UFC 216: Ferguson vs Lee

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Exactly Colin. I don't really know where the belief in Lee comes from. The data just isn't there to base it on. We know Ferguson is a beast. Everything we've seen from Lee, in the cage not at press conferences, has been pretty so-so. He looked good in the Chiesa fight, regardless of the outcome. And I have no doubt he'll improve. But we're not talking about down the line, we're talking about October 7th. Just a few weeks away. I don't think Lee is going to have improved enough to cope with what Ferguson is going to bring. 

Edit - even this Mayweather connection with Lee, do people really want to see more of Floyd and Conor chatting shit to each other? We've literally just had months of that. And we've just seen them go all buddy buddy at the press conference. I've got very little interest in them reheating that with Lee just hanging around in the background holding Floyd's book bag. 

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Wasn't Wonderboy vs Masvidal meant to be on this card as well? I was looking forward to that fight, I must have missed it getting cancelled. Still the main event should be a damn good fight and the co-main will give us the chance to see if Lewis can step his game up to the next level of Heavyweights. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, 217 is ridiculous. So ridiculous that a fight like Masvidal vs Wonderboy is kind of getting lost in the shuffle. I'm going to try and get the thread up for 217 this week so we can properly get into talking about that card. 

• Paid Members

Yeah but Garbrandt had looked great going into the Cruz fight, was unbeaten, had finished most of his wins and hadn't been stopped by a grappler. He wasn't getting by on talking shite and wearing clothes that Pat Butcher left at the charity shop. Going into the Cruz fight I don't think it was as much people not rating Cody, more that he was fighting the best bantamweight of all time and they weren't sure Cody was ready. Everyone knew Cody was a beast they just didn't know how much of one he was. 

Lee could surprise us, but I don't know why people would think he would based on what we've seen. His trash talk won't do him any good in the cage. If he can back it up like McGregor has then fair play. But I've seen nothing in his game that should really trouble Ferguson. Ferguson has already beat better fighters than Lee, IMO. 

On 03/09/2017 at 9:44 AM, the_mole said:

People I know call white people monkeys, he called those two steroid pumped white guys monkeys that's probably just something he says, Ireland doesn't have the same race problem and certainly not at the level the US has. Sure he should have picked his words better but some times you say things that sound worse than you meant them.

Conor, for all if his brilliance, does have a penchant for being a bit of an ignorant fool. Be it calling a German citizen with family from the old Soviet Union a Nazi, or calling a Mexican-American a cholo, or asking a black man to dance for him and making monkey references, he's not the brightest, is he?

Now, one little slip up I can understand, but he has form in this area. Not beyond a bit of ethnic or racial stereotyping is our Conor. 

6 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah but Garbrandt had looked great going into the Cruz fight, was unbeaten, had finished most of his wins and hadn't been stopped by a grappler. He wasn't getting by on talking shite and wearing clothes that Pat Butcher left at the charity shop. Going into the Cruz fight I don't think it was as much people not rating Cody, more that he was fighting the best bantamweight of all time and they weren't sure Cody was ready. Everyone knew Cody was a beast they just didn't know how much of one he was. 

Lee could surprise us, but I don't know why people would think he would based on what we've seen. His trash talk won't do him any good in the cage. If he can back it up like McGregor has then fair play. But I've seen nothing in his game that should really trouble Ferguson. Ferguson has already beat better fighters than Lee, IMO. 

Were you not impressed by how easily Lee dealt with Chiesa? I was actually pretty surprised by how easily he dealt with him. The stoppage maybe came a bit early, but that fight was ending sooner rather than later.

21 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

i think the questionable stoppage instantly voids it as a valid win in some fans eyes, which is a bit shit.

Thing is, despite what Chiesa says about being all set to do a Hulkster and drop the hand twice before hulking up and winning, he was on his way out. He wasn't escaping from that.

• Paid Members

The Chiesa win was his best win and performance, no doubt. But not enough for this 'next big thing' shit I keep hearing. And it's not enough for me to have confidence in him beating Tony Ferguson either. Chiesa is good but Chiesa - Ferguson is quite a leap. 

45 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

The Chiesa win was his best win and performance, no doubt. But not enough for this 'next big thing' shit I keep hearing. And it's not enough for me to have confidence in him beating Tony Ferguson either. Chiesa is good but Chiesa - Ferguson is quite a leap. 

Chiesa was being talked about as a title contender before he lost to Lee though, wasn't he? The truth is, the dude is on a 9-2 run since coming into the UFC, and has won 5 on the bounce, with the last 4 being stoppages.

Will he beat Ferguson? I don't know to be honest, but I'm certainly not writing him off. I wouldn't be surprised if he did, and if he does he's the man in this division as far as contenders go. Khabib hasn't been anywhere near active enough lately, so the winner of this is gonna be next in line for a title shot.

• Paid Members

Was Chiesa being talked about as a title contender? If he was that totally passed me by. He probably wasn't that far off I suppose but I don't remember anyone really talking about Chiesa in the title mix. He was always below that Khabib, Ferguson, Barboza, Alvarez, Dos Anjos level over the last few years. 

Hey, if Lee wins then whatever. I'm not saying he's shit. I just don't buy him as the next big thing. There is a middle ground. 

• Paid Members

yeh Chiesa was in that little pack just below for me. Chiesa/Lee was the perfect type of fight to elevate one guy. Kevin Lee has walked into a shot he may not fully deserve due to the circumstances with other guys who are in the mix. 

Archived