The end of WCPW

martinQblank

• Paid Members

A bit of WRESTLING DRAMA on Twitter, as another company called "DEFY Wrestling" have been having a go at WhatCulture for (sort of) stealing their name and whatnot, and saying they reached out to them and advised them but got no response. Some of their fans piling in and saying that WhatCulture are just trying to steal fans from them and so on - which seems unlikely, as I've never even heard of them. Chances are it's an honest mistake, but it's being construed as evil big business WhatCulture purposefully targeting the little guy.

I'm just amazed that two companies could come with such a shit name but yeah, that sounds like WhatCulture were just a tad ignorant and didn't do a little research before naming themselves. If you're going to steal a name you steal one with more value.

• Paid Members
On 02/10/2017 at 6:47 PM, The King Of Swing said:

#SHITWRESTLINGPROMOTIONNAMEFORWANKERS

Very well done.

Wrestling With Wregret is good. Steve & Larson's Going In Raw isn't too bad either, although nowadays it tends to just be something I stick on to fall asleep to. I binge their WSteveW & Fun Wrestling/WGPW on the odd weekend as well.

On 10/1/2017 at 9:40 AM, sick love song said:

I couldn't  get on with WCPW , I tried because I understood the benefits it could have for Brit wrestling, but I couldn't  get over the fact the guys from WC were all over it like they were living out their "no mercy 64" fantasies with real people.

Isn't that what wrestling promotion is though? People don't get into for the money, because there is rarely any of that around, I don't think many do it because they are altruistic, so really the only reason to set up a fed of your own, is to be a fantasy booker. Difference here is they had the money and contacts to quickly get in the dream names, rather than having to build up for a few years of local talent first.

1 hour ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Isn't that what wrestling promotion is though? People don't get into for the money, because there is rarely any of that around, I don't think many do it because they are altruistic, so really the only reason to set up a fed of your own, is to be a fantasy booker. Difference here is they had the money and contacts to quickly get in the dream names, rather than having to build up for a few years of local talent first.

Yeah that's a fair point ,maybe it's the fact that they put themselves all over the show that just made it more grating to watch

13 hours ago, sick love song said:

Yeah that's a fair point ,maybe it's the fact that they put themselves all over the show that just made it more grating to watch

That stopped pretty quickly as well to be honest. Fair enough they had Blampied as the GM right until he left but that was fairly unintrusive. 

The first two sets of tapings were awful for it though and I think people just fucked it off after that. Trying to build around Alberto probably didn't help either.

Who's idea was it to put King Ross on commentary for that note? He was excruciating. I think that was one of the main downpoints at first. Then of course, the personalities all over the show. They even put themselves as the VIP Meet & Greet and you didn't meet any wrestlers with it at first. Which is ridiculous. If I pay to watch wrestling, I'd want to meet wrestlers, you know? I know it's their show, but the ego of it all is cringe inducing.

• Paid Members

I think people massively underestimate how many people watched WCPW for those "personalities". Twitter and their Facebook group were full of people devastated they were leaving. The execution was bad, but the plan if anything was to use the YouTube stars to get the promotion over, rather than the other way around.

TBH, I've kind of mentally disassociated WCPW to the rest of the UK scene, purely because of how YouTube personality centric it came across when I watched it. I think it pulls a different crowd to a certain degree as compared to something like Progress, ICW or Rev-Pro- I don't know that for sure, though, watched very little WCPW, never been to any of their shows.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, AVM said:

TBH, I've kind of mentally disassociated WCPW to the rest of the UK scene, purely because of how YouTube personality centric it came across when I watched it. I think it pulls a different crowd to a certain degree as compared to something like Progress, ICW or Rev-Pro- I don't know that for sure, though, watched very little WCPW, never been to any of their shows.

That's also how I view Lucha Britannia, to an extent - whilst they draw wrestling fans, they're mainly appealing to the alt scene, hence the more "Red Curtain" feel to it.

On 10/7/2017 at 10:15 AM, Jon-Carr_92 said:

Who's idea was it to put King Ross on commentary for that note? He was excruciating. I think that was one of the main downpoints at first.

They admitted the commentary was a mistake, they didn't have the budget to hire a 'proper' commentator and thought they could just 'give it a go'. They quickly realised their mistake and changed it very quickly.

On 10/7/2017 at 3:33 PM, AVM said:

They do attract quite a different crowd, more a WWE crowd than a Brit-Wres crowd, because most of their viewers came from their WWE focused Youtube channel.

Not a bad thing really, introducing the UK talent to a new crowd has probably done wonders for some of the local scenes - people like Ligero and Kirby are now familiar to hundreds of wrestling fans who might hopefully now visit some different UK shows too.

Archived