Shows You Abandoned

JNLister

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Is Airwolf series 4 the one where it's supposed to be HAwke's brother and they've got a red helicopter? It's like the A-Team series 5 with the late Robert Vaughn as General Stockwell  and that new guy, Frankie. They tried to give it some kind of narrative as an attempt to freshen the show up and it just died on its arse. Arguably both shows had died on their arses by then anyway. KnightRider just about managed to avoid outstaying its welcome if memory serves, but then we got Team Knight Rider, and the remake with Val Kilmer as the car. And the Knight Rider 2000 movie. The one with Jan HAmmer doing the soundtrack and the car's completely different.

Basically the show had been canned , it was too expensive had some stuntman deaths JMV's alcohol addiction made filming impossible. Donald P had left and ratings were shite! It was then  then resurrected in Canada for season for with Dominic killed off screen and everyone else missing, St John (Sinjen :p ) was indeed the lead now looking vastly different and Barry van Dyke like ( it was Barry haha!).  AIrwolf was the same chopper, as much of the shoot reused stock or existing footage with only the cockpit mock up being used from memory. Shame that  the Airwolf Copter ended how it did :( Dick van Dyke was Malduke, a baddie in probably the best episode of the series, I wish Dick had played more heel guys he is actually quite the menace when he wants to be. Usually nicey nice vs unhinged, much like Robin Williams in One Hour Photo etc, flipping his image on it's head for dramatic effect.

I lost track of A-Team somewere around when Hannibal pretended to be 'Jim Beam' as a down and out, in a plot that would later be done much better as Hard Target.. Never seen seen seis 5.. Knightrider is a weird one the 2000 movie isnt that bad with the old and the new KITT's and the newer stuff with the hummer was watchable much as the likes of Nash Bridges and Renegades were.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator
11 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I'm trying to get Enterprise watched at the moment, usually an episode or two a day before and/or after work.depending on the shift. I'm a couple of episodes into series 2, and all I keep thinking is how sexualised T'Pol is.

I was so disappointed in Enterprise. I gave up around season 3 but yes the overt sexualisation of T'Pol was embarrassing, like it was directed by a 16 year old boy.

I see it there on Netflix and keep thinking about binging it to see how it plays out, but I keep deferring to Next Generation - so good! Watched Best of Both Worlds this morning for the umpteenth time and it's such great drama. Best series cliffhanger of all time that.

I've given up on loads of stuff. Well before Lister's 6 ep quota, but with so much choice out there in terms of quality TV now there's no need to hang around waiting for it to click. The most recent example was Riverdale, which I saw more than one person on here say it was the best written thing ever which completely baffles me.

• Paid Members

Snap, Onyx. I'm actually watching TNG, although have decided to not watch every episode but follow a watch/skip guide. Just got done with Q Who? which is the first encounter with the Borg. 

I encourage you to watch Enterprise through. It isn't brilliant but it's still more Star Trek than Discovery is. 

• Awards Moderator
19 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Discovery

I have a feeling Discovery is going to turn out sensational now it's got going. None of the Star Trek pilots have been any good. Encounter at Farpoint? No fucking thanks. 

Mrs Onyx didn't fancy watching it but I think I can convince her otherwise. BUT I'm going to start her with Ep 3 and see how it goes. I think that's the way to introduce Michael. (By the way I think Sonequa is a major talent.) 

• Paid Members

I like it, don't get me wrong but...

I would have preferred they leant a little more episodic, with the Klingon war in the background while they do other stuff, with the war culminating towards the back end of the season.

I agree on Sonequa, for sure. It's not a big deal, really, since I can watch The Orville and Discovery and get...the best of both worlds!

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Your spoiler is a good idea, but Star Trek is hamstrung by modern tastes in dramatic TV defiantly not being episodic. And yet still trying to hark back to classic Trek. 

Indeed. Although if the audience scores of The Orville are anything to go by, viewers aren't totally against light hearted, episodic science fiction. It's crazy the disconnect between viewers and critics on that show. 

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, patiirc said:

Basically the show had been canned , it was too expensive had some stuntman deaths JMV's alcohol addiction made filming impossible. Donald P had left and ratings were shite! It was then  then resurrected in Canada for season for with Dominic killed off screen and everyone else missing, St John (Sinjen :p ) was indeed the lead now looking vastly different and Barry van Dyke like ( it was Barry haha!).  AIrwolf was the same chopper, as much of the shoot reused stock or existing footage with only the cockpit mock up being used from memory. Shame that  the Airwolf Copter ended how it did :( Dick van Dyke was Malduke, a baddie in probably the best episode of the series, I wish Dick had played more heel guys he is actually quite the menace when he wants to be. Usually nicey nice vs unhinged, much like Robin Williams in One Hour Photo etc, flipping his image on it's head for dramatic effect.

