Liev Schreiber Appreciation Station

PowerButchi

• Moderators

I saw the sequel to Goon the other day, and it's nearly as great as the first. And it's not just because Seann William Scott learns how to act in this franchise, it's that Liev is so fucking ace. Not just because he was married to a Welsh Speaker either. I put his performance in this scene against True Romance's Hopper Scene.

Every nuance is perfect. The little grin which he holds back when Glatt talks about doing anything for his team, to the serious look when he's trying to tell the upstart no-one will care. Amazing.

• Paid Members

Liev Schreiber is great, been on my radar since Scream. 

I strongly recommend tracking down a mental documentary where he decides to give a kid from a war torn middle eastern country a hand by giving him a job on a film he's making, the kid's dream was to be in the movie biz but he's a proper ungrateful bastard and the whole thing is an intense emotional roller coaster. The Rock pops up in it too, further helping the undeserving twat on his quest. I think it was on one of the BBC channels a good few years ago.

• Paid Members

Let's face it. He's a cracking bit of cock too.

You often overlook his chops because of how he underplays a lot of his roles. Spotlight being a masterful display by him, so much on the D/L that it was the 2nd viewing that made me appreciate him and his influence on the film.

• Paid Members

I know you're not a superhero movies fan, Butch, but it's a testament to how good Schreiber is that he was probably the only good element in the utter shit-show that was Wolverine: Origins, playing a role that I don't think many people could ever have envisioned him in. He doesn't normally come across as the type of actor who could play feral, savagely violent, or hard-man-type menacing, but he did all of that as Sabretooth. It's probably that movie that made me realise how versatile he actually is.

• Paid Members

He was good in the Scream trilogy. He almost falls into "that guy from that thing" territory because of how subtle his performances are in the stuff he's in.

Archived