UFC 217: Bisping vs St Pierre

wandshogun09

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Theoretically, GSP and McGregor could both vacate their titles, and meet in the middle at 170lbs or at a catchweight. Whittaker and Ferguson could then be promoted to official champions to avoid the divisions being held up further (and clogged up with interim titles). Neither Lightweight or Middleweight have a shortage of viable contenders. I don't think this will actually happen. I have a feeling that McGregor vs Ferguson will get made for early next year, which will be one heck of a fight.

• Paid Members

Dana reckons this comfortably cleared over 1M buys and is on track to shatter their expectations. He also said it looks like it beat McGregor v Mayweather on PPV in Canada. Not bad for a dull Canadian (yes, I'm still bitter, David).

Pleased most for Bisping. If he was losing his belt, I'm at least pleased he'll be getting 7 figures for it.

• Paid Members

Same Col. Not usually into that after a fight but I'll overlook it because Cody's a willy. Same when Brock was calling Frank Mir all the motherfuckers under the sun post-fight at UFC 100. I know it's wrong but if the one on the receiving end is a cunt, it's alright with me. 

Oh and gotta love the Hulkster insinuating himself into last night's festivities; 

image.jpg

• Paid Members

Well that was spectacular.

GSP/Bisping was a mini roller-coaster. Sorry Shane-o and Whittaker's Mother,  GSP/McGregor is the fight to make. They need to get on that quick, it would no doubt be the biggest thing they've ever done. I'd see GSP turning Conor full feel with the crowd too.  It would be bags of fun. It sucks for Tony and Whittaker, but I really hope Conor comes calling. 

JJ tapping to strikes was beautiful considering how much of a thunder cunt she'd been this seek. Freshens women's 115 up so I'm down with that. 

And similar to the above, TJ doing the business was really nice to see after the first round knockdown and the MSG fans cunty reaction. He shut everybody up right there. 

Rest of the show served a great little starter for the 3 main fights. What a show. 

What a show that was. Every single thing delivered, and then some. You got the feeling this card absolutely had to deliver, and it more than met those high standards.

That's got to cement GSP as the best ever then hasn't it? Unbelievable. What a fantastic fight that was. Georges starting strong, before it looked like he was starting to fade going into the third, and then replying by turning Bisping purple. What a performance. Honestly, it's difficult to see him being knocked off of his perch for now at least. I'd argue he's got a good chance against Whittaker, I'd more than fancy his chances against anyone at 170, and he'd completely have his way with McGregor. He's so good, and so smart. Electrifying bloke. I love him. Bisping is one tough fucker as well, he was literally turning into a beetroot and he still wouldn't give up. I'm glad he's got this massive payday to somewhat cushion the blow, he's more than earnt it.

Loved Cody vs TJ as well. Proper balls to the walls stuff that, you always got the feeling through that fight you were watching the two best fighters in their division. A real technical war that was. I thought TJ was going to be battered in the 2nd round, he looked wobbly as fuck at the end of the first and was probably saved by the bell, but being able to recover in the way that he did proves how much of a hard bastard he is. Maybe not right away, but I'd love to see these two fight again. lo

Joanna :( 

Thompson looked fantastic too. Really just outclassed an incredibly aggressive, in your face fighter in Masvidal. Kept light on his feet, maintained distance and just really picked him off, with his punches especially. Thought Jorge could have offered a bit more in his striking defence to be honest, Thompson was constantly finding a way through whenever he fancied. It's left Wonderboy in a bit of a rut now though, he's #2 ranked but I can't see anybody on the entire planet clamouring for Wonderboy vs Woodley III. Maybe chuck him against Covington, or the loser of Lawler/RDA.

Borrachina is money. What a star he could be! I'm annoyed at myself for presuming Hendricks could be anything other than a big, useless lump but that was a performance and a half, against a big name and former UFC champion no less. If I'm Dana, I'm doing everything I can to get Borrachina headlining this Fight Night they have in a few months over in Brazil. That's some serious potential right there.

Prelims were all fantastic fun as well. Shame to see Duffy going out two seconds before the bell, but it would be harsh to say Vick didn't deserve his victory. OSP landed a stunning knockout over Anderson, and seeing Harris get disqualified for knocking Godbeer down a good 2/3 seconds after the referee called for a pause was a laugh.

Probably only just behind 189 in terms of quality from a live UFC show I've seen personally. Magnificent stuff.

Fantastic show, the three title matches really delivered. Massive shock that Joanna lost, but she'll be back. Cody acting the big man back fired big time. That feuds not done. Huge comeback victory for GSP. I think he's arguably in the top 3 GOAT discussion. Stepped up to 185 and put on a great performance. I don't know how much longer Mike Bisping will fight now. He was hinting at retirement so maybe there's a rematch down the line with George. As for GSP, I really like the potential fight with Whittaker. Plus he can drop down to fight Woodley if he so chooses. Had Anderson Silva still be at the top of his game that would have been the super fight that MMA fans would really want to see. It will be interesting to see what St Pierre does next but arguably he has cemented his position as a MMA legend now.

DC said he think Joanna will rematch Rose and that seems a strong possibility. Joanna blitzed through the division so Thug Rose derailing her is a big deal. Like when Ronda lost that loss might take the wind out of her sails a little because a lot of the fight game with the elite fighters is the mental aspect where they believe they are unbeatable and when they lose it must knock their confidence. I mean Ronda Rousey was never the same when Holly beat her but I think Joanna has the mental toughness to bounce back.

Cody/TJ went really as I expected. Dillashaw really got under his skin and I think because Cody was so amped up it backfired big time. Had he focused more on preparing for the fight than trash talking then the result might have been different. Urijah Faber wasn't pleased TJ won but he's retired now and say he comes back I think it's a lock Dillashaw will win that. Like I said this feud isn't over even though they hugged and shook hands. There's still bad blood there and I'm sure Cody will continue to trash talk. I wouldn't rule out a second fight there at all. 

Overall a really solid night of fights. Rose has to win MVP of the night. Arguably there hasn't been a shock title change like that since Matt Serra beat GSP. 

21 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

That's got to cement GSP as the best ever then hasn't it?

He already was in my book. Even if he had been blown away by Bisping last night, I wouldn't have altered that opinion. Last night merely cemented GSP's status as GOAT further. Jones was the only established fighter who might - just might - have given him a run for his money. Sadly, as we all know, Jones has seemingly spunked away any chance he had of being the GOAT. 

Unless GSP pisses hot - which he almost certainly won't - his status is secure for the foreseeable future. 

• Paid Members

i'll chime in with some thoughts tomorrow, but fuck me, i won't be forgetting 217 in a while. No real classic fights, but in terms of memorable moments those last 3 title fights will be hard to top on the bounce like that. Usually a 3 title fight main card backfires cause you have a couple of 5 round stinkers, not so tonight, great stuff.

Archived