Weird stuff people cheer

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

I still find it astonishing the mega-pops the Dudleys get putting women through tables in 2000. Wrestling fans are strange.

Remember reading in John Lister's Slamathology book that Perry Saturn said at one of the ECW Cyberslam Q&As that he wished Eric Kulas had died because he made pro-wrestling look bad and it got a big pop.

Strange breed.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Hot tags. Now from a psychology and match flow point of view it's obviously exciting that you know the big fiery baby face is about to unleash hell on the bad guys, but fans getting so behind it and going crazy for the tag (usually to the most popular person in the match) just takes away from the sense of Kayfabe that maybe the hot tag will instantly be stopped by a swift punch to the face.

Reading this back this may be more a gripe with wrestling than stuff fans cheer though. Or a combination of both.

• Moderators

It makes perfect sense, and in Tag Team wrestling with the masters of the trade there would be "hot tag" which would be as you described so when the Hot Hot tag was made it'd be amazing. Hot tags were often a hope spot in the south before the real hot tag. 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Enzo Amore. 

"My name is Paul Heyman..."

The repeating stuff enrages me. Catchphrases are fine, but i feel like Heyman has cut the same promo for 5+ years. Enzo has only been on the main roster 18 months right? Feels like a lot longer.

Doesn't matter if someone is the biggest heel either, the crowd still repeats. Miz taking the piss out of crippled hero Daniel Bryan by doing the yes kicks, do the moron fans boo or chant "No"? When Ive seen it, they all chant "yes" along with him. They HAVE to join in. So annoying.

• Moderators

It's not dumbness whatsoever, just modern tags are formulaic without the hope spots, and someone in their early 20s has better things to do than watch and notice changing patterns in tag matches from the south in the 70s to pretty much all US wrestling now.

Not dumbness, a life. 

The Rock saying poon tang pie in the Attitude Era because Hooray! The Rock mentioned lady parts springs to mind. The routine he had mentioning he likes many kinds and lists several types. You know? It goes cherry, apple, pumpkin (with emphasis on the P as you know it's coming) and it comes,

• Paid Members

- I always found it strange that children and parents would cheer for HBK when he occasionally did his stripping routine.

- unfunny 'comedy',  such as Hornswaggle, the stupid little cunt. There's a lot of really contrived unfunny bollocks at times, but the live crowd usually soak it up, it's as if there are plants or cue lights that flash with "laugh".

- And the one that gets me the most ......... 'predictability'. 

Scenario: 4 wrestlers in the ring arguing about what happened the night before at Tuesday night in Texas. 1 is the champ, the other 3 believe they are no.1 contender.

GM appears at the top of ramp and says "well im going to change things up a bit, tonight in Swindon (cheer) we are going to have a tag team match, we will see the Nasty Boys taking on Virgil and his partner... (quiet anticipation even though he/the champ is clearly stood in the ring with them all).... Duke Drosse (crowd go bananas).

I just wish that one time instead of the inevitable and obvious final name announcement a random name from the back would be called instead. Has this ever happened in a screw style angle?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

GM appears at the top of ramp and says "well im going to change things up a bit, tonight in Swindon (cheer) we are going to have a tag team match, we will see the Nasty Boys taking on Virgil and his partner... (quiet anticipation even though he/the champ is clearly stood in the ring with them all).... Duke Drosse (crowd go bananas).

"Fantasy booking not your strong suit, is it Richie?"

2 hours ago, Coles84 said:

The CM Punk chant is another. 

Adding to this people doing chants about someone who is not even on the show, Punk is a good example. Woo (Flair) is another. What?! as well. 

1. It's annoying and comes across like fans putting themselves over.

2. It's disrespectful to the talent on the shows today. 

Archived