A wrestling playlist for newbies

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd want to show a bit of historical stuff, but not too much, especially when some of the older stuff doesn't come anywhere near resembling today's product. No point showing some crazy ECW hardcore battle to someone you're trying to convert/introduce to wrestling, when he'd then go and flick on WWE and see nothing that violent or remotely close.

1. Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat- Wrestlemania 3

2. Shawn Michaels vs. Undertaker- Bad Blood 1997 (HIAC)

The Rock vs. Triple H- Backlash 2000

2. TLC II- Wrestlemania X-7

3. Kurt Angle vs. Rey Mysterio- Summerslam 2002

4. Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels- Summerslam 2002

5. John Cena vs. Umaga- Royal Rumble 2007

6. Batista vs. Undertaker- Wrestlemania 23

7. Shawn Michaels vs. Ric Flair- Wrestlemania 24

8- Shawn Michaels vs. Undertaker- Wrestlemania 25

9. Brock Lesnar vs. CM Punk- Summerslam 2013

10. John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan- Summerslam 2013

11. The Shield vs. The Wyatt Family- Elimination Chamber 2014

12. Sami Zayn vs. Neville- NXT R-Evolution

13. Sasha Banks vs. Bayley- NXT Takeover Brooklyn

14. Sami Zayn vs. Shinsuke Nakamura- NXT Takeover Dallas

15. John Cena vs. AJ Styles- Summerslam 2016

15 matches, from the 80s to present, with a range of stars and styles. Singles, tags and women all make an appearance. Gimmick matches are featured, but nothing too barbaric- with the exception of Cena vs. Umaga. I wanted Jericho to feature in there somewhere, but wasn't sure what could be scrapped to make room. So, I'll keep Y2J as an honourable mention- any of his matches with HBK or Rey Mysterio.

• Paid Members

Team Austin Vs Team Bischoff from Survivor Series.

The 1992 Royal Rumble match

I think it'd have to be Flair Vs Steamboat from Chi Town Showdown

One of the Sasha Vs Bayley matches from the NXT Takeovers

If I may be so bold can I also suggest XXX Vs AMW in the Six Sides Of Steel, Joe Vs AJ Styles Vs Daniels from Unbreakable 2005 and Angle Vs Joe from Lockdown 2008?

• 3 weeks later...

I figured some of you might like to read my friend's reactions to the stuff he's seen so far, as a guy in his forties whose only knowledge of wrestling was a few episodes of the GLOW series on Netflix and The Wrestler movie. He lives in Italy so it's been easy to copy and paste his comments from Facebook:

Savage/Steamboat (WrestleMania 3)

Wow!!! That was something!!! I had a lot of fun!

The show is just amazing! The crowd, the antagonist commentators, the animal!😲

They are incredible athletes! The Dragon is quick for being a beast!

I laughed when Macho went out of the ring to take Elizabeth closer to him😬

Did they do a rematch? Macho should have won the match... if the referee had not been out😂

Anyway, I love the stories surrounding those wrestlers.

I probably would have been completely crazy about Steamboat when I was a kid loving Bruce Lee and this kind of characters :D

Hogan/Andre (WrestleMania 3)

Just watched Hogan-Andre match. This was awesome too! Wrestling looks more and more like a modern times Greek tragedy! What a showman was Hulk Hogan and man did the crowd throw every possible thing at Andre before and after the match!

I've a tiny confession. Right after Hogan-Andre match was over I looked for some more Wrestling (modern era) to watch and I saw 10 minutes of this: [link to Roman Reigns vs AJ Styles]

Only 10 minutes but WOW the techiques have evolved! It looks almost real! To be honest, those 10 minutes were amazing :D

Bret/Bulldog (SummerSlam '92)

Ok. The 3rd match you've selected for me had... EVERYTHING!!! Incredible technique, family drama, atmosphere!

Loved it! This will be the match I'll show to my wife to introduce her to real wrestling!

I'm starting to get how you can become a total fan of those wrestlers/artists/athletes when you are a kid!

As a kid I was fan of "Big Jim" and had his action figure. But Hitman, the Bulldog, The Dragon, Macho, etc... they are real! I also understand what makes a guy like Randy "The Ram" carry on and say, this is the world I belong to.

Man, the finale of the 3rd match was just perfect. This broadcast has probably been a huge success back in 1992! Was it?

Hogan/Warrior (WrestleMania 6)

I would have been a little Warrior. Not because he won this match or because I dislike the Hulk (I want to hug him everytime I see his face) but because the Ultimate Warrior is a badass hero to me :D By the way, I loved the pre-match declarations of the two fighters. That was awesome :))) Modern Wrestling seems to have changed so much from the 80s!

