UFC Fight Night: Cerrone vs Till - Oct 21

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Saturday 21st October in Gdansk, Poland. 

TcpXu.jpg

FIGHT PASS MAIN CARD
Donald Cerrone vs Darren Till

Karolina Kowalkiewicz vs Jodie Esquibel 

Jan Blachowicz vs Devin Clark 

Jonathan Wilson vs Oskar Piechota 

FIGHT PASS PRELIMS
Marcin Held vs Nasrat Haqparast

Damian Stasiak vs Brian Kelleher 

Sam Alvey vs Ramazan Emeev 

Artem Lobov vs Andre Fili

Warlley Alves vs Salim Touahri

Lina Lansberg vs Aspen Ladd

Felipe Arantes vs Josh Emmett 

As is often the case, the bout order is probably wrong. I'll reshuffle it as and when etc. This card is actually better than I thought. Couple of fights have been added since I last checked the card and it's filling up nicely. 

lpneA.jpg

Cowboy vs Till then. This is a big step up for Darren Till to say the least. Up until now he's been looked at as a prospect. He's 24 years old, fights out of Liverpool and he's undefeated at 15-0-1 with 11 finishes. But his toughest opponents so far have been Bojan Velickovic and Nicolas Dalby. And he went to decisions with both, drawing with Dalby. To go from that to fighting Donald Cerrone in a 5 round main event is quite a jump. It'll be interesting to see how he handles it. To this point he's seemed to lack nothing in confidence, even to the point of coming off cocky at times. But maybe he'll rise to the occasion. 

Speaking of cocky, Cerrone is doing his usual 'I've never heard of him' schtick. 

"Absolutely nothing. No. Never seen his fights. I don't know where he's from. I'm not bagging the dude, just fuck, I don't know anybody. I said yes before I even had an opponent. That was the UFC's job to find me an opponent."

"My grandma sent me a thing this morning all mad. 'He called you a cunt,' I said, no grandma, that's just how they speak over there." - Donald Cerrone

:laugh: 

Regardless, Cerrone is always exciting once the cage door closes. He's coming off a points loss in a fantastic fight with Robbie Lawler in July. And he was stopped by Jorge Masvidal before that. He's gone 0-2 so far this year. But you look at the difference in experience and the level of opposition these two have faced and it's pretty staggering. 

Till's talking a good game though. 

"Why should he know me? It's not disrespectful. He's going to know me when I knock him out. That's just irrelevant, why should he know me? It doesn't matter."

"He's not going to be able to live with me, mate. I've given a few interviews and I keep saying; I'm 210lbs and I'm built like a gorilla. He's a lightweight. He's a frail, old man. He's been on a bender for seven days. What's he coming in to do? I'm going to pick him up and throw him out the cage. That's what I'm going to do." - Darren Till

It's an intriguing one. And I expect a good fight whatever happens. 

YjGcg.jpg

Karolina Kowalkiewicz vs Jodie Esquibel is the co-main. Hopefully Kowalkiewicz can get back on track here. She's clearly a talented fighter. She went 10-0 before losing her last 2 fights but they were losses to Joanna Jedrzejczyk and Claudia Gadelha. The consensus #1 and #2 strawweights on the planet. She gave Jedrzejczyk a good fight, even dropping her at one point. And she beat Rose Namajunas who is the current next title contender. She got smoked by Gadelha in June though. Choked out in 3 minutes. She needs to rebound here. Esquibel should be a good rebound fight. She's OK from what I recall of the bits I've seen. 6-2 record, some pro boxing experience, trains at Jackson's in Albuquerque. She's alright. Nothing that should trouble Kowalkiewicz though.

It sounds really harsh but the only reason I even really remember who Esquibel is is because she's Keith Jardine's missus. 

EaZAf.jpg

Jan Blachowicz vs Devin Clark could be decent, I guess. Blachowicz's fights don't really do much for me usually. He's coming off back-to-back losses to Alexander Gustafsson and Patrick Cummins. And it's not like he's a particularly exciting fighter. He needs a W here. Devin Clark same kind of thing. He's alright, 9-1 record, he's won his last 2 but I can't remember anything remarkable about any of his fights. 

4plJn.jpg

I'm giving Jimi Manuwa vs Przemyslaw Mysiala the ***WAND'S ONE TO WATCH*** honours. Might be one of those 'blink and you'll miss it' type fights. We know Manuwa's style. He can definitely crack. He's a heavy hitter but he's also hittable. He's coming off getting KO'd in seconds by Volkan Oezdemir at UFC 214 in July, so he'll want to make a statement here. He's welcoming Poland's own Mysiala to the Octagon. Mysiala is 22-9 with only 2 of his 31 fights going to the judges. Hasn't beat anyone you'd really know (he lost to King Mo in 2013), and at 5'11" he's a bit on the short side for 205 but we'll see how it plays out. 

BxA8q.jpg

Marcin Held vs Teemu Packalen could be good. Marcin Held's had a tough old go of it in the UFC. He came in with a 22-4 record and I was looking forward to seeing how he'd do on the big stage after enjoying a lot of his fights in Bellator. He's gone 0-3. Dropped a couple of decisions to Diego Sanchez and Joe Lauzon, then got knocked out by Damir Hadzovic in June. You've got to assume this is a must win for him. His back is against the wall for this one. Packalen I remember mostly for being on the shitty end of a highlight reel KO from Marc Diakiese on the London show in March. 

