How do you sleep at night?

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Thought this had the potential to be one of those areas where what we do seems normal and OK, but it really isn't. 

Face down, head at one side, with a fist propped up against the jaw and then sprawl away. Bit like this, if I were lying face down, as opposed to having been shot. 

stock_photo_crime_scene_chalk_outline_of

Apparently this isn't how most people sleep and I recall an ex saying 'You look like you've suffocated yourself in the mattress and died'.

Also, I'll be in the cold, hard ground before I start wearing pyjamas to bed. 

Anyone else follow this noble approach to sleeping?

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, mim731 said:

That sounds quite similar to how I sleep. Face down, head tilted a bit, arm under the pillow is nornally how I settle, after some inevitable shifting about to get comfortable.

Yep, this is me. Even in Winter I have one leg sticking out as I get ridiculously hot when I'm all tucked in. In summer I'm usually sleeping bollock naked on top of the duvet. How the fuck any of you lot sleep in PJs is beyond me.

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

On my right side, right arm/hand under the pillow near my jaw. 

One leg out of the blanket to regulate heat. 

Pjama bottoms and aT shirt. 

I usually wake up sweating like fuck. 

I don't get this at all. As a surefire way to regulate your temperature, just don't put on clothes as if you're out exploring the Artic tundra. 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

I don't get this at all. As a surefire way to regulate your temperature, just don't put on clothes as if you're out exploring the Artic tundra. 

We used to live in a flat that was as cold as the Artic Tundra, so I guess it's just carried over from there. 

I'm never going back!

Sleeping arrangement's become a military operation the last few months. On me front, head turned leftward, left hand holding me nostril open (it shuts on its own), wax earplugs in and a Run the Jewels bandana wrapped around me head. The bandana is less to block out light than it is to augment the affect of the ear plugs, though it does both. Usually run a fan all night as well for the white noise and to keep the room cool.

The plugs/bandana/fan combination is all necessary to block out noise from the main road outside the flat. Its odd though because the first month or so we were here I slept like a baby without any of it. I've habituated to the noise in the worst possible way.

• Paid Members

I actually sleep best with a bit of noise. Stick me a couple of floors up in an inner city hotel and I'll get the best night's sleep I can muster, because there tends to be a constant level of background noise that I find easy to tune out until it's just a bit of a soothing hum. If I'm somewhere less busy, and there's just intermittent noise - the neighbour's baby crying in the middle of the night, or a car horn on the road outside the flat, breaking up long periods of silence, I'll sleep horribly.

• Paid Members

I used to be able to sleep through anything, but the past seven, eight years I've had a weird insomnia that works in cycles. I'll go for a whole period of being able to sleep, and then - CLICK - all of a sudden I can't get to sleep until it's five in the morning. I'm exactly the person Chris Morris aimed the series Jam at. Insomnia humour is probably the only benefit. 

Archived