Did they do a rematch and if yes, did Hulk Hogan take his belt back?

Shawn/Razor (WrestleMania 10 ladder match)

I've started watching Michaels Vs Ramon. It's dislike for Shaun Michaels at first sight! (Booooooooooo!!!)

WOW!

What a match! Time flew while watching!

For the first time I've felt the pain for those two. I didn't know what to expect but I wasn't expecting the ladder to be such a star!

And to be fair, Shawn Michaels did very well. Those wrestlers are just incredible. Some moves are just unbelievable.

I'm starting to get why they can end up with really bad injuries...

The suspense in this match was just unbelievable! I thought Michaels would win, and then Ramon. It flipped during the whole match until the awesome finale :)))

Bret/Owen (SummerSlam '94 cage match)

I watched brothers at war! What an unexpected Finale!!! What did happen after this match? Did Owen and Bret eventually make peace? How did the Hitman and the Bulldog (his wife!) react to what the Anvil did? :D (It's like waiting for the first episode of my favorite show season 2!)
I was thinking when you explained the match to me "what strange rules" for the cage match. I understand now :D You better have good hair or not hair at all! I was counting the number of time they were both just about to get out of the cage and at some point I lost the count. Overall enjoyed this special type of match, but not as much as I did if there wasn't the backstory you told me and two brothers involved. And last but not least... Bret "The Hitman" Hart all the way baby!!! Owen go home!!! Booooooooooooo!

Bret/Austin (WrestleMania 13 submission match)

I don't get what exactly happened to him and what injustice he did suffer to change, as they say in the buildup... but go Bret, GO GO GO!!!

They are in the middle of the crowd... this is so AWESOME :D

Well, that was... brutal (my first blood actually)! I had the idea that submission match would be very tough for both of them, but of course and once again, it went beyond everything I was expecting! Match after match I'm convinced I've seen it all and every time you prove me wrong :D

There seemed to be a good deal of hate between the two! And what's the deal with 3:16? Is that the date when "Stone Cold" beat the crap out of "The Hitman"? I always forget to mention how the commentators are nasty. I like it :D (except for the comment about  Bret Hart's daughter which was a bit too much...). Did I understand the rule right, you can end a "submission move" if you can grab the ropes?

5-on-5 tag match (Canadian Stampede)

Those were the most intense 40 minutes of any show I've ever seen! Not to mention the fanciest family reunion of all the time. Steve Austin is a crazy beast! :D

Are there many Tag Team matches as intense as this one?

Shamrock as some really nice technique, not a suprise if he comes from UFC/MMA but I'm wondering... did he adapt well to Wrestling?

Also, liked the character of Goldust to be honest :)

The "choreography" of the match was awesome. I have tremendous respect for these athletes!!!

Wrestling With Shadows

F*** Y** Vince McMahon!

It was captivating. Enjoyed every second of it! Thanks to your preparation, I think I understood pretty much everything. Tough World for wrestlers...

Later I would be very interested by your opinion on the Montreal incident and also by your thoughts about McMahon choice to make The Hitman not only a villain but the most hated wrestler in the US at some point. Finally, what do you think was the real reason McMahon decided to break the 20 years contract with Bret?

Too bad I wasn't watching Wrestling when Bret Hart was an active wrestler. He would have been my hero for sure.

Survivor Series '98 (full PPV)

I'm still in the McMahon mysterious fighter introduction... he's talking about a legend... who jumped to WCW... it can't be the Hitman!?!

I'll discover in a few seconds but I don't want to be disappointed :(((

Stupid me... it couldn't be him. I'm still not over the Montreal screwjob apparently.

And I'm about to watch the penultimate match of Survivor Series 1st round. Goldust vs Shamrock. Go Goldust!!!

I'm about to start the quarter finals of the Survivor Series. Disappointed that Goldust lost to Shamrock (I don't like him very much...) but wow wow wow what a first appearence (for me) by the Rock!!! My prediction for the Final: The Rock-Stone Cold. Ultimate Survivor: The Rock.

Let's see if my bet is the winning one ^^

Ehm... maybe I should watch the Undertaker and Kane match before making bets >.< Especially now that I remember there is history between The Undertaker and Stone Cold...

I've completed the Survivor Series last night :) Was expecting this kind of twist but it went beyond my craziest expectations! Evil but genius McMahon! So many new doors have opened ^^ Can't wait to watch how it goes on after this Series and how long Rock will keep his title ;) Also enjoyed a lot the triple Tag Team match. This was awesome :)))

Clips from the next night on Raw

Haha, that was so great! And of course didn't end how I was expecting! McMahon is a genius and a puppet master!

