UFC 217: Bisping vs St Pierre

wandshogun09

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Mickey Gall is fighting Randy Brown on this card now. 

I've updated the opening post with previews for Jedrzejczyk vs Namajunas and Gall vs Brown. 

For some reason it won't let me add a poll now. Shame because I think it'd have been one of the more interesting polls to see. Especially for the Bisping vs GSP fight. 

• Paid Members

I was just listening to a bit of Joey Diaz on Schaub's podcast and I fucking loved this quote from Diaz about GSP;

"I gotta go back to GSP. GSP grew every time I saw him in the ring. He refused not to grow. I'm not promoting the fight with him and Bisping, I'm just making a statement. What I'm saying is, GSP is one guy that I'm not surprised was champion. GSP taught me how to be a really good comic, because GSP kept fuckin' growing. He would stay with the Arabian dude up there in Toronto, but he would go to Renzo's. You know? He would go to that black dude in the village and kickbox, he would go to some wrestling camp. He would go to gymnastics, you would see him on fuckin' rings! WHAT DOES RINGS HAVE TO DO WITH KICKIN' SOMEBODY IN THE FUCKIN' HEAD?! WHAT IS IT, HANGIN' FROM RINGS? He became champion. He always was fresh. And this is what you gotta do."

• Paid Members

Couple of fun little interviews here. Not the normal MMA media stuff, they're both New York Hip Hop stations, so don't expect much depth to the questioning. But I found both interviews really fun to watch. 

GSP on Hot 97 with Peter Rosenberg. Just always comes off as the nicest bloke you could meet. Loved his stories about working on the bins years ago. 

And Bisping was a riot on The Breakfast Club; 

Charlamagne: What about pussy? They always say you can't have sex before fights. 

Bisping: Yeah, well...they ARE pussies. Listen, I've got a ton of testosterone in my body. I can have sex and still whoop someone's arse. 

Charlamagne: Even, like, the night before? 

Bisping: YEAH! Day of. 

Angela Yee: I don't think that's a good idea. 

Bisping: Well. Been there, done that, paid off alright.

I hope he does.

With Romero off the table now, he’s got no must see/mega or even obvious fights after this one and he’s got nothing left to prove after the career he’s had. Win or lose, a fight against GSP at MSG (in which you’re on PPV points) is pretty much as fairytale an ending as it comes for an MMA fighter.

The bloke is the ultimate overachiever and a soon to be hall of famer, pulling off what he did with what is clearly a sight limitation was something I don’t think even his biggest fan would’ve seen (pun intended) coming.

He’s already got what most fighters don’t have - a post-fight career! He’s got a very cushy spot doing UFC punditry and also his little acting gigs to keep him busy.

Plus as Dana always says, if the word ‘retire’ is even mentioned then chances are you should be.

• Paid Members

It's funny now, but most of us were typing similar things after he beat Silva. Yet here we are, the arse end of 2017 and Bisping is the champion of the world, about to headline one of the biggest cards of the year at MSG.

Although it's proper film ending stuff if he twats GSP and retires as champion. This main event is such an odd one, because I'm happy both men are fighting each other, but (outside of McGregor and Lawler and 25 other fighters) they're two fighters I want to see winning all the time. It's about the only time I'll hope for a draw.

He's on borrowed time with that eye of his. I've been worried about how he'd fare if he faced the likes of Weidman, Romero or even Rockhold again (I know he beat him before, but I think he'd get smacked 9 times out of 10 like he did in the 1st fight), and don't think he needs that in his life now. He's accomplished the impossible. Go out on a high.

I reckon he should call it after this one. He's not going to get a bigger payday than this even if he does win. He got a (questionable) decision against Anderson Silva and just about got passed Hendo last time out, going on past this just leaves him open to getting an absolute pasting and potentially been seen as a former Champion that got lucky.

Having said that, I'm going with GSP to get the decision victory 

Archived