofferz

That Star Trek thread somebody was talking about

I didn't realise the new series of the Orville started on Fox a couple of weeks ago either. First episode was pretty much a bottle show, but dealt with the relationships between several of the characters. Set us up for the things to come. Few nice gags.

The Orville is what I watch instead of Star Trek now. It found its feet in the middle and is now nicely into what really Trek should be.

I hate Alex Kurtzman with a passion. Why a man who doesn't understand Star Trek that much is in charge of it I'll never know.

The Orville feels like it's a lot more about the characters and comedy than the "sci fi" so far this series, which is a shame because there were some episodes last series that were really good sci fi episodes with some jokes sprinkled in. That stuff feels like it's taking a back seat at the moment though. Has there been a change in the production staff or anything? I know there were a lot of the writers, producers etc from 90s Trek on hand last year who I guess helped keep Seth McFarlane's vision on the right path. Might just be a case of getting some of the hokey shit out of the way first and then getting on with the "proper" show like it was last time around. You can see the love for TNG etc in  the design and whole feel of the show.

Discovery really feels like it's found its feet now with a solid start to season 2.

#sillyfortilly

Edited by johnnyboy

8 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Discovery really feels like it's found its feet now with a solid start to season 2.

#sillyfortilly

Tilly is a great character. It feels a lot more Star Trek this series. I like Captain Pike as well. 

4 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

It feels a lot more Star Trek this series.

I thought that with the second episode, good old fashioned away team mission with a conundrum to solve.

On the issue of "what Trek should be" what was the initial reaction to DS9 as I'm rewatching for the first time since it aired and it's so different to any of the other series'.

Also this season of Discovery has been brilliant so far, they've really managed the balance of big high budget action and "Trekness".

16 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

On the issue of "what Trek should be" what was the initial reaction to DS9 as I'm rewatching for the first time since it aired and it's so different to any of the other series'.

Also this season of Discovery has been brilliant so far, they've really managed the balance of big high budget action and "Trekness".

There's a bit of a conspiracy theory regarding early DS9. J. Michael Straczynski had shopped Babylon 5 around for several years before WB picked it up. Paramount had access to his season 1 Bible and character backgrounds but passed on it (around 1988-89 time I think). Then when Paramount got wind of WB making a space opera set on a station, they decided to make a new Star Trek series set on a station. JMS has strongly hinted in the past that early DS9 "borrowed" from his ideas (a shapeshifter/changeling character was the specific one I remember reading about), which he then had to write out or rework. 

It's pretty plain really, considering how different early DS9 is compared to other Trek franchises. As it evolves, it converges more towards the norm. Still the best franchise, for me. Voyager died on its arse towards the end whereas DS9 really crescendoed. 

I've been inspired by Discovery to watch a bit of DS9. It really is superb. I'll quite happily put on record that Sisko is the best captain. He's ace.

Wait, people LIKE Tilly?  She's like the Jar Jar Binks of the series, awkward and unwanted comedy sidekick.  They keep saying she has leadership qualities - Picard would NOT approve.

Ep 2 of this series was the most Trek so far, so I will stick with it.  But there's just none of the dynamic between the crew that all the old series have.  I couldn't name any of the crew outside the main 3 or 4.  

I'm also really confused about the Spore Drive.  It's a continuity destroying piece of technology so when they said they weren't going to use it again I thought "Well, unsubtle but at least they've addressed the problem".  Now this season they're zipping about across the galaxy again.  Why make a prequel series if you're just going to give them tech that destroys all the subsequent series?  Why didn't they just set this all after Voyager?

1 hour ago, Loki said:

Why make a prequel series if you're just going to give them tech that destroys all the subsequent series?

There's all manner of gadgets in S1 that piss all over anything that Picard's lot had access to. I chalked it up to "a wizard Q did it."

I think they've put the 'spore drive destroys the universe' bit into play and they'll pull the trigger later on. Likely when they need to make a very necessary jump and then can't. Either way, Im enjoying it.

It does irk me that they continue to make prequels though. Continue the damn story! The Picard thing will be good but even that is 20 years after everything else...

They've started making inroads towards putting the holograms and such on the back burner as well so far. 

Sisko is a great captain, but the real star of DS9 was Miles Edward O'Brien. The true everyman of Star Trek.

4 hours ago, Loki said:

Wait, people LIKE Tilly?

The season 2 stuff has not done much for her, but I'd still like her to come to my house and have some beans on toast.  Saru is clearly the best in the actual series, plus Pike's been a great addition.

If you're up to date:

It's clear the spore drive has opened up some shit so that'll lead to its total banning.

Edited by johnnyboy