UFC 217: Bisping vs St Pierre

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

100%. It's impossible not to learn something new from Cruz when he's doing a show. I always enjoy when Cruz is on a proper sports show, because you can see the host is completely in awe of his knowledge and, as you rightly point out, ability to sell it in an interesting way. His interview on the Rich Eisen Show being the best example of that.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
3 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

I also thought that was Jon Anik's best PPV show yet. His rhythm with Joe and DC/Cruz has usually seemed a bit off, but he was WAAAAY more relaxed and in sync on this show.

Anik has really grown on me. I used to see him as a QVC presenter playing at being an MMA commentator but I have to admit he's got a lot better over the last couple of years. He was really good on this show. The highlight for me being after Bisping's aggressive glove touch with GSP, Anik never missed a beat and said 'First significant strike goes to Michael Bisping!' or something. 

As much as I love DC I've got to agree with @METAL ON METAL on the repeated 'THUG ROSE' thing. Two or three times fair enough. After like 20 it got ridiculous. 

• Paid Members

Yeh, i hear you on that. I think DC was just having fun with it though, i took it as DC doing his version of the "Stone Cold...Stone Cold" JR quote from the WWE, DC being the massive fan and all. It's a minor quibble though, DC is the main.

I like Anik too, he's generic but he seems to have fun with DC and Rogan. Anchoring a PPV like that has to be tough too, Anik has the toughest gig on that table.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Anik has really grown on me. I used to see him as a QVC presenter playing at being an MMA commentator but I have to admit he's got a lot better over the last couple of years. He was really good on this show. The highlight for me being after Bisping's aggressive glove touch with GSP, Anik never missed a beat and said 'First significant strike goes to Michael Bisping!' or something. 

Aye. When the stats were buggered up for the Wonderboy fight, Anik dryly retorting with "wish I could tell ya", when Rogan asked about leg kick numbers, got a laugh too.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Has UFC Fight Pass stopped with the international replays/48hr delay? Was hoping to watch the show tonight, but it's showing as blacked out

i thought PPV's popped up on Fight Pass around 5 days after the event? Fox cards go up quicker.

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, METAL ON METAL said:

My main gripe on this show was the whole shouting "THUG ROSE! THUG ROSE! THUG ROSE! THUG ROSE! THUG ROSE! THUG ROSE!" x12, it felt so fucking forced and unnatural. Kinda off-putting when there's a fantastic genuinely emotional moment happening in the cage and all you can hear is him still shouting that even a minute after it happened.

Whilst I agree in principal about the 'Thug Rose' thing in that it went a bit OTT, it was anything but forced and unnatural. For me it was Cormier showing a ridiculous amount of passion for what he does, and what you heard there was genuine emotion from him.

Again though, it was too much, but certainly not forced.

• Paid Members

It's less annoying than Rogan's cheerleading, to be honest. DC's outbursts are a singular instant, whereas Rogan keeps pushing the same bias throughout the match.

• Paid Members
On 11/7/2017 at 10:56 AM, Egg Shen said:

Dillashaw's win was incredible. That picture posted earlier in the thread summed it up, picture of the year that is for me. He's been made a heel in the whole Alpha Male case and to throw it back in the crowd's faces at MSG was amazing, the range of emoitions in that single image, incredible

But if the Alpha Male side is to be believed then he fully deserves to be made the heel. Dirty shit like throwing knees during boxing training, ending a team mates career via strikes to the back of the head during jiu jitsu training etc.

I understand why people don't like Garbrandt but TJ comes off as even more of a twat if you ask me.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Chunk said:

But if the Alpha Male side is to be believed then he fully deserves to be made the heel. Dirty shit like throwing knees during boxing training, ending a team mates career via strikes to the back of the head during jiu jitsu training etc.

I understand why people don't like Garbrandt but TJ comes off as even more of a twat if you ask me.

If they thought he was that big a cunt though why didn't they kick him off the team? He was the first member of the team to bring UFC gold to that gym so I guess his dickheaded behaviour only became an issue when he decided to leave Team Alpha Male. Dillashaw might be a complete arsehole for all I know. I've never liked him either, to be honest. But TAM aren't really in a position to take the moral high ground when they were happy to keep him on the team after these supposedly unforgivable actions. They all can't stand TJ and Cody has said in the past that they were never friends, so why did they give so much of a fuck he left anyway? The whole thing seemed pathetic. 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

I'm not the biggest fan of T.J.

However, the claim that he ended a teammate's career was denied by the teammate in question (Chris Holdsworth) 

Was it? I thought he went on the MMA hour and confirmed it.

Edit:

“T.J. has always been a great fighter, he’s a great athlete, but he’s always had, I don’t know, some type of competitive feud with me ever since I came to the team. I don’t know if it was because of envy or jealousy or whatever it was, but I just kinda always brushed it off as him being competitive and being, just, ultra-aggressive. I was always up for the fight, but there was multiple occasions where T.J. got a little bit too aggressive, he went overboard in training. He’s kneeing you while we’re boxing. He’s throwing elbows while we’re doing jiu-jitsu. And I remember that instance that’s out in the public — yeah, it’s definitely true.

“I shot in on T.J. and I was on all fours, he was sprawled out and he kneed me on top of the head. And that was before The Ultimate Fighter. I remember I was kinda jarred up and everyone was watching, and I took like 30 seconds off and I kept going, I kept going through the rounds and I finished practice. But after that practice, I was concussed, and that was my first concussion. And it just kinda kept happening from there.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/10/30/16572804/chris-holdsworth-breaks-silence-about-t-j-dillashaw-incident

Archived