Southpaw Regional Wrestling Is Back

RIDDUM_N_STYLE

You have to go with the Sea Creature vs Big Bartholomew for THE FARM. That's the marquee matchup. For when they conclude it I'd have Mr Mackelroy become a Vince McMahon type character who buys Southpaw and runs the territory out of business setting up a Rise and Fall special. Something like a ppv from Big Barts farm as a one night only event network special would be fun. Then if it catches on make it happen more often. Stuff like a Legends of Wrestling, Table for 3 and a retro ride along where Tex2Badd get lost would be fun too.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

To say he was active thirty years ago, Pelvis Wesley looked well on Raw. Fuck's sake, Vince.

On 24/08/2017 at 7:36 PM, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I genuinely thought the whole thing was a rib on Jim Cornette. Vince is petty enough to go to all that trouble to annoy him. 

I suspect these are less to do with Vince at all and more to do with somebody found a box of wigs backstage

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, ianmingo said:

I am not a fan of this stuff. Seems like they are trying to hard to be edgy. Leave the 80's in the 80's.

Now if they did one of the 90's (the attitude era) that would be great. That's the best wrestling has ever been.

What's so bad about the 80's (arguably when Wrestling was as its hottest), and what's so great about the 90's then?

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, ianmingo said:

I am not a fan of this stuff. Seems like they are trying to hard to be edgy. Leave the 80's in the 80's.

Now if they did one of the 90's (the attitude era) that would be great. That's the best wrestling has ever been.

What's "edgy" about it?

It's an affectionate parody of the cheesy low-budget wrestling shows from the 80s that a lot them grew up watching. It's funny. I can't see how an Attitude Era one would even work. It was a completely different time, not to mention production style.

• Paid Members

Why leave the 80s in the 80s, but not the 90s in the 90s? If one's out of date, so's the other. And I'd say the 90s stuff has aged much worse.

Is it because they don't say "ass" every twenty seconds? Just accept it for what it is, the lads having a bit of a messabout and paradox ing what got (a lot of) them into wrestling in the first place.

Go back and watch Attitude Era, it hasn't aged well at all. And you we to try it today with how some people get offended by practically anything, they'd be done for. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it at the time, I fucking loved it. But it was very much "of its time", and you've got a strange mix of people who want the attitude era back and then complain that part-time Rock and part-time Goldberg are in main event matches at Wrestlemania. Someone mentioned in the Game of Thrones thread a couple of days ago how some of that audience are just like some wrestling fans, "they want everything the way they want it to be, yet be shocked & suprised at the same time"

• Paid Members

a 90s one would probably end up looking like a bad ECW Knockoff. Might as well go and watch some CZW for that, as they don't appear to have completely let go of that period of wrestling.

An early 90s SPRW based on the WCW/WWF with the bright neon colours and OTT cartoony gimmicks would be fun. An attitude era one wouldn't though because there isn't a feel good nostalgia factor added to it. Southpaw works because the characters by and large are likeable. Only Mr Mackleroy is playing the heel but even then he's unthreatening and more a pantomime villain. Plus guys like Chad2Badd would be playing their current gimmicks in a late 90s Southpaw and it'll be too close to home so to speak because most of today's gimmicks are a slightly toned versions of Attitude era type ones in most instances.

On 9/1/2017 at 8:42 AM, WyattSheepMask said:

Is it because they don't say "ass" every twenty seconds? Just accept it for what it is, the lads having a bit of a messabout and paradox ing what got (a lot of) them into wrestling in the first place.

Go back and watch Attitude Era, it hasn't aged well at all. And you we to try it today with how some people get offended by practically anything, they'd be done for. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it at the time, I fucking loved it. But it was very much "of its time", and you've got a strange mix of people who want the attitude era back and then complain that part-time Rock and part-time Goldberg are in main event matches at Wrestlemania. Someone mentioned in the Game of Thrones thread a couple of days ago how some of that audience are just like some wrestling fans, "they want everything the way they want it to be, yet be shocked & suprised at the same time"

The attitude era was really successful. Look at the buy rates.

I just don't think the 80's is a cool as everyone makes out. Look at all the starts that are dead now.

Archived