T5XaI.jpg

Artem Lobov vs Andre Fili will probably be an entertaining scrap. Lobov's got those heavy hands. He's also got a crappy 13-13-1-1 MMA record that gets overlooked a lot, probably because he's a banger and he's Conor McGregor's mate. Regardless, he's coming off a decision loss to Cub Swanson. It was seen as a mismatch going in but fair play to Artem, he didn't embarrass himself at all. 

I hope he wins this fight. I've never been keen on Andre 'Touchy' Fili. The nickname, him being from Team Alpha Male, the silly outfits which scream 'Look at me being all zany and wacky. I'm mad, me'. Try-hard with a vengeance. I hope Artem knocks the nail varnish off him. 

sNVmt.jpg

Trevor Smith vs Ramazan Emeev might be a sleeper one to watch, actually. Trevor 'Hot Sauce' Smith (what is with these fuck awful nicknames?) isn't any world beater but he's a hard nosed gritty fighter.

It's this Emeev bloke I'm interested in though. He's Russian (so you know he's probably granite), 30 years old, 15-3 record and was the M-1 middleweight champion. He also has stoppage wins over ex-UFC fighters Maiquel Falcao (remember that lunatic?), Luigi Fioravanti, Mario Miranda and former Bellator and current ACB fighter Vyacheslav Vasilevsky. He's won 12 of his last 13 fights and he just looks like he wouldn't think twice about doing the life stretch if you gave him a reason.

0EQLh.jpg

Jim Wallhead vs Warlley Alves feel like a 'loser leaves town' deal. 'Judo' Jim has gone 0-2 since signing with the UFC. He's only 33 but it feels like he's been around forever. He's a good fighter but it just hasn't clicked for him in the UFC so far. Maybe he got to the UFC too late. If he'd come in around 2009 with his Team Rough House teammates Dan Hardy and Paul Daley came in, maybe it'd have been different. But with them all at 170 at the time I don't know if it would've worked out. Alves is also coming off 2 losses on the bounce. He was 10-0 before that though and at 26 he's probably got time on his side. 

Pretty solid looking card, I reckon.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I've got very little interest in Haye vs Manuwa. I get why they're all jumping on the bandwagon after Mayweather vs McGregor but Haye vs Manuwa wouldn't be a fraction of the event MayMac was, obviously. 

Unlikely as it is though, I wouldn't mind seeing Tony Bellew try to back up his claims that he could take down Bisping and submit him in an MMA fight. And I'd like even more to see the moment when he realises what a donut he is for thinking that. The build up would probably be great, Bisping and Bellew together couldn't fail to deliver in the build up. But again, like Floyd vs Conor, it's a mismatch either way. Bellew gets crushed in the Octagon, Bisping gets caned in the ring. 

• Paid Members

There's an interview I posted in the 217 thread with Bisping and they're on about Mayweather vs McGregor in that. Granted it's a Hip Hop station, they weren't claiming to be MMA or Boxing experts. But one of them goes something like 'We saw with McGregor, the MMA guys gas after a few rounds' and Bisping was straight in, rightly, rubbishing that with a 'Hey, that's him. Don't tar us all with that brush. I never gas in fights'. There does seem to be a feeling from some Boxing people that every MMA guy would look like McGregor in there. Obviously, that's stupid. They'd all most certainly lose handily yeah, but it doesn't mean they'd all fade conditioning-wise or use the same tactics or whatever. You wouldn't say any boxer who came into MMA would fight like James Toney either. Its 2 different games and the results would likely always be the same - boxer wins in a boxing match, MMA fighter wins in MMA - bar the odd blip like Mercer vs Sylvia. But it doesn't mean the fights would all play out the same. We've  really only seen a handful of Boxing vs MMA fights and you can't base much on them, the results don't really mean much. They're their own little separate freakshow events. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

Honestly, there's guys who I think would do better in a boxing match than Conor did. The likes of either Diaz brother for starters. 

Yeah, those two are big into their boxing training, so it makes sense that they'd probably have better training and instincts for boxing. Perhaps GSP? He did train with Freddie Roach. And, I guess, Brad Pickett might have done OK at some point - didn't he come to MMA from boxing?

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Yeah, those two are big into their boxing training, so it makes sense that they'd probably have better training and instincts for boxing. Perhaps GSP? He did train with Freddie Roach. And, I guess, Brad Pickett might have done OK at some point - didn't he come to MMA from boxing?

There's a ton of MMA fighters who came into the sport from straight boxing backgrounds, and there's several MMA fighters/kickboxers who have moved into boxing and had decent success.

• Paid Members

This is a good little card.

Przemyslaw Mysiala?

who.png.a4499e3825039714465985b44aa453e2.png

Feels a bit like there's a lot for Manuwa to lose here and not a lot to gain. Best case scenario he looks great against an unknown. On the flip side, imagine he gets caught and finished ... where would that leave him!?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

This is live on the BT Sport/ESPN channel (ch. 426 on Sky) at 8pm Saturday night, by the way. 

Thought we weren't getting it live for a minute because I could only find the Sunday night showing on BT Sport 3 at first. 

Archived