UFC Fight Night: Machida vs Brunson - Oct 28

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 hours ago, David said:

I guess my theory would only really apply to someone that Maia would stop from getting to the title picture, which Colby hopefully won't.

If he beats Maia he'd surely be in the conversation with Woodley having seen off Lawler, Wonderboy (twice) and Maia himself.

Dos Anjos would most likely jump ahead if he beats Lawler. 

• Paid Members

Colby Covington is a fantastic name for a Wacky Race character. His parents are to be commended.

Normally, I'd be fairly confident Maia would do what Maia's been doing (for the most part), but the Till fight has put me right off writing off a younger unknown prospect v a top ranked vet. Colby Covington (still great) has some proper wrestling credentials too, so will be interesting to see how both cope with that.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Colby Covington is a fantastic name for a Wacky Race character. His parents are to be commended.

To me it sounds like the main character in a Dynasty/Dallas spoof.

Nice to check in here and see that we've got a tidy little Fight Night card coming up. I'm hoping Maia chokes out Covington inside a round, he seems like a mid-level guy with a chip on his shoulder, nothing really likeable about him. Just feels like the universe would be right if he has these illusions of grandeur, steps up in competition and gets utterly demolished.

I really like Machida, but I think the time off and the ageing process are going to slow his trademark reflexes and counter ability, and Brunson's going to catch him early with a bomb. Would love to be wrong though.

Can't go wrong with a Jim Miller fight! Trinaldo is good value as well.

I feel like Lineker vs. Vera will be madness. It's the fight I'll be keeping the closest eye on outside the main event.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Lineker vs Vera is the fight I'm most excited about easy. John Lineker is just so ridiculously fun to watch I give him a pass on the repeated weight missing. I don't think I've ever seen a bad John Lineker fight. He's one of those types of fighters who is so aggressive and dangerous that whatever your style is, you're going to be forced to fight or you'll get steamrolled. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Paid Members

I think Machida needs to think about his future. He's hardly losing to bums, but he's 39 and it's becoming clear his unique skill set just isn't up to what the very best in the division have. He'll probably still win against lower competition, but his time as a top fighter is probably done.

I always hate seeing Maia lose. As discussed, Convington having such good wrestling made this fight interesting and it was just too good for Maia. I did think Maia could manage it, but I clearly underrated Covington.

• Paid Members

I enjoyed the show until the downer of Maia and Machida losing at the end :( 

Thought Machida was looking surprisingly sharp early on in the fight. But Brunson just got him. Brunson is better than he's given credit for too so I think that plays a factor. But yeah, Machida getting done in a round was about the worst way for him to return possible. 

And was I hearing things or did Gooden call Machida 'Ma-cheater' a couple of times? Yeah USADA popped him but he served his suspension and paid his debt to society, for fuck's sake! Leave him alone Gooden you big bully. 

• Paid Members

Fucking hell, ive only just caught up but Covington has gone full heel hasn't he. That promo was like Chael Sonnen minus the wit and charm, subtle it was not. The guy does come off as a bit of a prick but there's no denying it's working for him. From an in cage perspective i wasn't that impressed, i thought he was soundly being out struck in round 1 by Maia, then in rounds 2 & 3 he took over because Maia had blown his load. Maia is woeful to watch once his gas has gone. I don't see Covington having any success against Woodley.

I wouldn't be disappointed to see Machida, Maia and Jim Miller hang them up after those performances. I think Machida could still pick up a few nice showcase type fights but his days as a top fighter are over.

Two highlights for me other than that were Thiago Santos and Antonio Carlos Junior who are both sleepers at 185, especially Santos. He's huge at the weight and used his striking perfectly to set up a takedown against Marshman, on the ground he's different gravy, he's coming into his own.

Archived