Minor News & Random Shit

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I see what you're saying but thats basing everything on fighters cutting down to their optimal weight in terms of frame. I doesnt have to be as black and white as that. Kelvin Gastelum is a great example, even in 2018 hes choosing to fight in a division where hes clearly smaller than the opposition but hes doing very for himself. Even Robert Whitaker used to be and probably could get down 170lb, he'd probably love a division in the middle though. Some guys probably operate better when they are the smaller man in the fight.

Edited by Egg Shen

Aye, fair point.

Gaethje is the most recent example of a fighter who chooses not to cut weight. He could fight at Featherweight if he wanted to. With Gastelum though, I think he might benefit from the formation of a 177lbs division. He struggled to make the welterweight limit and was ordered by Dana to move to the middleweight division. While he's certainly a gifted middleweight, he might be an even stronger force in a 177lbs division.

Alves now fights at 155, so I would assume he was, who knows, I've often thought were ATT Florida is situated, it's probably easier to get steroids there, not saying anyone who hasn't been caught is on anything.

Hendricks is big but he can make 170, he just needs a strict diet (he owned a steak house, that went out of business, so I don't think he's dieting right, he's failed to make 185 before like Gasteleum and both of them are stocky but maybe 5ft8-10 at most.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Hmmmm, don't know what to think of that. I love me some Brad Pickett, enjoy his style, but at 39 with a lot of mileage, it's the sort of thing a fan could be uncomfortable watching, especially if it goes badly.

• Paid Members

I don't like it. Obviously it's up to him, everyone's got bills to pay so ultimately fuck what we think. But I wish he wasn't coming back. He was great to watch, had some really good fights and even Dana himself said publicly a few times that Pickett was one of his favourite fighters to watch. You don't usually see him heap praise on an undercard fighter like that. Pickett was kind of like MMA's Mickey Ward. Just an all heart, balls out way of fighting. He had such a fun fan friendly style. But it was also a very rough style where unfortunately he took a lot of knocks. Like you say Carbomb, he's closing in on 40 now. In life that's not old, in fighting it is. Especially in the lighter weight classes, especially after a fairly long career, and especially if you've got that brawler style that relies on you being able to take a few digs to land one good one back. He got KO'd in his last fight, in a fight he was doing pretty well in IIRC, it just felt like the right time to stop. Sadly fighters seem to he the last ones to realise when it's time to stop. Either that or they know deep down but refuse to accept it. We've seen it with Rashad Evans, BJ Penn, we're seeing it now with the Chuck Liddell comeback talks. Pickett is just another in a long line of guys who have struggled to walk away. For Pickett as well, he wouldn't have made anywhere near the kind of money the other names I've mentioned there have. So that's probably a big part of his motivation. It does have the feel of something that isn't going to go well though. Hope I'm wrong and he gets a nice run out of this but it rarely goes that way. 

• Paid Members

The only thing about this that could be positive is that he's not signing with Bellator or again with the UFC - it's ACB, so the standard of competition is likely to be lower, and he may therefore do better as a big fish in a small pond, perhaps enduring less punishment on the way.

ACB have a shit lot of talent, maybe not elite but decent level. Bellator has more elite guys and big names but ACB has a stronger bottom & mid tier guys, they pick up a lot of former UFC guys, they just put on nearly weekly shows that they don't get the same press as they don't stack their cards.

Edited by the_mole

• Paid Members

Not sure how i feel about Pickett returning. Going out in the UFC and laying down your gloves is pretty much the best kind of send off you can get if you are after some fan adulation. Pickett even seemed to have post-fight life sorted in the fight game, he runs his own promotion and does a podcast, guess it just wasn't enough.

Ive talked about ACB a few times on the forum, it's an odd promotion. They pump out the shows and put on really strong cards but there seems to be little direction, shows are in different countries from show to show, fights almost seem picked at random rather than from structured divisions and promotion seems to be little else than them sticking a few tweets up and boasting that they focus on fights rather than any type of show element which in my opinion isn't a good thing in this day and age. I'm pretty sure i read they pay really well though, so i expect Pickett is picking up a fair few quid for his efforts. Frank Mir is fighting for the promotion soon as well and you know he can't be coming cheap. They held a show in Nottingham recently, im not sure how the attendance looked on the night but it created little buzz online despite being a real good card. It's just a weird little setup.

Maybe the promotion are a big deal in Russia? It doesn't seem like a KSW type situation though. KSW are massive in Poland and they hold 90% of their shows in their homeland, ACB just go all over the shop.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah, last time out though the UK feed on commentary was dubbed over the top of the Russian feed so you could hear two sets of voices, absolute shit show.

that said, this Brad Pickett returns promo is pretty good:

Edited by Egg Shen

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

So that's three of my favourite fighters ever fighting in Bellator the next few months. Cro Cop, Manhoef and Wanderlei Silva. It's like a time warp back to 10 years ago. Where's my Affliction shirt? 

Hang on, didn't Manhoef retire??

Edited by wandshogun09