Most kayfabe-shattering moment you've witnessed?

Maikeru

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You hear spots getting called on TV all the time now, something to do with how they mic the rings nowadays, I think. One of the worst ones that I remember seeing on TV was at Wrestlemania 29, Triple H vs. Brock Lesnar. I think maybe because it was such a big stage that it bothers me more, I give more lee-way to a spot being called in a random Raw tag match over a marquee match at Mania. Brock mugs for the hard camera, and clear as day, you hear Triple H's voice yelling, "spinebuster". Sure enough, two seconds later, Lesnar takes a spine on the pine from The Game.

As for seeing in person, I'll go for a recent one- Wrestlemania 33 and Cena's proposal. I mean, it was obviously integrated into the TV storylines, but having Cena drop "Stephanie Nicole Garcia Colace" in a big Mania moment was an odd move, just for that extra nod of "hey, this is real, guys".

18 minutes ago, Sheffbag said:

no but read about it in PWI and WME at the time which is just the same as people posting what they see on tv isn't it?

Oh absolutely it is, bet it was a right letdown/mindfuck.  I think mine was Hogan on Good Morning Britain saying it was pre determined, my mum loved that after taking the piss out of me constantly for watching wrestling.

• Paid Members

I think how often you hear spots called in the ring is to do with them going HD as much as how they mic the ring - high audio recording quality means they're going to pick up that sort of thing more often than not. Cena gets a lot of shit from the likes of Botchamania for calling spots too loudly, but I think what's more likely is that he was one of the few guys competing regularly that's entrusted to call a match more or less completely on the fly to that extent, so law of averages is the guy in the position to call more spots is going to get caught calling them more often.

• Moderators

The famous Hogan/Bossman cage match from SNME was also on the Best of Hulkamania tape, except it wasn't the taping from SNME. It was the exact same match though, move for move, including Hogan superplexing Bossman from the cage, only Zeus didn't do a run in on the Hulkamania tape. At first, the young me thought they must have edited it, but I compared the two by swapping tapes back and forth, and realised Slick was wearing a different outfit.

A kid at school justified it by saying they'd had to redo the match because of Zeus interfering, and had agreed to use the same moves so the fans who'd had the first match ruined didn't feel ripped off.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Twatters said:

I've seen the Irish whip mentioned several times in discussions like this and it's something that's never bothered me. I think if you want you can give reasons for almost anything.  For example, in my head, when a wrestler is being 'Irish whipped', in their mind they are going to go with the momentum and run to the ropes and return with a move of their own on an opponent. Obviously it doesn't always come off but would be worth the risk.

Devil's advocate/intrigued - how do you therefore feel about/rationalise getting Irish whipped into the corner/ring post/barriers/cage/barbed wire/paddling pool full of electric eels/whatever?

1 hour ago, Statto said:

Devil's advocate/intrigued - how do you therefore feel about/rationalise getting Irish whipped into the corner/ring post/barriers/cage/barbed wire/paddling pool full of electric eels/whatever?

I can rationalise almost anything I think if I'm really into the match. Into ring post/barriers/etc they are normally closer so it's more believable. Into a cage/barb wire I would hope the opponent looks tired and dazed and/or is therefore acting on instinct and forgetting about the barb wire.  

Actually one of my pet hates in wrestling is when a wrestler halfheartedly 'throws' the opponent into the corner and the wrestler just runs into it. At least put effort int the 'whip'. Again, the fact that they might be able to reverse it comes into play to. But like I said, if I'm into the wrestling I can almost always forgive stuff like this.

I couldn't understand why WWE and Hogan were promoting Hogan Knows Best so much, especially in a feud with Randy Orton I think? Basically the reality show mentions numerous times how wrestling is predetermined, yet it's being referenced in a fued where we are meant to suspend our disbelief.  Just didn't make sense to me 

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Astro Hollywood said:

The famous Hogan/Bossman cage match from SNME was also on the Best of Hulkamania tape, except it wasn't the taping from SNME. It was the exact same match though, move for move, including Hogan superplexing Bossman from the cage, only Zeus didn't do a run in on the Hulkamania tape. At first, the young me thought they must have edited it, but I compared the two by swapping tapes back and forth, and realised Slick was wearing a different outfit.

A kid at school justified it by saying they'd had to redo the match because of Zeus interfering, and had agreed to use the same moves so the fans who'd had the first match ruined didn't feel ripped off.

I legit never knew that. I'm now not even sure I've ever seen the version with Zeus interfering. I don't know what to believe any more. I've gone full Mandela Effect over here.

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, Astro Hollywood said:

It was the fact that the WWF did the same matches, in different towns with usually the same result that made me realise that wrestling wasn't "real". But rather than spotting it on a tape, it was in the results section of one of the old wrestling magazines that someone purchased me. Can't remember which magazine it was as it was almost 30 years ago, but seeing the same matches "contested" night after night with the same results was a real eye opener...

Archived