Stables

tiger_rick

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I like those other stables like the Dangerous Alliance, first family etc where it's just lads and lasses in the employ of one manager, and sometimes he gets them to team up and go after the tag belts, or rough up the champ so his top guy can have a crack. Of course the Horsemen goes without saying, Arn coining the name like that was brilliant, and it always worked so well. Even when Tully was off doing his "Tully Blanchard Enterprises" thing with JJ Dillon.

It got a bit crowded in the WWE & WCW in the late 90s when there was the Nation, the DOA, Los Boricuas, Kai En Tai, The Brood, DX, nWo Black & White, Wolfpac, lWo, and everybody else. Didn't the former Sign Guy Dudley form his own Dangerous Alliance in ECW around that time as well? There was the Network as well.

• Paid Members

The New Dangerous Alliance, with Sign Guy being Lou E Dangerously and the tag team being CW Anderson and "Beautiful" Billy Wiles. Shame the gimmick was a Poundland re-tread because Anderson was a decent rassler.

After that resounding success, Wiles was repacked as Bilvis Wesley. There's a guy never meant to catch a break.

Christ, that New Dangerous Alliance was so low rent. Although a resounding Lou E. Dangerously memory is him twatting Gertner with the phone at...I think Anarchy Rulz 2000. Styles starts roughing him up, the crowd goes crazy, and then we randomly cut to a security camera shot of the production truck, where Paul Heyman screams at throws a bottle (or something) at somebody for the error. Man, ECW 2000 is fugly.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Christ, that New Dangerous Alliance was so low rent. Although a resounding Lou E. Dangerously memory is him twatting Gertner with the phone at...I think Anarchy Rulz 2000. Styles starts roughing him up, the crowd goes crazy, and then we randomly cut to a security camera shot of the production truck, where Paul Heyman screams at throws a bottle (or something) at somebody for the error. Man, ECW 2000 is fugly.

I think WCW and ECW being fucked up is part of what makes 2000 great. You've got the WWF putting on near-perfect TV week after week, until Austin comes back to ruin it, while their competition is imploding. Irritatingly, after years of following WCW and ECW through PowerSlam, mid-1999 was when I finally got Sky, WCW and ECW got home video releases and I discovered tape trading. So I could finally get into both products, just in time for them to be terrible. At the time, I still enjoyed it though. WCW was a car crash. ECW was pushing guys I really liked like Jerry Lynn and Tajiri. So I enjoyed that. In retrospect, it's not pretty though.

• Paid Members

I have such a soft spot for 2000 ECW; it's around the time I got back into wrestling, and before long I was big into ECW - trying to follow it along live as best as I could, while also just picking up every VHS I could get my hands on in HMV. So, for me, as much as it was older ECW stuff that made me a fan, Heatwave 2000 was probably the first full ECW show I saw, and the one that got me hooked.

So scrubs like Scotty Anton and Lou E. Dangerously will always be a part of happy ECW memories for me, and it never felt like the promotion was collapsing anything like as spectacularly as WCW was at the same time - especially when, even amongst some shitty stuff in ECW, you still had Rhino wrecking The Sandman, Jerry Lynn and Steve Corino doing good work, Tajiri and Super Crazy tearing the house down, RVD "creating" the Van Terminator and so on. I think, even at their worst, the balance of Good-to-Bad was always better in ECW - hell, even at their best, there was a lot of shite, their best was just that much better.

• Paid Members

RVD getting carried out on his shoulders by Scotty when he's still fucked to confront Rhino and the Network... that was a moment. Walk used to pop that mob a treat.

• Paid Members

Dying days ECW is one of my top wrestling guilty pleasures.

So many guys on the roster I LOVE watching - all the guys Pat mentioned, plus the Guido/Tony version of the FBI, Sinister Minister, Simon & Swinger, Da Baldies, Kid Kash, Hot Commodity... I could go on...

With so many titles these days, I'm surprised they haven't had a Faction/Group title. I know that would mean you would always have to have a stable, but might liven things up a little bit. I would much rather have one set of tag titles (on say Smackdown) and a Stable/Faction title on Raw. 

4 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

With so many titles these days, I'm surprised they haven't had a Faction/Group title. I know that would mean you would always have to have a stable, but might liven things up a little bit. I would much rather have one set of tag titles (on say Smackdown) and a Stable/Faction title on Raw. 

In a Way the Tag Titles are sort of already a Stable/Faction Title

Its been established with the Freebird Rule years ago and in more recent times with the Spirit Squad, The New Day and I believe the Wyatt Family during there brief run with the titles when it consisted of Bray, Orton and Harper that any duo of a Group/Faction/Stable can defend the Tag Titles

• Paid Members

Would have been an interesting twist if one set of tag titles was a six man tag title, and the other was a regular one.

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Would have been an interesting twist if one set of tag titles was a six man tag title, and the other was a regular one.

WWE might be the only promotion big enough to pull it off, but I personally think there's no point having both a regular tag and a six-man title in the same company. I never understood why DragonGate went and introduced the Twin Gate titles when they already had the Triangle Gate ones - it made more sense to have the Triangle Gate titles only, because they mostly had multiple-man tags and singles, and regular tag matches were too rare to warrant their own belts. WWE have recently been having a lot more of both, but most other companies tend to have one type a lot more frequently than the other.

Archived