I lost track of A-Team somewere around when Hannibal pretended to be 'Jim Beam' as a down and out, in a plot that would later be done much better as Hard Target.. Never seen seen seis 5.. Knightrider is a weird one the 2000 movie isnt that bad with the old and the new KITT's and the newer stuff with the hummer was watchable much as the likes of Nash Bridges and Renegades were.

There was also that really weird Knight Rider 2010, the Mad Max style one with the girl as the car.

• Paid Members
On ‎13‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:37 PM, Gus Mears said:

New Twin Peaks after about 6 episodes. I was looking forward to it for about a year, but have absolutely no attention span and thought the first few episodes were shit and everyone was just mutually pretending to each other that it wasn't in fact shit. Went back to my usually quality fayre of Midsummer Murders, documentaries and repeats of Bullseye.

First half of the first episode of new Twin Peaks I was just carried through by hype, then for the rest of it, was thinking, "Hang on...is this actually shit?", then the second episode I was thinking "...this might be bollocks. This is bollocks, isn't it?", but figured I'd stay invested in it. Felt like I was watching it out of some sense of commitment by episode 3...and then warmed to it at 4. It was around episode 6 or 7 that I was completely on board, followed by episode 8 being the most preposterous episode of any television show ever (not necessarily in a bad way). After that, I was hooked, and absolutely loved the remainder of the series. One day I'll go back and watch the whole thing again, and see if the first few episodes feel any better, or like they make any more sense, with the context of where the series goes from there. I think at the time I was just annoyed at how little of it was actually happening in the town of Twin Peaks itself.

As for stuff I've abandoned...just about everything, really.

Breaking Bad I lasted about a season and a half - just couldn't get what the fuss was about, and thought it was all a lot more one-dimensional than the reviews suggested.

Man Men I lasted one season - it just seemed to be all style and no substance. I remember a Private Eye cartoon around the same time, one guy saying to the other, "it's amazing, the amount of attention to period detail in this show", and his mate replying, "what, did they not have plots in the '50s then?". I just didn't give a single shit about any of the characters.

True Blood was less than a season - bought it on DVD off the strength of some rave reviews and a belter of a theme tune, that was getting a lot of play on Radio 2 at the time. Turns out it was utter bollocks.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

First half of the first episode of new Twin Peaks I was just carried through by hype, then for the rest of it, was thinking, "Hang on...is this actually shit?", then the second episode I was thinking "...this might be bollocks. This is bollocks, isn't it?", but figured I'd stay invested in it. Felt like I was watching it out of some sense of commitment by episode 3...and then warmed to it at 4. It was around episode 6 or 7 that I was completely on board, followed by episode 8 being the most preposterous episode of any television show ever (not necessarily in a bad way). After that, I was hooked, and absolutely loved the remainder of the series. One day I'll go back and watch the whole thing again, and see if the first few episodes feel any better, or like they make any more sense, with the context of where the series goes from there. I think at the time I was just annoyed at how little of it was actually happening in the town of Twin Peaks itself.

I think that last sentence is probably the defining issue with me. It might well have been a decent television programme, but it didn't feel at all like Twin Peaks. Everything from the lack of scenes in the town to the almost total elimination of a Badalementi score detracted from the unique feel of the original. I will endeavour to watch the whole thing through at some point in the near future, as I know it's meant to improve, but couldn't be bothered with watching week-by-week.

• Paid Members

Yeah, it definitely picked up - and, not coincidentally, did so as more of it started to take place in Twin Peaks. For me, the highlights of the new series were almost all Twin Peaks-based scenes, or just about anything Gordon Cole did.

I was cautious about it after reading Mark Frost's "Secret History" book - that seemed like an attempt to explain everything in Twin Peaks' lore by tying in disparate bits of American history, conspiracies, UFO sightings and sodding Bigfoot. For me, the supernatural stuff in Twin Peaks is great, but to focus on that overlooks that the best bits of Twin Peaks weirdness isn't weird because of the Black Lodge and some mystical evil force, it's weird because it's a small town, and small towns are weird. There's an off-kilter charm to it that the new series takes a little while to find.

Archived