UFC 217: Bisping vs St Pierre

wandshogun09

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'd be more on Bisping's case for being a dick if I thought any of this was real. But he's literally just selling the fight. I think it's pretty much all manufactured. Bisping even said something on his podcast last week that the UFC Countdown crew (I think it was them) asked him to give them something to work with because GSP wasn't. Now, of course that's shite. I doubt the UFC camera crew are going about slagging GSP off willy nilly like that. But I do think Bisping is consciously trying to force something in all these interactions in the hope something sticks and they get their viral TMZ moments and sell more PPVs off the back of it. I think ColinBollocks said before as well, Bisping knows this is the big payday he's been waiting for. And it could realistically be his last payday from fighting as well. He's going to squeeze every last bit of juice out of it. 

I have no doubt they'll be hugging and full of respect post-fight. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, David said:

It's the manufactured feuds that I don't really like. Comes off terrible on the television, making it look like WWE nonsense.

And takes some of the heat off the 'real'  feuds in the process.

3 hours ago, David said:

It's the manufactured feuds that I don't really like. Comes off terrible on the television, making it look like WWE nonsense.

Yeah, all of Bisping's efforts have dampened me on the fight I think. The story was perfect to sell but Bisping has got it all wrong imo. 

While I think that Bisping knows what he is doing - selling the fight - I also think this is the way he naturally approaches fights. He's never been one to be buddy buddy with his opponent in the build-up. I can't think of any opponent he was particularly friendly with before fight night. It's part of the game for him. 

The "manufactured feuds" thing is a potential issue for MMA. I can agree there. 

• Paid Members

I agree with David about the whole "manufactured feuds" thing. It's not as necessary to MMA as it is to pro-wrestling. Sure, it's necessary to promote fights, and in a few cases there will be genuine beef between the fighters, but there's already the competition element, so there's already a motivation there; it's what sports fans tune in for. 

Besides, a big part of the appeal of MMA is that we know not every fight is a grudge match. I think it makes the real feuds stand out more and makes them more interesting, because there's the extra piquancy of genuine emotion there, and we think it will make for a fight fought with more passion and vitriol. I guess it's the essence of entertainment: if every instalment is the same, it loses meaning.

• Paid Members

Remember when Bisping was slating Jorge Rivera for manufacturing beef? How he said he'd never met Rivera & never had a cross word? I know the game's changed a lot since then & that was a while ago but it still seems hypocritical to me.

If you think back over MMA's past, you remember the real feuds more than anything. The Ken Shamrock/Tito Ortiz carry-on, where Ken kicked the chair and was making all manner of ridiculous threats to Tito, the Chuck/Tito feud where former "friends" and training partners turned on each other and so on.

In an attempt to "sell" every fight these guys don't realise that they're basically creating a situation where it'll be next to impossible to sell anything in the future. If the fans see every main event fight being promoted as a "feud" with TMZ coverage and fighters making stupid comments it won't be long before it isn't anything special any more.

Sometimes it's okay to just have a fucking fight. In Bisping and GSP we have a lot of intrigue already without some fake feud being manufactured. 

• Paid Members

This fight still feels incredibly strange to me. I don't quite know how to frame how I feel about it either. I've wanted GSP to come back for quite a while and have always felt there are so many interestig options for him, and this was never one of them in my mind.

I'm certainly intrigued by how it plays out, though I also don't particularly want to see either lose at this stage of their career. I think it speaks volumes that, aside from the initial press conference back in March (I think it was?) I've watched none of the other promotional pieces. I feel they would only lessen my interest in this fight. 

• Paid Members

This fight still feels incredibly strange to me. I don't quite know how to frame how I feel about it either. I've wanted GSP to come back for quite a while and have always felt there are so many interestig options for him, and this was never one of them in my mind.

I'm certainly intrigued by how it plays out, though I also don't particularly want to see either lose at this stage of their career. I think it speaks volumes that, aside from the initial press conference back in March (I think it was?) I've watched none of the other promotional pieces. I feel they would only lessen my interest in this fight. 

• Paid Members

Meh, I'm all for a bit of drama and, quite clearly, so is your average pant sniffer.

GSP has always made a point of pointing out, after the fact, his beef with his great enemy was all "'ype". Despite him doing this, people still bought his shows.

IMO, George is up there with anyone not named Conor McGregor, in terms of selling his fights.

I'm all about those pants.

Archived