UFC Fight Night: Werdum vs Tybura - Nov 18

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Saturday 18th November the UFC is back Down Under. The Octagon returns to Sydney with a solid little card. 

Wzisr.jpg

FOX SPORTS 1 MAIN CARD
Fabricio Werdum vs Marcin Tybura 

Bec Rawlings vs Jessy Rose Clark

Tim Means vs Belal Muhammad

Jake Matthews vs Bojan Velickovic 

Dan Kelly vs Elias Theodorou

Alexander Volkanovski vs Shane Young

FOX SPORTS 1 PRELIMS
Ryan Benoit vs Ashkan Mokhtarian 

Will Brooks vs Nik Lentz 

Rashad Coulter vs Tai Tuivasa

Damien Brown vs Frank Camacho

FIGHT PASS PRELIMS
Alex Chambers vs Nadia Kassem

Jenel Lausa vs Eric Shelton

Anthony Hamilton vs Adam Wieczorek

Of course, there's more to be added to this. I'll update this post as the card fills out but I thought I might as well bung the thread up now as it's only a few weeks away. Actually, bit strange that there's still so many slots to fill on this card with it being only about a month out. 

Fj4Hq.jpg

Hunt vs Tybura headlines. Hunt is the go-to guy for these Australia and New Zealand cards, and rightly so. He's a living legend in the fight game and especially in that neck of the woods. One of my favourite fighters ever. He's 43 years old now so probably not going to be around much longer. And with Hunt it's not just age, he's got a ton of miles on the clock. Between MMA, Kickboxing and a couple of Boxing fights he's had a combined 71 professional fights! I emphasise 'professional' because fuck knows how many street fights and off the books fights you can add on to that number. He's been fighting practically all his life. He's had an up and down UFC career but it's been a fun ride.

Tybura is a decent heavyweight. No world beater but he's alright. Coming off 3 wins including one of the most vicious headkick KOs you'll ever see over Viktor Pesta last year. He's coming off a decision victory over Andrei Arlovski in June, which was by far the biggest win of his career to date. A win over Hunt here would see him move into contender fights. I'm hoping Hunt does a job on him though. He stopped Derrick 'Black Beast' Lewis in his last fight in June so hopefully he can keep that rolling here and put another streak together. I'd love to see him get one last crack at the UFC title before hanging the gloves up for good.

CJPj1.jpg

Calderwood vs Rawlings has been a long time coming. I remember reading about these two beefing years ago, way before either of them were in the UFC and before the UFC even had a strawweight division. I recall Rawlings going on Sherdog or the UG and ripping into Calderwood and her boyfriend/coach at the time James Doolan. I just Googled it but can't find it now. Them both being in the house together on TUF 20 didn't help matters and only strengthened their dislike for each other. 

"In The Ultimate Fighter, the first week she was keeping to herself and was fine. But then her character came out a couple of weeks in and I didn't like being around her. You can't get angry if they say things about you or you don't get on. There's no room to add in feelings like that." - Joanne Calderwood

They've actually been booked to fight each other twice before. They were originally supposed to face off at Invicta 4 back in 2013. It got cancelled. Then they were set to fight at UFC Glasgow in July 2015 but Rawlings pulled out injured. Before she pulled out though she was chatting all kinds of shit. 

"I want to eat her soul and maul her face off. People are never the same again after they fight me. I don't go in there to lay on them or go for a decision. I expect to hurt them. I expect a first round finish and for JoJo to be crying on the floor afterwards. All of the Scottish men in the crowd can cry as well." - Bec Rawlings 

OK then. You hear that, David?  

Hopefully the fight actually happens this time. Third time lucky etc. And I really hope Calderwood smashes her. Never liked Rawlings. 

25iQc.jpg

Kelly vs Theodorou could be decent. Kelly is the hometown hero here and Theodorou is a smarmy fucker so he'll be the perfect villain. Kelly will be 40 by the time this fight happens. And he's had a long and gruelling athletic career between Judo and his decade or so in MMA. He got stopped quick by Derek Brunson last time out but was riding a nice 4 fight winning streak before that and scored the biggest win of his career in a points win over Rashad Evans in March. Theodorou is an OK fighter. 13-2 record and was the season winner of TUF Nations in 2014 repping Canada. He looked great in the finale but has kind of stagnated for me since. 

jhuV0.jpg

Brooks vs Lentz could be good as well. Will Brooks has been a flop so far in the UFC. He came in with hype as the Bellator champ, beat Ross Pearson but then dropped two on the bounce to the Oliveiras (no relation), Alex and Charles. And he didn't just lose, he got stopped both times. A knockout and a submission. Disaster for Brooks. To say he badly needs a win here is an understatement. And he's got no easy task in front of him. Nik Lentz is a grinder. Good on the ground, tough on the feet, always sets a high pace, always in your face. Good fight but a tough one for Brooks. If he loses this, fuck knows where he goes next. 

