Shows You Abandoned

JNLister

• Paid Members

How I Met Your Mother  - I gave up at the end of the penultimate series because i realised that I didn't actually care how he met the mother because Ted Moseby is probably the most unlikeable main character in a comedy ever.

Dexter - I stopped after the penultimate series because I just couldn't be bothered to wade through the shit that was coming for the last series - I knew they wouldn't do a good job and so just cut my losses.

Walking Dead - after one of the Governor's series ended in an unfulfilling way I just decided I couldn't be arsed with it. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Dexter - Actually got midway through the final season before I just couldn't stomach it any more, but hadn't enjoyed it since John Lithhow single-handedly carried Season 4. By the end I think every single other person in the show knows he's a murderer but nobody seems to care, and I didn't either. Heard the ending was the drizzling shits and catching it on Youtube years later cemented that.

Walking Dead - Gave up just before Negan and Co showed up. The show had always been episodes of nothing followed by one big episode, but that chipped me down eventually. It didn't help that any time you'd get attached to a character they'd either die or do something so stupid you wondered why you liked them in the first place, e.g. when Carol, who in the first season wasn't even brave enough to stand up for herself was suddenly just totally fine with shooting a human child in the head.

Mad Men - Became so self-indulgent and obvious that it was getting hard to stick around. Netflix never adding the second half of the final season helped and I never went looking for it.

Better Call Saul - Caught Season 1 and enjoyed it, but not enough to go back to Season 2. It's the issue with prequals where you know what does or doesn't happen to most the characters because you've already seen Breaking Bad.

Game of Thrones  - Overhyped shit. Too much going on, very poor writing, relies on tits and blood to get by. One of those shows where the fans are so into it they completely ignore whether it's good or not.

Don't forget the time you stopped watching Raw. Every week for the past year.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Nexus said:

How I Met Your Mother  - I gave up at the end of the penultimate series because i realised that I didn't actually care how he met the mother because Ted Moseby is probably the most unlikeable main character in a comedy ever.

I see your Ted Moseby and raise you a Dr John Dorian.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Little Johnny said:

Don't forget the time you stopped watching Raw. Every week for the past year.

Oh yeah and this. I'll catch a Youtube clip if it sounds decent but haven't watched a full episode in forever and don't have the Network. Thanks for reminding me!

Also on the subject of unlikeable protagonists, any one of the Desperate Housewives. They're all just selfish, chaotic, horrible nightmares. Nobody in real life would ever put up with them. 

Heroes: It started off as a fun and creative show, but they overloaded it in the second season, throwing out so many new characters to go along with the established ones that it became impossible to keep up with everything.

The Following: Another show that suffered from the excesses of the writers. A serial killer being able to charm people from jail is believable because it happens and there have been many real life examples. And it was fine when it was just three people.  But when they suddenly revealed this cult of dozens and dozens people that had fallen under his spell, it was just too much and it went from being a gritty and realistic show to just another crime drama with a ridiculous premise.

20 hours ago, Grecian said:

Arrow. Loved the first season, liked the second, sky plussed most of the third them got rid of Sky before watching them. Never bothered going back for more.

You haven't missed much.They keep repeating the same four plot devices over and over and over again; someone is keeping a secret which leads to tension within the group, someone comes back from the dead, a mysterious opponent whose identity is kept hidden, and Oliver’s identity as the Arrow/Green Arrow gets revealed. They managed to cram all four of them into the opening episode of the newest season.

Below contains spoilers for Breaking Bad (Not sure how to spoiler so don't want to ruin for anyone who truly wants to see the show)

Can't believe I've actually seen somebody else (actually several people) admit that Breaking Bad is actually just that, bad. I know it isn't in keeping with the thread request (part way through and gave up) but I did watch to the end. Was the first proper TV series that myself and girlfriend actually decided to watch together so felt I had to perceviere. She would watch several episodes at a time, whereas I'd get quite behind to have to blitz back through as a "great moment" had happened. Never saw these "great momemts " though.
The writing is horrendous, it to me definitely feels like one of the things that people like to jump on because others are saying it's good. I seem to remember watching an episode (first season) that was WW's 49th birthday, and in season 5 or so was actually celebrating his 50th (i'm probably wrong on that though!). So my thinking is, the Jessie character went cold turkey/back using about 162 times in the space of a calendar year. And was such a little bitch of a character in all honesty. Nothing of note actually happened with WW properly. This 'great characterisation' of a slow heel turn that supposedly happened with him was awful. He was neither bad/nor good. Ever. He was cleared of the cancer eventually which personally was the hook for me, to then get it back again later? He sells drugs. Which probably end up in a childs possession through some means. Yet gets the hero send off at the end. Not in my World folks. This group of dealers at the end are scum, and do need their comeuppance but it should have been someone else who led to their demise. Anyway, rant over. On topic now.... Spoilers end. How Better Call Saul is brilliant, from the same team too, is such a paradigm at worse, head scratcher at best is beyond me. BCS is really great.

