TUF 26: A New World Champion

Really Big Shoe

• Paid Members

That's a point. But still, we'd have got the fight sooner. Maybe 216 or 217. 

Still, thinking about it, it's probably better this way. I didn't really think about the turnaround. After a fight like Gaethje vs Johnson you don't want to be rushing a guy back in there. And Alvarez too, actually. He's taken some knocks in his last two fights. He took loads of clean shots off McGregor and then he had a war with Poirier in May. With that in mind, maybe TUF was a good thing for them to kind of rest up and recharge while still staying in the game and sharp mentally. And we'll probably get an even better fight out of it in the long run if they both come back fresh. 

When is the fight meant to happen actually? It's usually December, isn't it, with the September seasons of TUF? 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 9 September 2017 at 11:29 AM, Noah Southworth said:

I would surmise that the fight is most likely to take place on the live finale, which is on December 1st.

Just read it's happening at UFC 218 on December 2nd.

I liked both fighters this week, both seemed pretty cool so it was a shame to see one of them knocked out of the tournament. Didn't even click that Maia Stevenson was Joe Stevenson's wife until she said it. 

Sijara Eubanks looked badass in the fight and that kimura finish was nasty. The weight thing is worrying though. She's going to have to make that weight another 2 times on the show if she's going to make the finals. There's only so much cutting her dreadlocks that's going to help. 

Oh yeah, and in the pre-fight fighter background video package thingy for Eubanks, was that Dorian Price from TUF 6 behind her? He was pointing at Eubanks and said something like 'next TUF champ'. Looked like him. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Anyone still watching this? 

Predictable result this week. Honchak was just too experienced and seasoned. The only x-factor was her time away from the sport and her maybe coming in rusty. Gillian did better than I thought but she was clearly outmatched. Felt sorry for her when she was getting elbowed at the end. She seems like a nice girl but that obviously isn't going to win you fights. 

And I've always been a fan of his as a fighter but I think Eddie Alvarez is coming off as a decent coach so far. Of course he had the favourite this week so there wasn't a whole lot he had to do. But I think he's come off good throughout the show so far. 

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Finale for this is on Friday. And so far the card is looking fucking skeletal...

- Womens Flyweight Final

- Andrew Sanchez vs Ryan Janes

- Joe Soto vs Brett Johns

- Terrion Ware vs Sean O'Malley

- Eric Spicely vs Gerald Meerschaert 

- Lauren Murphy vs Priscila Cachoeira

That's it. Obviously they're going to fill it out with girls off the show but that's a weak as fuck lineup on paper, isn't it? There isn't one fight I'm arsed about. I mean, Soto vs Johns could be decent but I'd be lying if I said I was excited about it. Considering the last TUF finale in June had that Gaethje vs Johnson FOTY contender, this is a massive comedown. 

Oh well, 218's the night after so no big deal. Just didn't realise how bare bones this was.

• Paid Members

i was gonna watch the season but i ended up deciding against it cause i cant handle anymore female MMA. That finale card is woeful though. I'll tune in for Johns/Soto and that'll be about my lot i think. Cant believe they haven't put a headliner on there above the TUF finale.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I think it's because the final is a title fight. They did the same on the strawweight TUF with the Esparza vs Namajunas final. 

They really should've just put the Alvarez vs Gaethje fight on this. They're the coaches anyway and 218 is strong enough without that fight. Plus, on this card they could've had Alvarez vs Gaethje as a 5 rounder whereas on 218 it's the second fight on the PPV and 3 rounds. 

On paper it's a poor card but sometimes these types of card deliver with the fights themselves. I said this before but UFC should have more a quality over quantity approach with their shows. They've gone overboard with the weekly cards especially the recent Fight Night in Australia which was like never ending. I'd have put the TUF title fight on 218 instead. Maybe incorporate it some other fighters from the season into the prelims also. I guess they have to fill in airtime for their Fox Sports deal but when there's too many cards the interest level drops a bit.  

• Paid Members

I think they can still do as many cards but they have no need for as many fights on the cards. Anywhere from 8-10 is plenty. 13 is way too many. For them it's spending money for no gain, for us it's more to have to follow and makes what could be a fun, short, snappy show, into a slog. I'm perfectly happy to watch fights every weekend, but I'm not watching 6 hours of it. 

• Paid Members

Ive said it before but i still feel its a case of MMA fans having been spoilt in the past when it comes to show depth. When they were running a lot less shows a year it was easier to get invested with undercards because you got to know everyone across the cards, these days, outside of PPV's it's usually better to look at undercards for what they are, undercards.

It's more like boxing now where the undercard takes place and less people pay attention. PPV cards are stronger than ever now though and if they continue with that i'm happy.

• Paid Members

UFC need content. They've got live tickets & Fight Pass to sell & TV deals to fulfil. I watch most shows (often skip the prelims) but rarely watch them live so I can skip through all the bollocks & just get to the fights. It might be 5 hours on the planner but it's usually about 2hrs worth of actual watching (not including Fight Night Australia last week obvs!)

Yeah but look what happens, sometimes with Fight Pass 4 fight main cards, they ended up having around an hour to spare and BT then put on the HBO version of Tyson-Holmes including entrances & post fight, that's a 30 year old fight they just stuck on.  I don't have Fight Pass (have BT You view, so I can watch fight cards from the last few years) and don't feel I'm missing that much, perhaps some nostalgia fights and I only ever watch prelims, if I watch the card live, I will say I fell asleep during the main card in Australia and watched back the Werdum fight later but the prelims were pretty good but wasn't that interested in the rest of the card.

Gastaleum looked good, I know Bisping probably shouldn't have fought but he's retiring soon and I hope he makes as much money as possible, because unless he comes out of retirement after March, he'll never earn that type of doe again.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Really Big Shoe said:

On paper it's a poor card but sometimes these types of card deliver with the fights themselves.

I hear that. It could turn out to be really good but it helps when there's at least one or two fights on the card that you give a fuck about and are looking forward to.

It used to make me laugh when Dana used to trash people for criticising weak looking cards and he'd be going 'How the fuck can you fucking say the fucking card is weak, you fucking fucks? It hasn't even fucking happened yet' etc etc. Well, by that logic his job as a promoter is pointless because if you can't judge a card before it happens then it works both ways and he shouldn't be saying a card is 'sick' (or whatever other teenage slang word for 'good' that a 50 year old man shouldn't be saying) when it hasn't even happened yet either. 

11 hours ago, Dead Mike said:

I watch most shows (often skip the prelims) but rarely watch them live so I can skip through all the bollocks & just get to the fights. It might be 5 hours on the planner but it's usually about 2hrs worth of actual watching

Yeah, this is what I do now most of the time. I'll stay up for PPVs if there are fights on them that I'm particularly erect for. But Fight Nights, with the ridiculous amount of adverts, are much easier to digest the next day with the benefit of the fast forward button to skip through the thousand breaks. 

Archived