Minor News & Random Shit

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

On a bit of a stats tip today, but if Poirier fought Gaethje and won, would he have won the most trilogies in MMA?

Ah man, no clue. I’m terrible at these 🤣 I’m thinking there must be someone who’s won more though. Assuming we’re only counting actual trilogies where there’s been 3 fights completed. That means you can’t count Poirier coming out on top in his couple of 2 fight series against Max Holloway (2-0) and Eddie Alvarez (1-0-0-1). As it stands now he’s technically only won one trilogy (McGregor), if he went 2-1 over Gaethje that would be the second. Surely there’s someone who’s won 3 trilogies? But maybe not. I’m drawing a blank.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Ah man, no clue. I’m terrible at these 🤣 I’m thinking there must be someone who’s won more though. Assuming we’re only counting actual trilogies where there’s been 3 fights completed. That means you can’t count Poirier coming out on top in his couple of 2 fight series against Max Holloway (2-0) and Eddie Alvarez (1-0-0-1). As it stands now he’s technically only won one trilogy (McGregor), if he went 2-1 over Gaethje that would be the second. Surely there’s someone who’s won 3 trilogies? But maybe not. I’m drawing a blank.

See, I wasn't counting the matches being completed, just the rivalry. I suppose it depends on the metric.

Maybe "who's won the most series" would be more accurate.

• Paid Members

Well right off the top of my head I’m thinking Chuck Liddell won three. He beat Tito twice (we don’t count the third fight but even if we do it’s 2-1 Chuck), Couture twice and Babalu twice. There’s probably a bunch who’ve won 3 series.

Poirier would have to be up there though yeah if he went 2-1 over Gaethje. That would be 2 wins over Gaethje, Holloway and McGregor. I still wouldn’t count Alvarez though as he only beat him once. Technically he came out on top over the course of two fights but the No Contest in the first fight disqualifies it surely. 

• Paid Members

Self quoting like a twat here but the timing of this…

2 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Also saw this…

IMG-9812.jpg

I’m really hoping it’s Figgy. Been wanting to see that for a while. It’s a logical fight given the current Bantamweight title picture landscape and the winner could put themselves right in line for the whoever the champ is after Merab vs Umar. As for the date and location, looking at the rest of the year, two cards stand out as likely choices but I can see Yan vs Figgy headlining either the Macau card on November 23rd or the Tampa card on December 14th. I think it might be Macau myself. Yan’s actually got some Chinese heritage as well so makes sense.

Within like an hour (hopefully it’s legit)…

• Paid Members

It’s got to, hasn’t it? Seemed obvious that’s the fight the UFC wanted when they had the cameras ready on Umar straight after Merab won the title. And the only other guy who had a strongish case for the shot at Merab was Figgy. I’m well happy with this if it’s true. Merab vs Umar, Yan vs Figgy, winners face off around April/May time.