Who WOULDNT be a top guy if they came along today...

Drfunke

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may be a bit controversial, but Sting.

Yes he had the charisma, but would that be enough now? His (sorry) "moveset" was awful. Stinger splash...pants. Scorpion death drop......cack. Scorpion Death Lock......shit sharpshooter. Even putting aside the outdated characters, could he compete at the top with the current roster?

He's basically Mojo Rawley on today's roster, but smaller.

• Paid Members

I think Goldberg, for sure. Not necessarily because of any specific deficiency on his part (although he had many), but because current WWE wouldn't have been able to book him in the undefeated gimmick, which was pretty central to making him into what he became. The lack of patience on WWE Creative's part would have him stuttering and fading the moment he gained any kind of traction.

In fact, I think it could be argued that one could point directly to Ryback as an example of what would happen if Goldberg debuted today. 

EDIT: On further reflection, you could also point to Lesnar's first run as an example. He was booked as a monster, but they didn't have the courage to have him run through the roster undefeated for ages - they ended up having him losing to the fucking Big Show instead of just tear right through him, which is what should've happened.

My pick would be Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Now this has nothing to do with the Wrestler, he is one of my favourite wrestlers ever, the reason i got back into wrestling.

But with PG and the Booking nowadays NO swearing, No Blood, No Risky Storylines, i just don't see him getting over at all

17 minutes ago, bradfordcity said:

But with PG and the Booking nowadays NO swearing, No Blood, No Risky Storylines, i just don't see him getting over at all

Plus the domestic violence wouldn't go down well and rightly so.

42 minutes ago, PSF said:

Scorpion death drop......cack.

Whoa there, Nelly! I love that move. Always looked lethal to me. Maybe that's a problem from a safety point of view (could be safe as houses, I don't know), but whenever Sting grabbed an nWo lackey by the hair and dropped them on the back of their head, I knew they were staying down.

• Paid Members

I think most would struggle, in truth, or certainly they wouldn't be what they became. Mainly because of how they do promos these days. Some top guys are better for it (Sting), but a big part of what made Austin or Foley so good was their ability to sell their shit on the mic. I mean Steve Austin would probably be winking at the camera and saying "suffering succatash" on the way to his first 'Mania. I think Austin has said as much too, and even brings up an example early in his rise when they were editing his promos, so had to have a word. Although typing that, Austin didn't seem to mind telling Vince his ideas were crap, which is probably hurting most of the roster.

The Rock is the only one I am certain would still be Hogan-cock big.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

I think most would struggle, in truth, or certainly they wouldn't be what they became. Mainly because of how they do promos these days. Some top guys are better for it (Sting), but a big part of what made Austin or Foley so good was their ability to sell their shit on the mic. I mean Steve Austin would probably be winking at the camera and saying "suffering succatash" on the way to his first 'Mania. I think Austin has said as much too, and even brings up an example early in his rise when they were editing his promos, so had to have a word. Although typing that, Austin didn't seem to mind telling Vince his ideas were crap, which is probably hurting most of the roster.

The Rock is the only one I am certain would still be Hogan-cock big.

Would Rock not suffer from Roman Reigns/Cena syndrome, where they don't "embrace the boos". I was a lapsed fan when the Rocky Sucks stuff happened, so I'm only  basing the opinion from what I have heard, but I thought it was the turn(joining the N.O.D.) that catapulted him on the road to mega-stardom.

If recent history is anything to go by, they would have kept him face despite the hate... 

• Paid Members

The most immediate name to me is Ric Flair. To get as close to how we love him if he'd start today he should be 1000 miles from the WWE - he would never get the highest exposure, ring time on TV or leeway with bookings that he's enjoyed throughout, and even getting away from the size he was pre-plane crash would be a no-no in Vince's eyes. The only upside to that is that he wouldn't have made as much money, thus he wouldn't be as much of a berk with it.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Whoa there, Nelly! I love that move. Always looked lethal to me. Maybe that's a problem from a safety point of view (could be safe as houses, I don't know), but whenever Sting grabbed an nWo lackey by the hair and dropped them on the back of their head, I knew they were staying down.

Yes. I bought into the Death Drop and the mystique of Sting turning up and smashing someone out of nowhere, I always thought "Boom, goodnight Jeff" and not once "Why is Sting doing the Slop Drop?"

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, PSF said:

This may be a bit controversial, but Sting.

Yes he had the charisma, but would that be enough now? His (sorry) "moveset" was awful. Stinger splash...pants. Scorpion death drop......cack. Scorpion Death Lock......shit sharpshooter. Even putting aside the outdated characters, could he compete at the top with the current roster?

I'm not blaming you (obviously), but this is the mentality I fucking hate so much from a lot of today's fanbase. The obsession with 'workrate' and 'good matches', yet they only really mean anything because of what led up to it.

Sting worked because of his charisma. I don't remember sitting down as a kid and finding his moveset to be limited. 

Yes, matches have more time on TV now due to the three hour Raw's. But there's so much (too much) indy influence on the WWE product, which is why wrestling will never get above a certain level unless they shake that mindset off. I'm not advocating a return to Attitude or even  PG-14 programming (PG is given too much of the blame for today's evils imo), but the micro managing and stifling personal creativity is my biggest peeve.

(Shit, I've gone all WrestleUK there haven't I?) 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

Would Rock not suffer from Roman Reigns/Cena syndrome, where they don't "embrace the boos". I was a lapsed fan when the Rocky Sucks stuff happened, so I'm only  basing the opinion from what I have heard, but I thought it was the turn(joining the N.O.D.) that catapulted him on the road to mega-stardom.

If recent history is anything to go by, they would have kept him face despite the hate... 

It's a fair point, but when The Rock was Rocky Maivia he was a much greener performer. Plus, he was very much midcard back then too. It's when he performed very well in the heel role that they decided to strap the old rocket to him. Also, The Rock did get booed quite a bit, back in the day, when he was a babyface, which lead to the exceptional Hollywood Rock run, which may very well be his finest run of work.

Archived