TUF 26: A New World Champion

Really Big Shoe

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

good shout Shoe. I didn't realise it was starting so soon, i'll start it and see how i get on.

If Roxanne is seeded 1 though it doesn't leave me much hope for the talent on the rest of the show.

Modafferi has always had this cult following of fans because of her goofy, geeky persona, but the truth is she's 34 years old and although she's went 6-2 since leaving the UFC she's not really been fighting the toughest of opposition, has she?

I guess we'll see, and hopefully she does well, but I don't hold out much hope for any of the talent on the show to be brutally honest.

• Paid Members

Anyone watch episode 1 yet? 

We've said it loads of times before on past seasons but it's so much easier to get into the first episodes when you don't have to sit through a load of back-to-back mind numbing elimination fights. This was a way better introduction and at least gave us time to digest what the fuck was going on. I think one of the problems with the elimination fights episodes on past seasons is they've had to introduce us to everyone on the show in one episode. It's too much and it all mushes together into white noise. We don't have to know everyone's story right away. The early TUF seasons didn't do that, you got to know the guys gradually. I know for me personally, I'm more likely to stick with a TUF like this where, right from the start, each episode has its own featured fighters and their story instead of chasing me off with wall to wall fights which I have no investment in. 

And like with the strawweight season, I like that they're seeded from 1-16. Gives the tournament a nice little wrinkle. And the fact that there's a title at the end automatically takes it a notch above the tired old bog standard TUF format we've come to know. 

Early observations obviously but based on the little I know of the contestants, I felt like Team Alvarez got the better of the team selection overall with Honchack and Murphy. They got Eubanks who I know Noah mentioned to look out for when the cast came out. 

The fight wasn't much of anything really this week. Roxanne Modafferi getting the quick win over an inexperienced opponent. She got caught with a few hard shots but once it hit the floor it was a wrap. 

Seeing absolutely nothing happening between the coaches this season though. There's time but I just can't see it. Guess it doesn't really matter but it helps on a show like this. 

Oh and I can't remember the names but I hope the Armenian girl batters her opponent next week. The American seemed mega overconfident and cocky in the staredown to me. 

2 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Anyone watch episode 1 yet? 

It was a solid if unspectacular show, although they did a great job of getting over both Roxanne Modafferi and Shana Dobson. As you said, because they don't have to cram so many fights into the show, it gives them more time to focus on the fighters. And even though Roxanne won, I'm in agreement that Alvarez seems to have got the better of the team selection process. I think Team Alvarez have a great shot of taking both spots in the tournament final.

On 8/31/2017 at 1:38 PM, David said:

Modafferi has always had this cult following of fans because of her goofy, geeky persona, but the truth is she's 34 years old and although she's went 6-2 since leaving the UFC she's not really been fighting the toughest of opposition, has she?

There are women at bantam/strawweight who might move to 125, but in terms of who actually fights at flyweight, she has indeed been fighting the best fighters in the division.

2 hours ago, weevil said:

There are women at bantam/strawweight who might move to 125, but in terms of who actually fights at flyweight, she has indeed been fighting the best fighters in the division.

Among Roxanne's opponents in her post-UFC run were the #1 (Jennifer Maia) and #2 (Vanessa Porto) ranked female flyweights in the world, and whilst she lost both fights, Roxanne went the distance in both of them and she only lost to Maia by split-decision. And the combined record of Roxanne’s opponents going into their fights with her is 83-19-1, and none of them had a losing record.

The idea Roxanne didn’t face the best or the toughest post-UFC is completely inaccurate.

15 minutes ago, Noah Southworth said:

Among Roxanne's opponents in her post-UFC run were the #1 (Jennifer Maia) and #2 (Vanessa Porto) ranked female flyweights in the world, and whilst she lost both fights, Roxanne went the distance in both of them and she only lost to Maia by split-decision. And the combined record of Roxanne’s opponents going into their fights with her is 83-19-1, and none of them had a losing record.

The idea Roxanne didn’t face the best or the toughest post-UFC is completely inaccurate.

Didn't she drop down in weight though? Essentially managing to avoid all of the heavy hitters at 135lbs? I'm no female MMA expert, but there literally isn't one 125lb female fighter that I know of apart from this Roxanne girl, and that's only because she was the geeky gonk from that season of the Ultimate Fighter.

• Paid Members

Episode 2's aired so I assume spoilers are fair game in here now? 

Deanna just squashed Karine :( 

I like Karine. She seems really nice but she definitely was out of her depth here. All through the show I started getting the darkhorse vibe off Karine. She reminds me a bit of Randa Markos. But it wasn't to be. 

I get the feeling Deanna is going to be one of the more annoying cast members on this season. Sad story about her dad but fuck me she's like a kid who's had too many sweets. All the time. 

Felt sorry for Emily with the rib injury. Was she the girl who said she's homeless as well? What a shitty break if she ends up out of the competition. Although surely the UFC will at least give her a shot at the finale. Not like the division is heaving with fighters so they'll need all the bodies they can get.

Does anyone else think Justin Gaethje seems awkward as fuck all the time? I guess it's understandable really. He's one fight into the UFC and it's all new shit to him. Didn't help that he spent most of this episode having to advise Karine through a translator (she was awful too). 

I liked Karine too and underdog stories like hers really get over well, so I was disappointed to see her lose in such comprehensive fashion. Agreed on Deanna. I'm all for being positive but if you don't tone it down once in a while, it becomes annoying. Emily should get a break, especially, as you said, with the division needing bodies, although she'll have to deliver at some point. As for Gaethje and coaching, it could be that he's new to it but it also could be that he's not a good coach, and we'll probably find out which it is as the show goes on. And that's not a knock on Gaethje, because not everyone can make a good coach.

I'm also starting to think that we're not going to get much in the way of fireworks between Gaethje and Alvarez. It  just doesn't feel like their personalities play off of each other in a way that creates tension and drama.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I love both as fighters but I don't really think they're cut out for reality telly. Which is fine. But it's making me wish they never chose them. All it's doing really is delaying the fight. We could've maybe had Alvarez vs Gaethje added to tonight's UFC 215 if they weren't tied up with filming TUF. A card like 215 could've really done with a fight like this. 

Oh well. 

I actually think Alvarez could've been a really entertaining coach if paired with the right opposing coach. Like if they'd done TUF for his fight with McGregor or even Melendez given their history. Or a Nate Diaz fight. Alvarez vs Gaethje isn't that type of thing. I think I actually like the fight better but for coaching TUF it's whatever. 

Saying that, I'm less arsed about a coach rivalry on a season like this where there's a title on the line and the tournament has higher stakes. I really enjoyed the strawweight season a few years ago as well and I genuinely can't remember one thing Pettis and Melendez did or said the whole season. 

46 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

We could've maybe had Alvarez vs Gaethje added to tonight's UFC 215 if they weren't tied up with filming TUF

In theory, but that would have meant a two-month turnaround for Gaethje after the Michael Johnson fight, and I don't believe it's a good idea to come back that quickly after a fight like Gaethje had with Johnson.

Archived