I am a big comic book nerd, but I am fast losing interest in The Flash. It's devolved into one of those schmaltzy, Americana, love conquers all, let's give all the characters the best bits, let's give every character a power, yadda yadda yadda type of shows. It started so promising. Will try to get to the croosover event, if i'm still not sold then I'll be cutting ties completely.

Supergirl I gave up on about 4 or 5 episodes towards the end of the first season. See above, and uninteresting characters.

HIMYM was dire. Barney Stinson is a prize cunt. But not in the loveable way they wanted you to see him as. Ted Moseby is a drip of the highest regard. Marshall and Lilly have some chemistry, but between the five of them I don't believe their dialogue. Their little chuckles when someone would say something funny was bad, looked very much like acting. Gave up after about season 3.

Parks and Recreation. Gave up after two, maybe three seasons. See above, just didn't believe the characters at all. Felt like a cheaply strung together answer from a different group/station to The Office (US). Yet amazingly was some of the same writers, and same station. I am a fan of Amy Poelher, and was the best thing in this by a mile but damn she was given poor co-stars. Aziz Ansari??? Get the Fuck out.

Supernatural, I enjoyed in the first three seasons. Season four through six was ok, but deteriorated over the course. I carried on watching after that point, through habit more than anything. Got upto possibly season 10 but just couldn't take any more. I do get attached to TV programmes (especially after a good handful of seasons), and tend to stick by til the end but that took the piss. I think initially I was hyped with it, due to it being the (not intended I know) replacement for X-Files I so badly wanted. But every character of note has that same 'I'm cool as fuck' character, all have the same bitey comebacks. Every kind of character, be it Human/Supernatural/Demon/God talk with the same language. I kind of 'In' language, where everyone refers to a soul (or similar thing) as "juice" etc. Bore off!

Anyway, enough for now..... I know there will be plenty more though.

• Moderators

I thought the last series of Parks and Rec was the biggest load of shit ever, but up until then it was at worst alright, I thought. It definitely got worse later on, and was I watching it as it came out I probably would have given up on it. But as a show to binge, it stayed decent enough for me to want to see it through (until the last series, at which point I just wanted to finish it for some closure but hated it all).

Still haven't finished Arrested Development season 4. The Gob episode is great, but everything else was so poor compared to seasons 2 and 3. I know people have gone back to it and said it's not that bad, but I'm still not ready yet. 

Re: Person of Interest, (SPOILER) it falls off a cliff when Joss dies. Never could give up on it though, I love Jim Caviezel too much. 

• Paid Members

Wasn't Heroes supposed to be a one series deal anyway, but it went down so well they kept trying to find ways to drag it out? It's probably not in keeping with the real point of the topic but my attention span is so piss poor at times that I tend to stay away from shows like that. I've missed so many of them because I know I'll just end up finding something new to watch and it'll get left by the wayside. I watched the first series of Breaking Bad in an afternoon on Netflix, but then saw the first series of the Pokemon cartoon was on there, so started watching that. I'm a few episodes into the second series of original Star Trek on Netflix, but it's all just gone for a Burton's because something shinier and slightly newer will come along. I'm trying to get Enterprise watched at the moment, usually an episode or two a day before and/or after work.depending on the shift. I'm a couple of episodes into series 2, and all I keep thinking is how sexualised T'Pol is.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, hallicks said:

Still haven't finished Arrested Development season 4. The Gob episode is great, but everything else was so poor compared to seasons 2 and 3. I know people have gone back to it and said it's not that bad, but I'm still not ready yet. 

Re: Person of Interest, (SPOILER) it falls off a cliff when Joss dies. Never could give up on it though, I love Jim Caviezel too much. 

It's definitely the weakest season of the 4, but it's worth finishing. Although it's patchy, it comes together nicely by the end. I enjoyed it a lot more on a second viewing.

• Paid Members

It's rare I make it to the end of a series. It needs to be something special to keep me hooked all the way through.

Heroes - Season 2 was garbage, I thought the beloved Hiro was incredibly annoying and none of the characters appealed. Jacked it in before Season 3.

Lost - Again, Season 2. I expected a show about how people would survive in that very situation and instead got a load of supernatural bollocks. Not for me.

