That Star Trek thread somebody was talking about

Jazzy G

Here is some blurb, the bold bits may not have been included in the original copy.

The actor will reprise his 'Next Generation' role as Jean-Luc Picard more than two decades after the syndicated favorite wrapped its run.

Patrick Stewart is boldly going where he has been before.

As has been rumored for months, the actor has officially signed on to star in a new Star Trek series for CBS All Access in which he will reprise his role as Jean-Luc Picard. The new series will not be a reboot of The Next Generation but instead is being described as an exploration of the next chapter of Picard's life. Additional details about the new series, including its title, episode count or a premiere date, are being kept under wraps. The creative team for the newest Star Trek series includes Alex Kurtzman, who serves as showrunner on CBS All Access' Discovery and whose recent overall deal with CBS Television Studios included marching orders to expand the beloved and global franchise.

"With overwhelming joy, it’s a privilege to welcome Sir Patrick Stewart back to the Star Trek fold. For over 20 years, fans have hoped for the return of Captain Jean-Luc Picard and that day is finally here. We can’t wait to forge new ground, surprise people, and honor generations both new and old," said Kurtzman, who leads a creative team that also includes James Duff (The Closer, Major Crimes), Akiva Goldsman (Discovery), Michael Chabon (the John Carter writer who is also penning one of the recently announced Star Trek: Discovery shorts) and Kirsten Beyer (Discovery).  

Stewart confirmed his return to the franchise Saturday at a Star Trek convention in Las Vegas, where he made a surprise appearance on stage. (Watch him make the announcement, below.)

"I will always be very proud to have been a part of Star Trek: The Next Generation, but when we wrapped that final movie in the spring of 2002, I truly felt my time with Star Trek had run its natural course," said Stewart, who will also exec produce the new series. "It is, therefore, an unexpected but delightful surprise to find myself excited and invigorated to be returning to Jean-Luc Picard and to explore new dimensions within him. Seeking out new life for him, when I thought that life was over. During these past years, it has been humbling to hear many stories about how The Next Generation brought people comfort, saw them through difficult periods in their lives or how the example of Jean-Luc inspired so many to follow in his footsteps, pursuing science, exploration and leadership. I feel I'm ready to return to him for the same reason — to research and experience what comforting and reforming light he might shine on these often very dark times. I look forward to working with our brilliant creative team as we endeavor to bring a fresh, unexpected and pertinent story to life once more."

Star Trek: The Next Generation ran for seven seasons and more than 170 episodes, earning 19 Emmys and a Peabody Award. Stewart would go on to star in a number of Star Trek features — including 1998's Star Trek: Insurrection and 2002's Star Trek: Nemesis as Picard.

Joining Stewart as exec producers on the new untitled Star Trek series are Kurtzman, Duff, Goldsman, Chabon, Kurtzman's Secret Hideout president Heather Kadin, Rod Roddenberry, the son of Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry and the CEO of Roddenberry Entertainment and Trevor Roth.

The Stewart-led series marks the third new Star Trek on CBS' subscription video on demand platform All Access, joining Discovery and shortform spinoff Short Treks. The latter is a four-episode series with each installment running 10-15 minutes that offers deeper explorations of the characters and themes from Discovery and the expanding Star Trek universe. The series will launch in the fall and roll out monthly, helping to keep awareness of Discovery high before its return in January 2019.

For his part, Kurtzman was tapped to spearhead development of what would become Discovery. He's now Discovery's third showrunner after the series parted ways with Bryan Fuller (following creative differences) and Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts (following leadership and operational issues). Days after THR broke the news of Kurtzman's promotion to showrunner, he signed a $25 million new overall deal with producers CBS Television Studios that included expanding the Star Trek world. Also coming back is the much loved Moriarty character, portrayed by Daniel Davis.  Davis was quoted as saying "I'm delighted to be able to return to such a much loved character, and of course it has the bonus of pissing some lairy internet loudmouth off who posts on some wrestling forum"

Stewart is repped by ICM Partners, Anonymous Content and Ziffren Brittenham.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
12 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

That's not a klingon, THIS is a Klingon:

images(5).jpg

Fair enough. I see you've played Orc-y Klingon-y before.

Seriously, though, the Klingon re-design is just shit at this point. I'm not a purist, I always like to see new stuff as long as it can be explained to a reasonable degree in the story, which it usually can. But this is just fucking stupid, and really lazy. The Klingons have been re-designed three times prior to Discovery - do they really need it again, just to show how oh-so-new-and-innovative the new series are? Can't they do it with the other aliens now? It's just starting to feel like a lazy go-to trope.

• Paid Members

I think I read somewhere that the Picard show is based in the "Kelvin-verse", so may be quite different.I had a strange idea for a show featuring Picard,Janeway and other members of  the admiralty justAdmiralling around.

Anybody else interested to see Pike as the new captain on Discovery?

• Paid Members

No! Please, God, no. I don't want Kelvin-Picard. The Trek movies and TV rights are owned by two different companies, there is no reason why CBS should have to or try to tie in with a series of movies that have, sine Star Trek 2009, done progressively worse and worse at the box office, not to mention how each movie got worse and worse as well.

There is no reason at all they can't do this in the Prime timeline.

Discovery looks like it'll be less dark for its second season with a little more fun moments thrown in. From the little we've seenz the actor playing Pike seems to play it well. I'm just frustrated with the link between Burnham and Spock that they've teased they're going to explore further because Spock never once, over several TV series and an entire movie franchise,.mentioned even once having a human half sister. Neither did his dad. It's dumb.

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• 5 months later...
  • Paid Members

New series of Discovery started last week. It was pretty good. I look forward to seeing what happens this series. I hear the Short Trek mini episodes are supposed to be quite good as well. 

• Paid Members
On 10/21/2018 at 11:52 AM, johnnyboy said:

The DS9 documentary is glorious.  They specifically asked for no posted spoilers, but there are some snippets on their Twitter by the documentary team if you want to look yourself.  They're still trying to fundraise to get as much footage in HD as they can before it's out out, so this could well be the best (only 😢 ) chance to see DS9 in HD.

The bits that had been done looked boxfresh, but then the VHS quality clips probably jarred a bit more having seen just Sisko's glorious bonce in HD.

Any idea when the DS9 doc is released?

• Paid Members

I didn't realise the new series of the Orville started on Fox a couple of weeks ago either. First episode was pretty much a bottle show, but dealt with the relationships between several of the characters. Set us up for the things to come. Few nice gags.

• Paid Members

The Orville feels like it's a lot more about the characters and comedy than the "sci fi" so far this series, which is a shame because there were some episodes last series that were really good sci fi episodes with some jokes sprinkled in. That stuff feels like it's taking a back seat at the moment though. Has there been a change in the production staff or anything? I know there were a lot of the writers, producers etc from 90s Trek on hand last year who I guess helped keep Seth McFarlane's vision on the right path. Might just be a case of getting some of the hokey shit out of the way first and then getting on with the "proper" show like it was last time around. You can see the love for TNG etc in  the design and whole feel of the show.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
8 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Discovery really feels like it's found its feet now with a solid start to season 2.

#sillyfortilly

Tilly is a great character. It feels a lot more Star Trek this series. I like Captain Pike as well.