Shows You Abandoned

JNLister

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Wideload90 said:

I made it to halfway through season 4 of breaking bad. I just didn't care about the characters and I genuinely thought I would suddenly get 'it' the longer I watched. Sadly not. Still don't get the hype...

You appear to be about the only other person on the planet who is with me on that. My fundamental problem was that I disliked everyone in it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

Add me to the Heroes season 2 list.

Mad Men is probably the big one for me. I don't mind a slow burn but I found this slow in the extreme. Stopped halfway through season 2 and have never gone back.

Gave up on The Leftovers after season 1 for similar reasons, but I might try it again after all the raves seasons 2 and 3 have had.

I tried my hardest with Hannibal but didn't get on with it at all, and stopped about eight or nine episodes in.

Finally, we've been meaning to get round to season 2 of Rome, but it just hasn't happened yet. It's been about four years since we finished season 1 so I'm not sure it's ever going to happen at this point. And I really liked season 1!

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

Yeah Shameless just became a parody of itself and relied on cheap gags, it lost all the charm it had early on. I've heard the American remake is much better.

Yes in one of the later series we were led to believe an 18 year old fancied Mimi (Tina Malone) who was a proper rough arse, and he got her up the duff. 

Shameless ran for about 7 more series than it should have. I bowed out after the end of series five, I think, the one with the the Irish guy's family being the main characters. I remember seeing a later series and not recognising most of the characters. Was it not shown at 11 pm at this time as well?

• Paid Members

Dexter - Actually got midway through the final season before I just couldn't stomach it any more, but hadn't enjoyed it since John Lithhow single-handedly carried Season 4. By the end I think every single other person in the show knows he's a murderer but nobody seems to care, and I didn't either. Heard the ending was the drizzling shits and catching it on Youtube years later cemented that.

Walking Dead - Gave up just before Negan and Co showed up. The show had always been episodes of nothing followed by one big episode, but that chipped me down eventually. It didn't help that any time you'd get attached to a character they'd either die or do something so stupid you wondered why you liked them in the first place, e.g. when Carol, who in the first season wasn't even brave enough to stand up for herself was suddenly just totally fine with shooting a human child in the head.

Mad Men - Became so self-indulgent and obvious that it was getting hard to stick around. Netflix never adding the second half of the final season helped and I never went looking for it.

Better Call Saul - Caught Season 1 and enjoyed it, but not enough to go back to Season 2. It's the issue with prequals where you know what does or doesn't happen to most the characters because you've already seen Breaking Bad.

Game of Thrones  - Overhyped shit. Too much going on, very poor writing, relies on tits and blood to get by. One of those shows where the fans are so into it they completely ignore whether it's good or not.

Started late on both Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad and tapped out early on both, GOT, I got around 4 episodes into season 3 then stopped watching as I was finding it pretty samey and dull, while Breaking Bad I got 3 episodes into season 2, having bought seasons 1-4 to marathon, as I didn't get why it was so hyped up.

The only other show I gave up on is Supergirl, but given it was after the second episode it doesn't really count for this thread and that was purely down to the fact that the actress who plays the titular role played one of my most hated characters on Glee

• Paid Members

Riddum, I reckon season two of Breaking Bad is probably the worst and drags a lot. If you do get some time, I'd recommend getting through it as it really does get great. 

Harmonic: absolutely get back to The Leftovers. I think it may be one of the best television shows in years. And it being only three seasons helps a lot I think. 

@TildeGuy~! the new series of AHS is bloody excellent, and I've only ever dipped in and out. 

Shows I've given up on:

Community-maybe 4 episodes in. Painfully unfunny. 

Revolution-series and a bit. Good concept (an event wipes out the earths electricity) and it had Giancarlo Esposito but was shit.

Falling Skies- terrible terrible SyFy channel bollox with schlocky CGI

Continuum-see above

Person of Interest- however this is more to do with Channel 5 Fucking this up in schedules and I think I've seen 5 series but can never remember where I'm up to. Plus the series are so long (24 episodes, really?) and I like all the characters including absolute honeys Amy Acker and Sarah Shahi (and Annie Parisse!!!) but I had to give up

Under The Dome-so shit I can't even remember if this is the actual title 

Lost-Lost is shit. I don't care. I'll never watch any of it ever again

That one with the fella from the Shield where they are a superhero family. Kind of like real life Incredibles. Terrible 

The Killing US- again, enjoyed this, and Joel Kinnaman is wicked but I've lost where I was and can't be bothered to get back into it

forgetting loads I'm sure.

• Paid Members

Game of Thrones - Watched all of the first season. Got maybe five or six episodes into the second and called it a day. It wasn't shockingly bad or anything, it just wasn't for me.

Under the Dome - Again, watched all of the first season but stopped right there. Didn't really care about what happened afterwards.

The Walking Dead - See above.

The recent Prison Break season - lol

Community - Got about six episodes in and quit. People really find this funny?

Generally, if I enjoy something in the first couple of seasons then I'll stick with it no matter how bad it gets like Parks and Rec, The Office (US), Nip/Tuck, Lost. As much as I love Oz, it got kinda ridiculous in the last season. Modern Family is going the same way for me now. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is nowhere as good as it was but even in the last few seasons they've produced a handful of episodes that could compete with them in their prime.

Community - Again, really really shite.

• Awards Moderator

I think I'm more likely to stick with something if it's a half-hour show rather than a longer one you need more time commitment for. I got through all six seasons of Community even though the last two or three weren't very good at all, and we've watched all of New Girl despite that not being very good for about five years now. But if you have to commit an hour for one episode, it's much easier for me to just drop watching it. 

(With the odd exception, like Boardwalk Empire, which only started getting good in season 2 - so I'm glad I didn't give up on that one after a fairly dull first season.)

• Moderators

I recently started rewatching community from the beginning - for me the first two series are still really enjoyable. It falls off a cliff in season 3 and never recovers (my wife has never seen it so she still wants to continue but I've told her I won't watch it with her).

Lost I was losing interest in, and then Adebisi died and all my remaining interest with him. That was the last episode of that I watched.

Sons of Anarchy I watched for longer than I should have, but I think I didn't make it past the end of the third series.

I've tried to get into Breaking Bad twice now, making it as far as a few episodes into the second series but I really wasn't very interested.

Mad men I bailed on after the second series. Luther I got bored of even though I acknowledged it was silly nonsense going in. Dexter was garbage - can't believe I watched two whole seasons of that shit.

• Paid Members

Hannibal, I loved it when I started series 1 but started drifting a few episodes from the end. Picked up series 2 and got half way through and never finished it. 

The problem for me was it started to get too far removed from hunting serial killers which was the pin everything else needed to revolve around. 

Sons of Anarchy - I wanted to like it, I really did but, for some reason I could not get into it. Watched to the end of season 2 and that was enough.

Fear The Walking Dead - intially I was excited about this and the synopsis seemed to indicate that it would be different to the Walking Dead with more focus on the start of the outbreak, but that cannot last forever. I struggled to get past the first season as none (or few) of the charcters were likeable.

This one is going against the grain a little, as I stopped watching it but got back into and really enjoyed it.

Bates Motel - Think intially I could not get my head around the fact that the charcters were based in the modern day and given the fact that Season 2 opened with two of the worst episodes possible (in my opinion) I stopped watching for about two years. Due to recent health issues, I have been off sick from work and started watching it again on Amazon Prime and became hooked - It got better and better. Really enjoyed Freedie Highmore's performances and he certainly has Anthony Perkins mannerisms down to a tee. To be honest most of the cast in it were very good. 

Archived