Still working

tiger_rick

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah, you'd have to trim an awful lot of that - cut out Foley, JBL, Sting, Flair, probably Booker T and Ken Shamrock, as those unlikely to come out of retirement, and you've cut most of the costlier talent in the process. Then, obviously, it would come down to trimming it down by country dependent on who would be likely to wrestle. And, as far as I know, Honky Tonk Man doesn't take bumps any more.

It depends what age you decide on as a cut-off point, too; you've got the likes of Bob Holly, Billy Gunn and Gangrel, all out there still working well into their 40s.

Looking at people who have worked "Legends" type shows/matches over the past five years, I've been reminded just how much I loved this show - https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=74735

What a bloody Battle Royal that is!

• Paid Members

Who would go into the celebrity Wrestler Big Brother House with Tammy? Can we throw Missy Hyatt in there as well and make it last man standing rules?

8 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Who would go into the celebrity Wrestler Big Brother House with Tammy? Can we throw Missy Hyatt in there as well and make it last man standing rules?

I've often thought BB should put an ex wrestler or two in.

As a wrestler Big Brother you have to have an interesting mix of bonkers and 'ordinary', major [ish] names and minor-names...

Off the top of my head [for Series 1] I would have: 

Sunny, Missy Hyatt, April Hunter, Jassmin St Clair, Molly Holly, Ivory, Jacqueline
Jamie Dundee, New Jack, Honky Tonk Man, The Sandman, PN News, Bob Holly, Savio Vega

Guest appearance: Iron Sheik 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, bigfoote said:

Funny this topic should come, for whatever reason I found this on wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_surviving_professional_wrestlers#Oldest_wrestlers_still_wrestling

I'm not sure that's complete, either - The Amazing Kung Fu/Saleh Ghaleb claimed to still be wrestling aged 83, back in 2013. No idea if he's even still alive, let alone still wrestling now, but if he is, that puts him above Dory Funk Jr on the current list, and even if he's not, behind everyone bar Mae Young on the all-time list.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

And, yeah, Marty Jannetty's ankles are utterly mangled and held together with tape, but he needs the money.

Exhibit A

It appears that Honky Tonk Man wrestled a match last year, although my main observations is that's the most awkward looking ramp of all time, and what the fuck were they playing at using his second WWF theme?!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ugTm0e6e08

• Paid Members

The problem with a lot of all these "legends" now is they, as shown with Marty J above, can barely move let alone perform anymore.

Those morons who shout you can't wrestle at Roman, Cena and the like should have a look at that footage of Jannetty and have a word with themselves. They Cant Wrestle anymore

3 hours ago, garynysmon said:

Exhibit A

That is a hard watch for sure. 

I know Jannetty's ankles have been screwed for some time. I am surprised that Marty has not approached the WWE (at least I have not seen any evidence of it) to ask for some sort of help. I realise that the WWE is not a charity, but they have helped others before for example, rehab either by paying for them in full or at least contribute. Or is it simply a case that Marty has burned his bridges that many times.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz said:

I know Jannetty's ankles have been screwed for some time. I am surprised that Marty has not approached the WWE (at least I have not seen any evidence of it) to ask for some sort of help.

He has, allegedly. He ranted about them a few years ago that they'll pay millions to put Scott Hall through rehab, and help anyone with their addictions, but they won't give him the help he needs to live a comfortable live. He also did a Kickstarter to try and get the surgery he needed, but I don't know how that went - I know I wouldn't trust him with my money, in any case.

Bafflingly, he still can manage the occasional decent match - his match with Joey Janela earlier this year was actually great fun, though a lot of smoke and mirrors involved, and he did some decent work with CHIKARA in 2012; Marty & 123 Kid vs. the Young Bucks was solid, and the mad old bastard was still doing dives over the top rope even on his jelly ankles.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

It'd cost an absolute bomb to promote though, that. Some mighty names there.

17 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Yeah, you'd have to trim an awful lot of that - cut out Foley, JBL, Sting, Flair, probably Booker T and Ken Shamrock, as those unlikely to come out of retirement, and you've cut most of the costlier talent in the process. Then, obviously, it would come down to trimming it down by country dependent on who would be likely to wrestle. And, as far as I know, Honky Tonk Man doesn't take bumps any more.

It depends what age you decide on as a cut-off point, too; you've got the likes of Bob Holly, Billy Gunn and Gangrel, all out there still working well into their 40s.

Oh, certainly. That list of names was simply a pool from which you could draw. Ultimately, it comes down to your budget, and how much of a risk you're prepared to take. Assuming I was running, say, WCPW, Progress, or ICW, whose budget is a fair bit above the average for UK promotions, I'd say think strategically and get maybe one big American name in, a mid-level guy or two, and a few from Mexico and Japan, as they're usually a bit cheaper to get through working relationships. In fact, if I had the ideal budget and working connections, I'd try and get Sting in as the big name, get Muta in with a couple of vets from WRESTLE-1, so we can work towards a Sting/Muta final, some luchadores, and then some slightly younger vets who can still go relatively regularly, so as to build towards a mid-card feud in later shows. Obviously, the big decision to make is whether or not you think they can draw enough to make you a profit. I remember quite a few promoters back in the day saying "You'll spend a million on Hogan, but he'll make you two million".

I don't think there needs to be an official cut-off as regards age; it is wrestling, after all. Like the rules and special stip match billings, everything's completely arbitrary, and I think a promoter is more likely to base things on profile than actual age. For example, Rey Mysterio is only 42 and can still go, but he's been around for ages, and is clearly past his absolute career peak, so could be booked as a "Master". Conversely, Nathan Jones is 48, and can still move around relatively OK, but he was never worth anything in wrestling terms, so nobody sensible would bother.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Sting's neck is fucked to death now and he's retired so you'd have to find another way I'm afraid.

Didn't know that; not been following WWE the past few years. 

Anyway, it's only one option. Point is, going from that list, and from the names that aren't on it, there are more than enough options to do a Masters tournament that would draw. I would hazard a guess that Flair's recent health problems mean he's probably done permanently now, so out of that list's bigger names that are likely to capture the imagination, it's probably Ken Shamrock or Muta. Maybe Nash. I'd certainly want Waltman in, as he's shown he can put on fun, entertaining and action-filled matches. 

Archived