Who WOULDNT be a top guy if they came along today...

Drfunke

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Was it WCW where the commentators were claiming it was an acronym for "Submission Through Fear"? OR was that somewhere else. Always thought it sounded really cool, if slightly unlikely to be a real thing. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Statto said:

If we're being pedantic, isn't it Stepover Toehold Facelock?

Fuck's sake, you're right as well.

*hands in pedant's licence*

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Someone should do a version incorporating a dragon sleeper.

That would hurt like fuck to apply, I imagine. Or at least apply to make it look anything like you're putting pressure on rather than just lying adjacent to your opponent face down on the mat.

On 16/08/2017 at 4:48 PM, Carbomb said:

Yeah, but Ryback's and Strowman's undefeated streaks didn't last more than a few months, whereas, IIRC, Goldberg's lasted over a year. I don't doubt people like the squash match monsters, but I do doubt that they could have a streak as long as Goldberg's before the crowd got sick of them, purely through the sheer volume of programming and no fault of their own.

Asuka has had a longer undefeated streak  which still could have a ton of mileage in it. They could keep that going until at least next years Mania I think. They should just have her write her out with an injury for a while so she has to drop the NXT Title then have her show up on a main show a few months later 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Asuka has had a longer undefeated streak  which still could have a ton of mileage in it. They could keep that going until at least next years Mania I think. They should just have her write her out with an injury for a while so she has to drop the NXT Title then have her show up on a main show a few months later 

That's cool, although I was under the impression from friends who've been following her that it was more a Tatanka-style "high level blue chipper" streak, rather than a Goldberg-style "absolute destroyer" streak, if that makes sense. I've not been watching NXT, so if I've got it wrong, by all means correct me.

• Moderators
On 16/08/2017 at 4:48 PM, Carbomb said:

Yeah, but Ryback's and Strowman's undefeated streaks didn't last more than a few months, whereas, IIRC, Goldberg's lasted over a year. I don't doubt people like the squash match monsters, but I do doubt that they could have a streak as long as Goldberg's before the crowd got sick of them, purely through the sheer volume of programming and no fault of their own.

WCW produced more hours of over the air programming per week during Goldberg's streak than WWE currently does. 9 hours a week between Nitro, Thunder, Saturday Night, Worldwide and Pro, and Goldberg would often be on three shows a week at first. So I don't think that's right at all.

• Paid Members
Just now, PowerButchi said:

WCW produced more hours of over the air programming per week during Goldberg's streak than WWE currently does. 9 hours a week between Nitro, Thunder, Saturday Night, Worldwide and Pro, and Gldber would ofgten be on three shows a week. Especially at first. So I don't think that's right at all.

Really?! Bloody hell, I honestly didn't know that. I was under the impression WCW and the WWF were producing around the same volume for TV, and that shows like Worldwide and Pro were more recap programmes for Nitro and Thunder.

Thanks for the correction. 

2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

That's cool, although I was under the impression from friends who've been following her that it was more a Tatanka-style "high level blue chipper" streak, rather than a Goldberg-style "absolute destroyer" streak, if that makes sense. I've not been watching NXT, so if I've got it wrong, by all means correct me.

She has been presented as being pretty unstoppable, even to the point of defending the title against multiple challengers at once. Mickie James came back because there was no one left for her to beat. They have done their best to build Ember Moon up, but I can't see her being worthy of ending the streak 

• Paid Members

Fair enough, then. Consider my entire point demolished, and withdrawn. Clearly, people do still appreciate a good streak, WWE still have an ability to book one, and TV programming now is theoretically better for booking it than before. I should probably get back to watching NXT.

Your point isn't completely invalid. They'd probably never be able to do it just like Goldberg again, in terms of getting a big top babyface star undefeated to a successful main title reign. If Strowman had been a babyface over the last year, he'd have gotten the "only pushed because of Vince's boner, he's worse than Reigns and Cena" reaction. As a heel, he's managed to get massively over, although a huge part of that is that he's been booked to batter Roman Reigns a lot.

With the women's division, they have more leeway as there are women like Asuka, who look like they can demolish the division and also have enough Internet points to not cause upset by doing so as a babyface. I don't know that there are many male wrestlers that tick both boxes - and if they don't, then they'll either be beaten too quickly or they'll get the Reigns/Cena reactions by the time they win the belt. 

• Paid Members
On 8/18/2017 at 10:42 PM, Carbomb said:

Really?! Bloody hell, I honestly didn't know that. I was under the impression WCW and the WWF were producing around the same volume for TV, and that shows like Worldwide and Pro were more recap programmes for Nitro and Thunder.

Thanks for the correction. 

Nah. I still think you've got a point. WCW had a lot of TV but they also had a fuck ton of reasonably over talent to fill those shows. They could do the slow build with Goldberg because, while you expected him to squash the Bobby Eatons and Jerry Flynns, putting him against Curt Hennig or Raven, at the time, did feel like a big step up. Raven, for example, had JUST won the U.S Title after a long, high profile, chase for it. When they had their match on Nitro  I really didn't feel like it was 100% certain that Goldberg would even beat him, much less squash him.

The talent just isn't there to do that kind of build these days, at least not on the main roster. You can't slowly work your way up because almost everybody is on the same level. There's also such a lack of star power at the top of the card that anybody with a bit of buzz is going up there pretty quickly and that'll lead to them either losing equally quickly, or the fans rejecting them, like Pitcos described.

Archived