iHmwA.jpg

Alexander 'The Hulk' Volkanovski has his work cut out against the most active name on the roster, the dreaded TBA. Seriously, Volkanovski is someone worth keeping an eye on. Which is why I've still highlighted his fight despite him not even having an opponent. He's an Aussie, 29 years old, 15-1 record and 2-0 in the UFC so far. He was supposed to fight Jeremy Kennedy but Kennedy dropped out with a back injury. Volkanovski is a little tank. Wrestling background, former Rugby player and packs some real venom in his strikes. As is evident by his 9 KO/TKOs out of 15 wins. I like 'The Hulk'. Hope they find him a replacement and he stays on the card. 

dDbUc.jpg

Tuivasa vs Coulter is my ***WAND'S ONE TO WATCH*** for this one. Something about this matchup just caught my attention. I've never even seen this Tai Tuivasa bloke fight but it all sounds good. He's Australian, only 24 years old and he's 5-0 with 5 knockouts. He last fought in October 2016, bashing up James McSweeney. I like him based on that alone. He also has a 5-2 Boxing record. And Rashad Coulter I've only seen fight once but that was the stupidly entertaining brawl against Chase Sherman that got FOTN at UFC 211 in May. Just get the feeling this is going to be one of those wild heavyweight slugfest shootouts. Someone's going night night. 

3h6Ap.jpg

Chambers vs Kassem, Aussie vs Aussie. This isn't anything of any relevance really but I'm shining some light on it because Nadia Kassem might turn out to be a bit of a prospect. She's Australian, only 21 years old, 4-0 with 4 first round knockouts (which isn't typical of a strawweight). Her longest fight so far went 1:27. Her other 3 fights all lasted 26 seconds or less! Obviously she hasn't fought anyone of note yet but still, not a bad start, is it? Chambers is more experienced and has fought better opposition but she's 38 years old now with a 5-3 record and she hasn't fought in 2 years. Feels like they're trying to give Kassem a body here but you never know until they're in there. Octagon jitters are real for some. 

So yeah it's not a particularly loaded card but there's some stuff there to sink your teeth into. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going by Mark Hunt 's rant on facebook I'm guessing he has been pulled, he has such a way with words 😂

@danawhite u peice of shit motherfuker why u fuckers pull me from the fight u getting another lawsuit u fuckwit u can kiss my ass u bald headed prick🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕 u put that chicken shit bitch in get fucked cocksucker

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

Explains the bum bag, I guess.

Anyway, Rogan mentioned this on a recent podcast, Mark Hunt saying his brain is knackered. Bloody awful shame.

Although it won't help the UFC in his lawsuit against them.

Why's that CB? They pulled him because the guy revealed he's having serious issues, slurring his speech and stuttering. On the face of it, they are looking after his health.

If anything, letting him fight after his statements would have been worse. 

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, lambyUK said:

Why's that CB? They pulled him because the guy revealed he's having serious issues, slurring his speech and stuttering. On the face of it, they are looking after his health.

If anything, letting him fight after his statements would have been worse. 

For sure worse, but my point is he's accusing them of huge negligence by knowingly putting him in there with a juiced Brock Lesnar. The fact his brain is mush and they did such a thing can maybe help him. My point is, I don't think it hurts his case the fact he's starting to feel it, considering the lawsuit is about him feeling like his safety and health was comprised much more than it usually is against a 'clean' fighter.

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

For sure worse, but my point is he's accusing them of huge negligence by knowingly putting him in there with a juiced Brock Lesnar. The fact his brain is mush and they did such a thing can maybe help him. My point is, I don't think it hurts his case the fact he's starting to feel it, considering the lawsuit is about him feeling like his safety and health was comprised much more than it usually is against a 'clean' fighter.

Quite possibly. 

I honestly still don't have any sympathy for Hunt in any of this continuing suit. Going back to pre UFC 200, the guy comes flat out and say Lesnar is doping, but he would still knock him out. 

Nobody forced him to sign the contract, of which he received the biggest pay of his career. Everyone knew Lesnar was most likely juicing, but he still signed the papers. He was happy to take the big pay day, and the question is, what if he knocked out Lesnar? For some reason I don't think he would have had an issue. 

• Paid Members

Hunt's attitude the last few years has been really odd. I think prior to his success in the UFC he was seen as a bit of a fun loving laid back New Zealander who loved to scrap. In the cage he still seems that way but the outbursts outside the cage and on social media always seem to come from a different bloke.

• Paid Members
On 9 October 2017 at 11:04 PM, OzExile said:

Think tickets go on sale tomorrow. Still haven't decided whether to bother going. Its losing Mark Hunt away from being as attractive as any local promotion. 

You just had to jinx it, didn't you? 

And what a turnaround with Werdum, eh? It wasn't long ago he was on Dana's shitlist for not accepting short notice fights. Now within a matter of days he's accepted a last minute opponent switch and agreed to fly halfway across the globe and step in on this show. In hindsight, Werdum running through Walt Harris so quickly and coming out unscathed was a godsend for them. I don't know what they'd have done here if Werdum was banged up. 

Archived