UFC 218: Holloway vs Aldo 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I haven't seen anything about Eddie's injury. The closest example I could compare it to that it reminded me of was during Brendan Schaub's awful fight with Arlovski a few years back, and Schaub's face swelled up like it was Jimmy Savile's cock in a playground. 

Remember this shit?...

image.jpg

Apparently Schaub was cleared with no facial injury in the post-fight medicals though so fuck knows? 

I also wouldn't mind Aldo vs Pettis at 155lbs. There has been talk for years about Aldo going up to Lightweight, even as far back as 2011. Even if he wasn't shot before the Holloway losses, he might be now. Those two stoppage losses might have taken quite a bit out of him. The one this past weekend was especially brutal. Also, fighters grow old pretty quick in the lighter divisions, and while only 31, Aldo has been in the game for over 14 years. Time will tell for him. 

A rematch between McGregor and Max may eventually happen, but quite a bit has to happen before it becomes a real possibility. Conor's prior win over Max, and him not losing the Featherweight belt inside the cage are merely insurance for him if all else fails. For Conor to go back down to 145lbs, his options would have to dry up at Lightweight (and the GSP fight would have to be off the table completely). For now, there are more lucrative options for Conor elsewhere. 

That's not to say that McGregor has to fall on his arse for the rematch to happen. Max is building momentum and quickly becoming one of the sport's reference points. That could be derailed by Edgar, for reasons mentioned on the previous page. However, let's say that Max beats Edgar and his stature continues to grow. It's possible that Max may move up to Lightweight - a move that he is already open to under the right circumstances. That could potentially open the door for McGregor vs Max 2 at Lightweight. Beyond this, there's also the possibility that McGregor won't fight again at all (I think he will for the record), or if he does, he will only fight on a few more occasions (I think this could happen)

• Paid Members

Dustin Poirier pushing for the Alvarez rematch. This needs settling over 5 rounds...

"I felt that should've happened before he got that TUF gig. I was winning the fight, some foul stuff happened and we should've run it back. He shouldn't have been rewarded with a TV show and another big fight. But, this isn't the fair business, this is the fight business, so you keep rolling." 

"I don't think the guy wants to fight me. He can say what he wants to say, his coaches can say that they wanted the fight. Originally we both agreed, or supposedly I heard that he agreed to fight me in October in Vegas, and that's what I was kind of starting to prepare for. I was training in Florida for that, then it got moved to five weeks later against Pettis." 

"I'm not a quitter man. Look at my history. If he has to tell himself that to feel good about the 10 minutes he got his ass whooped, whatever. The crazy thing is, I grew up looking up to Eddie. He was a big name fighting out of Japan and HDNet used to do specials on him and I was a young fighter then and I really liked the guy. Still, now I respect him as a fighter, he's a strong fighter and has a lot of heart. But as a person, he's a bitch, man. He's talking shit when I stood up for him in the heat of the moment. Maybe in the heat of the moment it was an accident, but now that I've gone back and watched the fight as a fan like he said, I think it was on purpose. It was a veteran move, he knew he was going out of that fight and he saw a chance to land a strike on a guy and did it. He knew exactly what he was doing. So he quit."

"Fuck Eddie. Fight me five rounds and see who quits."

• Paid Members

Yeh, Poirier/Alvarez II has to happen, i always thought they should have gone with an instand rematch but it's probably worked out better now because both a coming off big wins, and whilst we're at it, i'll have me some Pettis/Gaethje too.

Loved the Gaethje/Alvarez fight. It was as advertised but both guys came with one x-factor, Gaethje had the legkicks and Alvarez had the body shots. I honestly thought Gaethje was gonna pull it off in that final minute but that last little grapple exchange seemed to drain him of anything he had left.

Actually what about Cowboy Cerrone/Gaethje? Cowboy has said he'll be going back to 155 next.

Nice to see the UFC give out two FOTN bonus awards too, i was wondering which fight would take it but they both deserved the accolade. Medeiros/Cowboy also warranted it, barmy fight. Yancy Medeiros has been one of the more underrated fighters in the UFC for years.

Holloway/Aldo felt flat for patches but it ended up being a good fight. What i take away from it is just how comfortable Holloway is in there. It looked like he was coasting and he just broke Aldo down, didn't even look like he broke a sweat.

The women fights were nothing to write home about, send em all to Invicta.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Yeh, Poirier/Alvarez II has to happen, i always thought they should have gone with an instand rematch but it's probably worked out better now because both a coming off big wins, and whilst we're at it, i'll have me some Pettis/Gaethje too.

The way they did it also meant we got a FOTY contender in Alvarez vs Gaethje and an excellent Poirier vs Pettis fight as well so, with the benefit of hindsight, I'm absolutely all for how it played out. 

Gaethje vs Cerrone would get my vote. Didn't know Cowboy was definitely moving back to 155. There's so many options for great fights for Gaethje in the UFC lightweight division though. And they're all fresh fights. It's ridiculous. Donald Cerrone, Anthony Pettis, Jim Miller, Joe Lauzon, Clay Guida. Fuck, how about Lando Vannata? 

• Paid Members

@Egg ShenIt's already become pretty iconic picture, eh?

Anecdotal, but rarely have I known a fighter to get so much buzz from randoms as Ngannou. Marketing him as having the hardest punch ever, then Ngannou doing that is McGregor-level stars aligning. If he batters Stipe in a round you've got to imagine he's breaking out past that 250/350k drawing champion.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Ngannou's got that buzz factor surrounding him at the moment. I picked Overeem to beat him, but when you carry that kind of power and you are not afraid to let your hands go you pretty much have a chance to beat anyone. The thing, the jury's still out on how good he actually is, and in an ideal world i'd want to see him fight once or twice more before getting in there with Stipe, but they have to strike whilst the iron is hot and chuck him in there. We all know how unpredictable heavyweight MMA is, it's near impossible to go on a real crazy win streak, so let's see it.

Archived