Peaky Blinders - Really liked the first 2 series. Then the third came out and I just couldn't be arsed. I think Tom Hardy getting a bigger role was the nail in the coffin, he's a good actor but I felt he was in fucking everything at that point.

Game of Thrones - Half-way through Season 1, realised it had the worst acting of any major TV show I'd seen in a long time. Fuck that.

New Girl - By Season 5, I hated the Jess character and even good characters like Schmidt had been reduced to nothing. I was watching it purely for Winston and he was hardly ever given anything decent to do.

Better Call Saul - No idea why actually, loved the first season but just haven't felt the need to watch the next two. I finally finished Breaking Bad a few years ago but it took ages to get through Seasons 2 and 3. Still feel it's an incredibly over-hyped show.

On the other end of the scale, Fargo. Put off watching it for ages because I couldn't imagine how the brilliant film would translate to a series. Now I'm of the opinion that it's the best show on TV and actually better than the film. Got through the first season over two days, and have since re-watched all 3 seasons twice.

The Good Wife- Really decent and well written up until the season that it all became about Cary after Will died. Even Alan Cumming being a magnificent bastard couldnt save it. Watched the last episode recently and had the biggest what the actual fuck moment because it was a contrite overblown mess by then.

Game of Thrones- Seriously what is the fucking point, Lannister this, bits of that DRAGONS!, INCEST! and them some bollocks about one ring, er throne  to rule them all. Got as far as the end of Season 4 and basically, fuck the fuck off.

Red Dwarf, Series 1-6 yay! Watched the comeback episodes, then the first rebooted series proper and then. Just. Let. it. Die already. 

Airwolf- Been rewatching this on Forces TV,  Series 1 and 2 were relatively well written with the odd clunker. Series 3 all becomes about how a noticibly pissed Jan Michael Vincent is and wheeling him out like an old wrestler past his prime and good for his spots and then fucking off every episode. Horrendous. Tapped out. I've seen series 4 at some point in the dark and distant past, so not really wanting to revisit, at all, ever if I can help it.

Supernatural- watched season 1 and 2, dipped out because it wasnt my thing anymore, then came back in around the time crowley was introduced only for the whole thing go on to become utter shite and then stepped out for good.

Add me to the Heroes Season 2 and  Lost, midway through season 3 pile of  not watching that pretentious wank again.

• Paid Members

There are lots of shows I gave up on because not enough happened each episode to keep me wanting to watch the next week. This is why I tend to binge watch boxsets more these days. Ones I gave up on include:

Game of Thrones - too many characters for someone who can’t remember people’s names. As soon as I figured out who one person was they’d be killed off and replaced with another two. It’s like a weird hydra creature made into a drama series.

Supernatural - I liked the demon killing storyline for an hour with a very thin series-based plot in the background. I couldn’t be arsed with the whole Angels vs Demons Castiel/Lilleth bollocks. I wanted more of a Quantum Leap vibe - different story every week but with the “he has to get home” / “they need to find out where the bad things are coming from” in the background.

Dexter / American Horror Story / Sons of Anarchy / Fargo / Heroes / Lost / The Flash / Supergirl / Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD / Prison Break, etc. etc. etc. - just got bored.

I made it though all of Tin Star recently but only because I binged the boxset. Not sure I would have lasted if I was watching week to week.

However, having said that, I’m still keeping up with The Walking Dead and my favourite character was blungeoned ages ago so there’s always a flaw in the plan somewhere.

Oh, and I still watch Neighbours. That one keeps me wanting more every day!

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, patiirc said:

Airwolf- Been rewatching this on Forces TV,  Series 1 and 2 were relatively well written with the odd clunker. Series 3 all becomes about how a noticibly pissed Jan Michael Vincent is and wheeling him out like an old wrestler past his prime and good for his spots and then fucking off every episode. Horrendous. Tapped out. I've seen series 4 at some point in the dark and distant past, so not really wanting to revisit, at all, ever if I can help it.

Is Airwolf series 4 the one where it's supposed to be HAwke's brother and they've got a red helicopter? It's like the A-Team series 5 with the late Robert Vaughn as General Stockwell  and that new guy, Frankie. They tried to give it some kind of narrative as an attempt to freshen the show up and it just died on its arse. Arguably both shows had died on their arses by then anyway. KnightRider just about managed to avoid outstaying its welcome if memory serves, but then we got Team Knight Rider, and the remake with Val Kilmer as the car. And the Knight Rider 2000 movie. The one with Jan HAmmer doing the soundtrack and the car's completely different.

Archived