UFC 217: Bisping vs St Pierre

wandshogun09

Something else which I've seen raised by a few US-based fans is the price of UFC PPV's. You're talking $60 for a show, which isn't chump change really, is it? Especially with the number of shows these days.

With streaming becoming more and more popular as well, it's a dying industry in my opinion. I don't think it'll be long before we see the majority of UFC shows on Fight Pass with select huge events on PPV. It's becoming obvious that the PPV model isn't quite what it once was on a steady basis anyway.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not dying industry judging by the massive PPV sales in the last few years but events have to seem special, see Ronda, Conor, Jones-Cormier etc but I do think they need to cut down on those PPVS once the Fox deal is up.

They don't need to be set dates every year, just don't clash with other major sporting events and try and have it seem like its a must see event. 

People would rather pay and be guaranteed a good picture, especially watching with friends rather than fuckin about with streams that freeze and skip.

Say they sign with Fox give up X amount of PPVS for a certain price and then they don't need to worry about the budget on certain shows as it would be written on the contract.

• Paid Members

Promoting the PPV 'wolf tickets' bollocks or not, hearing GSP say "Fuck off, man" to Bisping has been one of my favourite things in MMA all year. 

It's wonderful. It's like Ned Flanders calling someone a cunt. I don't know how Bisping didn't crack up. 

14 hours ago, the_mole said:

Its not dying industry judging by the massive PPV sales in the last few years but events have to seem special, see Ronda, Conor, Jones-Cormier etc but I do think they need to cut down on those PPVS once the Fox deal is up.

They don't need to be set dates every year, just don't clash with other major sporting events and try and have it seem like its a must see event. 

People would rather pay and be guaranteed a good picture, especially watching with friends rather than fuckin about with streams that freeze and skip.

Say they sign with Fox give up X amount of PPVS for a certain price and then they don't need to worry about the budget on certain shows as it would be written on the contract.

Compared to four or five years ago, or even longer, it is a dying industry. The change in technology is responsible, with fewer and fewer people now relying on a set-top box and television for their content.

For example, I've not actually owned a set-top box (Virgin, Sky etc) for a few years now. All of my TV is streamed through AppleTV, and I get all of my sports from a highly reliable IPTV provider, which allows me to access British, US, Canadian and other sports channels all in superb HD quality, with no freezing, no skipping.

It's a simple fact that if you provide people with more options to access a particular event, there's going to be more people who venture down that road. Gone are the days when $60 to watch the fight on your TV was the only real option. And those options are going to become more reliable, better quality, and more accessible as time goes on.

The UFC have to move with the times. It's not feasible to throw an event onto PPV every month and ask people to pay $60 for it simply because it's the UFC. That doesn't work anymore. And until then they'll see their numbers dip. That's not because the fighters themselves are doing anything wrong or are lacking in anything, it's just because the market has become so saturated that people aren't paying that kind of money on a monthly basis anymore.

People automatically blame the headline fight for low numbers, and bang on about needing more stars and needing fighters to promote themselves more. That's not how it works. If everyone was Conor McGregor then Conor wouldn't be so special.

The old WWF system of four big events a year is what they need to look at doing in my opinion, and screen the rest of the shows on television or their own online platform. 

5 minutes ago, David said:

The old WWF system of four big events a year is what they need to look at doing in my opinion, and screen the rest of the shows on television or their own online platform. 

I read somewhere the other day that UFC PPV's headlined by Mighty Mouse still draw a profit (around 2 million). I don't know much of that is down to PPV revenue, as I am a greenhorn when it comes to how these things work. 

Personally, I would prefer the UFC to adapt the model you proposed. Whether it is feasible or not is another matter. 

2 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

I read somewhere the other day that UFC PPV's headlined by Mighty Mouse still draw a profit (around 2 million). I don't know much of that is down to PPV revenue, as I am a greenhorn when it comes to how these things work. 

Personally, I would prefer the UFC to adapt the model you proposed. Whether it is feasible or not is another matter. 

I'd imagine it would depend on how many big stars they have on the roster at any one time, wouldn't it? If they had a Ronda and a Conor, both of whom are happy to fight three times a year then they have six PPV's they can sell.

Even if they have two legit stars willing to fight twice per year then they'd have their four PPV shows. 

Yeah I heard that about Mighty Mouse shows doing that and if it wasn't for TV money, WWE would be losing money, if they can get a bit more for their TV rights IN 2018 & have the TV company handle production outside of the PPVS they can afford to lose a few PPVS but it's just them noticing a guy or girl who would draw, I remember half the MMA Internet crying when Rousey headlined above Henderson-Machida and she just became a bigger & bigger star. Conor was obvious if they kept him winning but not all stars are like him.

• Paid Members

Similar to WWE, the UFC's next telly rights deal(s) will be massive for them. Right now, without question, their biggest revenue driver is PPV, which is why they're probably reluctant to reduce shows, seeing as they need to be making cash to pay off buying the company.

16 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Promoting the PPV 'wolf tickets' bollocks or not, hearing GSP say "Fuck off, man" to Bisping has been one of my favourite things in MMA all year. 

It's wonderful. It's like Ned Flanders calling someone a cunt. I don't know how Bisping didn't crack up. 

I don’t understand why Bisping keeps telling GSP to keep his hands off him when he clearly keeps provoking him by touching him first, I’ve never been a huge fan of GSP but seriously Fuck Bisping.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

I don’t understand why Bisping keeps telling GSP to keep his hands off him when he clearly keeps provoking him by touching him first, I’ve never been a huge fan of GSP but seriously Fuck Bisping.

This is straight after the recent press conference where GSP shoved Bisping. He's talking about that. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, David said:

He fronts up to him and puts his finger in his face. GSP was perfectly entitled to bat his hand away, which is all he did.

I'm not saying who's right or wrong in the whole thing. I was just letting tildeguy know what Bisping was going on about backstage when he was kicking off.

Archived