Ric Flair now just ill

Gus Mears

On the subject of Billy Graham either this guy has made a deal with the devillage to live forever or the medical  Journalso need to bring him in asap:

2002: liver transplant

2006:major bowel obstruction 

2010: given 1 year to live (diagnosed with hep c)

2012: third stage liver disease an cirrhosis

2013: pneumonia, heart failure and liver probs

2017: declared free of hep c and apparently good health

By any standards that's insane?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently today Flair dumped his agent Melinda who has represented him for a few years now I think. Rumours are she was tweeting about his health to raise her own profile and didn't visit the hospital once, hence he's had it with her. Bit of a turnaround as he was very happy with her agency until the health scare by all accounts.

15 hours ago, RicFlairLegend said:

Apparently today Flair dumped his agent Melinda who has represented him for a few years now I think. Rumours are she was tweeting about his health to raise her own profile and didn't visit the hospital once, hence he's had it with her. Bit of a turnaround as he was very happy with her agency until the health scare by all accounts.

Wonder who owes who money in that situation?

• 2 weeks later...

Wrestling legend Ric Flair may have once commanded the ring – but after the cameras turned off, things “just got out of control.”

Decades of “social” drinking finally caught up with the 16-time pro wrestling world champion this year, landing him in the hospital and near death last month.

“I crashed in an airplane and broke my back, I’ve been hit by lightning,” Flair tells PEOPLE in this week’s issue. “But this is totally different. Anything I’ve been through before is nothing like this.”

On Aug. 11, the 68-year-old was rushed to the hospital with stomach pains. Within hours, Flair was in the early stages of kidney failure and on the verge of congestive heart failure – the result of years of alcohol abuse.

AAsgHIz.img?h=1067&w=728&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=© Jeff Siner/The Charlotte Observer/AP

Flair’s family members were told he had only 20 percent odds of surviving, and he was placed in a medically induced coma while they – including daughter, pro wrestler Charlotte Flair – took to social media to asks fans for prayers.

Doctors subsequently removed part of Flair’s bowel, and inserted a pacemaker. Now, in recovery at a convalescent center in Atlanta, Flair tells PEOPLE of the entire ordeal, “It scared the s— out of me.”

AAsgV6h.img?h=886&w=728&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f© Courtesy Wendy Barlow

He adds, “But I’m not out of the woods yet.”

Now, the man once known as the “Nature Boy,” needs a nurse to help steady his shaking hands so he can sip water from a glass. He admits, “I didn’t think I was an alcoholic, but obviously I was.”

Flair’s problem with alcohol started while he worked to build a camaraderie with his fellow wrestlers during the early days of his career in 1972. It helped them “bond,” he says, noting though, “I never drank when I was working.”

“But as soon as work was over, I went right to the mill,” he says, adding that he’s long struggled to “do anything in moderation,” and admitting to a failed rehab stint four years prior.

Alcohol also served as a tonic of sorts when it came to coping with his injuries and intense physical pain from his job. “I’ve never taken a pain pill in my life,” he explains. “I’d just take a shower, flip my hair back and go to the best bar in town.”

Now, the father of four says he is dedicated to doing better.

“I’ll never drink again,” says Flair. “I never want to go through this again

Wrestling legend Ric Flair may have once commanded the ring – but after the cameras turned off, things “just got out of control.”

Decades of “social” drinking finally caught up with the 16-time pro wrestling world champion this year, landing him in the hospital and near death last month.

“I crashed in an airplane and broke my back, I’ve been hit by lightning,” Flair tells PEOPLE in this week’s issue. “But this is totally different. Anything I’ve been through before is nothing like this.”

On Aug. 11, the 68-year-old was rushed to the hospital with stomach pains. Within hours, Flair was in the early stages of kidney failure and on the verge of congestive heart failure – the result of years of alcohol abuse.

AAsgHIz.img?h=1067&w=728&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=© Jeff Siner/The Charlotte Observer/AP

Flair’s family members were told he had only 20 percent odds of surviving, and he was placed in a medically induced coma while they – including daughter, pro wrestler Charlotte Flair – took to social media to asks fans for prayers.

Doctors subsequently removed part of Flair’s bowel, and inserted a pacemaker. Now, in recovery at a convalescent center in Atlanta, Flair tells PEOPLE of the entire ordeal, “It scared the s— out of me.”

AAsgV6h.img?h=886&w=728&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f© Courtesy Wendy Barlow

He adds, “But I’m not out of the woods yet.”

Now, the man once known as the “Nature Boy,” needs a nurse to help steady his shaking hands so he can sip water from a glass. He admits, “I didn’t think I was an alcoholic, but obviously I was.”

Flair’s problem with alcohol started while he worked to build a camaraderie with his fellow wrestlers during the early days of his career in 1972. It helped them “bond,” he says, noting though, “I never drank when I was working.”

“But as soon as work was over, I went right to the mill,” he says, adding that he’s long struggled to “do anything in moderation,” and admitting to a failed rehab stint four years prior.

Alcohol also served as a tonic of sorts when it came to coping with his injuries and intense physical pain from his job. “I’ve never taken a pain pill in my life,” he explains. “I’d just take a shower, flip my hair back and go to the best bar in town.”

Now, the father of four says he is dedicated to doing better.

“I’ll never drink again,” says Flair. “I never want to go through this again

I wish Ric all the best. I know how hard it is not to drink alcohol as a recovering alcholic myself and statements that "I'll never drink again" is all well and good. However, sometimes it is not as easy as that and the lure of alcohol is sadly too much. I hope Ric's friends and family support him through this and make sure he does not end up back on the alcohol for his own sake and his future.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

I watched it this morning. I imagine if you are a casual fan / non-fan the whole thing is brilliant. Sadly, while it was good at giving a glimpse into who Ric Flair is, it had to skip by chunks of his career and is filled with things you've hears told with more detail before. It really could have been made into a 2 or 3 parter, seeing how much they had to get through in an hour and a half.

Daily motion is your friend.

Archived