Austin/McMahon (St Valentine's Day Massacre cage match)

That was awesome and as unpredictable as usual! I wish I had seen the Royal Rumble, from the pre-match preview, that must have been stellar!

Do we need to talk about a multimillionaire Company owner throwing himself into the arena??? Suffering the boos from the audience and the cheering everytime Stone Cold smash him down? Man, this cage match was something :)))

Rock/Austin (WrestleMania 15)

So... "Stone Cold" Steve Austin finally won his battle against Mr McMahon! The Wrestlemania XV match against the Rock was pure madness! I loved it :) I'm already eager to discover more about what happens next because I don't think Mr McMahon will let it go with Stone Cold!

He's currently taking a whistle stop tour of prime nWo-era WCW, so if there's any interest I'll post an update sometime. Toying with whether to include that Hogan/Warrior rematch he was asking about...

It's been really fun for me to relive it all through fresh eyes, and reassuring that the jaded cynicism often levelled at older events isn't entirely justified. What's nostalgic for me is brand new to him, and he loves it at least as much as I did at the time.

Just read all his reviews with a smile on my face. Kinda like that review that woman wrote about this years Mania as someone who'd never seen it it's interesting to see how total newbies to wrestling react to watching matches out of context. Things like knowing submission match rules, what Austin 3:16 is or even people's motivations can be taken for granted so it interests me how these things are digested without knowing what someone who has been watching for years knows. Really looking forward to reading more of these! 

The Rock vs Triple H at Judgement Day 2000....I know its a 60 minute iron man match but worth it for the end.

Triple H vs Cactus Jack at Royal Rumble 2000....infact I think the Royal Rumble 2000 is worth a watch on its on.

John Cena vs AJ Styles - Summerslam last year.

John Cena vs CM Punk when Punks contract run out (cannot remember PPV).

Brock Lesnar vs Roman Reigns when Rollins cashed in.

Goldberg vs Brock Lesnar - Survivor Series

• Paid Members
On 04/09/2017 at 11:19 AM, JNLister said:

I am so jealous of this guy being able to see all of this for the first time.

Absolutely, and as cobra said, I read through that with a big daft grin, the kind of feeling I imagine I'll get when introducing my kid to this mad world. 

Great read @Uncle Zeb

I'm really intrigued to find out how he takes to the likes of Cena. For me, I initially liked him, but then decided I didn't due to following the crowd and what not, but then came to terms in the last few years with the fact that overall he's great. However, that was 'as it happened', I've never met an adult who has recently got in to wrestling to ask their opinion.

• Paid Members

I can't imagine how easy it is to get adults into wrestling. I'd wager most of us here will have started watching as children and gotten invested in probably the 80s boom with the huge, larger than life characters or the 90s boom (like me), where wrestling did well to kinda latch on to the 90s counter culture, anti-authority, grunge stuff. If I'd never really been into wrestling before and somebody tried to get me into it by showing me great angles or matches from the past, I'm not sure that'd work because I wouldn't have the historic interest. 

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

I can't imagine how easy it is to get adults into wrestling. I'd wager most of us here will have started watching as children and gotten invested in probably the 80s boom with the huge, larger than life characters or the 90s boom (like me), where wrestling did well to kinda latch on to the 90s counter culture, anti-authority, grunge stuff. If I'd never really been into wrestling before and somebody tried to get me into it by showing me great angles or matches from the past, I'm not sure that'd work because I wouldn't have the historic interest. 

I agree, you have more chance of getting lapsed fans back in to it though apparently.

A lad I went to school with and was really good mates with recently got in touch in the last couple of weeks after he spotted a post of mine on FB. We were both bang in to wrestling at the time, during that point mid-late 90's when loads of people were.

His opening message simply said 'HUUSSS'. We just shot daft phrases back and fourth for a bit. It turns out he hasn't watched any wrestling since then, but stumbled across the Jake doc on Netflix and now wants to watch some old  stuff and get back in to it. So we're having a session around mine with the network next month and probs again for survivor series. I'm strangely excited.

Apologies if these have already been suggested but on top of your suggestions, I would have them watch...

Mankind v Taker (Hell In A Cell) - always shocks a non wrestling fan and makes them appreciate it's not 'fake' when I show it to them.

CM Punk v John Cena (Money In The Bank, 2011) - and show the pipe bomb Promo leading up to it.

If you're after a Women's match, it has to be...

Bayley v Sasha (Takeover Brooklyn)

and why not throw in Bate v Dunne from Takeover Chicago or the UK tournament to show some homegrown talent! 

Archived