UFC 218: Holloway vs Aldo 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Very true, comes accross as good fun in the embedded episodes, when they are taking bits and pieces and showing him when he comes accross more relaxed. When I've heard him on the MMA Hour though I haven't managed to make it through a whole interview before saying to myself "what'd the point" and skipping the rest of it. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

Stipe actually seems like a laugh, if you follow him on IG, but you can tell he's really shy and awkward in front of a camera or in interviews. Hardly the sort of personality that gets people into the building.

A large element of this falls on the shoulders of the promoter. If a fighter can promote themselves, happy days. If they don't have that skill then the promoter needs to do their job. Randy Couture wasn't exactly a dynamic personality, neither was Liddell. Stipe should be easy to promote (likeable, fireman etc). I've seen pretty much fuck all promotion from the UFC for their Heavyweight Champ.

• Paid Members

True. Eddie Hearn has talked about this alot recently in his interviews especially with regards to breaking into the US. He says that it's a problem in American boxing that they simply don't promote their fighters. Paulie Malignaggi also spoke about it on his podcast, he said some US promoters literally book a venue, book some fights and leave it at that. I guess that crosses over into MMA. I sometimes feel that post-fight the actual fighter being interviewed in the cage should have his manager/team with him to pipe in with a few words. Some fighters don't need it, but others need a mouthpiece to stir up some interest for them. 

• Paid Members

I feel like the UFC used to be brilliant at their fighter packages, training videos etc (although I don't need to see Cain's dad packing lettuces again) but they've fallen off massively since the new owners took over. If you don't promote your own shit who's going to? Dana slagging off his own talent at press conferences always make me cringe, Woodley/Wonderboy being a recent example. Imagine a record label saying 'Yeah did you see? A couple of our bands were proper shit at Glastonbury'.

• Paid Members

You're not wrong, DM, but sadly that just isn't the UFC, these days. I'm forever banging on about the lack of love Stipe gets, but you're quite right pointing out the UFC doesn't do a well enough job with him. Going by the current standard, Stipe just isn't going to draw in many fans - I mean, look at this thread and how indifferent some of the hardcores are to him.

• Paid Members

For me it's not even about promotion with Stipe. I just don't find him that likeable and no amount of promotion is likely to change that. Great fighter. Once the cage door closes he's exciting to watch. And that's enough for me. But he's not someone I can ever see myself getting really invested in or rooting for. Ngannou hasn't done a fraction of what Stipe has in the cage but I've instantly taken a liking to him. Not everyone will be for everyone. 

They definitely don't do as good a job with promoting individual fighters as they used to though. I think it's probably a combination of, like Dead Mike says, the new owners' influence and also the sheer size of the roster now. They've got more fighters under contract now than they've ever had before so that's always going to be a challenge when trying to spotlight specific names. 

The world is changing, the embeddeds are good for little chunks of promotion that don't take up much time,  unless you have a guy like Conor or the like then half an hour or hour Countdowns & Prime times aren't that interesting.

The kids watch TV with one hand on their phone doing something else, they might tune in when something big happens but they don't care how a fighter volunteers as a fireman.

Randy Couture was an older decorated champion in two divisions and sounded like a real nice guy, Stipe & DJ both seem nice as well but Randy being a nice guy stood out at first against guys like Chuck & Tito who seemed much different.

I would say the brand is the important thing for Zuffa, guys & girls can look great, then bang someone beats them, they pushed Chuck, Rampage knocks him out and he's never been the same, the exact thing happened with Ronda, the sport is so unpredictable, if you just push one person, you look stupid when that person then loses.

They've heavily pushed Nganno ss the next big star but it seems when people wrote off Overeem he usually comes through, then loses the ones he expected to win.

If Aldo can get his kicks in and the threat of a takedown, then I see it helping him more than last time but Max's unpredictability, length and cardio still keeps him as the clear favorite to retain.

Archived