Southpaw Regional Wrestling Is Back

RIDDUM_N_STYLE

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
19 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Dolph Ziggler is so shit. Can't even get a laugh doing his own gimmick.

Do you think he realises it's a massive rib?

• Paid Members

Ziggler was fucking painful in this. The only person in the whole thing who doesn't seem to have a shred of self-awareness about it.

I'd love to see some of these pop up on the main roster for a one-off; someone like Tyler Breeze could easily pull off a match/backstage segment as Mr. Mackelroy.

Lance Catamaran is just amazing, though, highlight of the whole thing.

"I thought it was a tiny man".

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I'd love to see some of these pop up on the main roster for a one-off; someone like Tyler Breeze could easily pull off a match/backstage segment as Mr. Mackelroy.

Pretty sure I said this at the time of the first "season", but I'd have far preferred Tex Ferguson & Chadd 2 Badd carrying the Raw tag titles into Wrestlemania than the dour Anderson & Gallows.

• Paid Members

Cena is absolutely on point in the whole of this. How he can deliver those lines in that manner next to Fandango doing all that shit and not be corpsing constantly I do not know. If Southpaw Regional Wrestling stuff doesn't turn up as DLC at some point, then I'm sure the CAWs etc of it will be all over the community downloads section. We need to get Danger Zone/Beach Patrol Vs Tex2Badd on a preshow sometime with Lance Catamaran and Clint Bobski on commentary. The Butchers looked like they could have turned up in ECW in 1996 for a feud with RVD & Sabu.

• Paid Members

I think if they decided to run a one-off show as a Network special it would be really popular with fans and a tremendously useful exercise for so many of the boys (and girl) involved in terms of character and ring work, if they really went old school with the match style too.

• Paid Members

Southpaw battle royal at Mania? Throw some Southpaw guys into the Royal Rumble? They're nailing the whole "less is more" ethos of it, though. People tend to be hungry for more. What do they do for a season 3, though? Go back and prequalise further? Show the fallout from the Lethal Leap Year debacle? It'd be interesting to see a "10 years later" type thing where it's the mid 90s and companies are trying to ape ECW or WCW etc, but doing that without it coming across as hackneyed would be a bit tricky. I think 90s indie nostalgia isn't quite the same as 80s territory nostalgia. The other problem of doing Southpaw live is fans that don't get the jokes shitting all over it.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Southpaw battle royal at Mania? Throw some Southpaw guys into the Royal Rumble? They're nailing the whole "less is more" ethos of it, though. People tend to be hungry for more. What do they do for a season 3, though? Go back and prequalise further? Show the fallout from the Lethal Leap Year debacle? It'd be interesting to see a "10 years later" type thing where it's the mid 90s and companies are trying to ape ECW or WCW etc, but doing that without it coming across as hackneyed would be a bit tricky. I think 90s indie nostalgia isn't quite the same as 80s territory nostalgia. The other problem of doing Southpaw live is fans that don't get the jokes shitting all over it.

There's definitely a danger of them overdoing it - even aspects of this one I felt went too close to the mark; some of Fandango's stuff was just a step away from being too over-the-top to work, and probably wouldn't have worked without Lance Catamaran holding it together, and the "Voo and Doo" segment felt completely out of place. Conceptually, it's fine, and the sort of video package you would see used in Memphis to introduce someone like Kamala, but the way it was shot, and the video quality, was completely at odds with the rest of the series, and far too high quality, so it didn't have the feel of the period. Same goes to them cutting to stuff with Tex2Badd that, logically, they wouldn't have cut to.

It gets to the point where trying to focus on the jokes at the expense of plausibility actually kills the joke.

As for what comes next, I'd say do a full Network special of "The Rise & Fall Of Southpaw Regional Wrestling". Film some matches and stuff at the Performance Center with a small crowd made up of trainees, extras and so on decked out in period attire, cut to clips in-between talking heads discussing the stars of the period. Have the guys who actually appeared in the series in character, but also have some members of the current roster, or other veterans, talking about it as if it were a real territory.

• Paid Members
On 23/08/2017 at 0:51 PM, BomberPat said:

Film some matches and stuff at the Performance Center with a small crowd made up of trainees, extras and so on decked out in period attire

Yeah, I picture any Southpaw action being taped in something made to look like that empty pink room where AWA did the Team Challenge thing. And all shown in 'highlight' form, i.e. only tape set piece 'spots' and cut them together.

Mostly leaving aside any feuds we've seen referred to in the episodes so far, I'd have a 'card' as follows:

• John Johnson vs Porkchop Jones (Malibu Al ringside as 'sponsor' of the match)
  • Tex2Badd vs The Butchers
  • Big Bartholomew (w/Christian Joy) vs La Barba Grande
  • 'Astonishing' Adam Düng vs Impressive Pelvis Wesley (Sea Creature runs in & destroys them both)
  • Surf Dude with Attitudes vs Voo & Doo
  • Debbie Desperado vs TBC (Debbie wins by forfeit as they fail to find a second female wrestler in time)

Every single heel featured would be managed by Mr Mackelroy.

Dolph Ziggler wouldn't be allowed to take part.

• Paid Members
On 23/08/2017 at 0:51 PM, BomberPat said:

There's definitely a danger of them overdoing it - even aspects of this one I felt went too close to the mark; some of Fandango's stuff was just a step away from being too over-the-top to work, and probably wouldn't have worked without Lance Catamaran holding it together, and the "Voo and Doo" segment felt completely out of place. Conceptually, it's fine, and the sort of video package you would see used in Memphis to introduce someone like Kamala, but the way it was shot, and the video quality, was completely at odds with the rest of the series, and far too high quality, so it didn't have the feel of the period. Same goes to them cutting to stuff with Tex2Badd that, logically, they wouldn't have cut to.

It gets to the point where trying to focus on the jokes at the expense of plausibility actually kills the joke.

As for what comes next, I'd say do a full Network special of "The Rise & Fall Of Southpaw Regional Wrestling". Film some matches and stuff at the Performance Center with a small crowd made up of trainees, extras and so on decked out in period attire, cut to clips in-between talking heads discussing the stars of the period. Have the guys who actually appeared in the series in character, but also have some members of the current roster, or other veterans, talking about it as if it were a real territory.

What about Mean Gene or JR presenting a legend's roundtable about Southpaw, with Lance Catamaran on there with the usual roundtable suspects talking about it, or a Southpaw Table For Three? Getting Shawn, Foley, Flair and such to do the talking heads stuff for a network special would be pretty funny, and a few snippets from matches. There's ideas that could probably be developed, but how much is too much, and would we be able to trust the creative types at WWE to do such a thing without them screwing it up at some point?

Archived